Xenon Match Fog Light Bulb

H0mersimps0n

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I purchased MTEC H11 55W 4350K to replace my fog bulbs in my 2012 X3 (because lets face it, OEM fog bulbs aren't helpful in real fog situation nor aimed correctly either). They match the Xenon's about 90% (probably should've gone 4500k but whatever).

Since the fogs in the Golf are equally as useless, I want to do the same with my 2012 TDI Tech Package to match the LED DRL and Xenon's so even if they're not functional they can look good/match.

My search of the forum came up with these bulbs being 55W as well but no recommendations I could find for color matching? Also, are the fogs H7?

Any recs?

Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well I would suggest considering this. There is a big difference between the results when the direction of the light source is different than the direction of the subject.

That is if your eyes are in the same direct light path or not.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Put s set of Philips CrystalVision Ultras in my '12 Golf Tech. They are about a 95% match. Box says they run 4000k. Could not find anything that was 4100-4500k. Changing the bulbs and aiming the fogs was a good improvement. Fogs are now useful.

The bulbs are 9006 and I got them at K-Mart as none of the local auto stores carries them. $26 + tax.

HID upgrades are available for the fogs for $88-120. Don't know how well they work though. OEMPlus has em.

There is a DYI if you do a search for some good pics of the color difference.

Thanks for the information on the X3. I'll have to look into upgrading the wife's ride.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
With so much light in a short distance, you will wound up blinding yourself from the reflection of lights. Stick with halogen bulb for fog.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah but halogens don't look cool!

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
With so much light in a short distance, you will wound up blinding yourself from the reflection of lights. Stick with halogen bulb for fog.
No issues with HIDs for both headlights and fogs in my Jetta aimed correctly. Does affect long range vision, as one would expect.

HKB3

TDI
2012 Golf w/tech
The problem with the US cars is VW sets them up as "driving lights". If they were a true fog you should be able to run just the "fogs" without the headlights. I found this to be a big problem as we had a lot of dense fog for a few days right after I bought my car, the HID light reflects back off the fog so much it makes it very difficult to see. I have been reading up on the euro headlight switch that allows "fog/driving" light only operation.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Euro switch in action with DRLs off with VCDS coding change.

The switch (parking + fogs)

The lights (parking + fogs)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I purchased MTEC H11 55W 4350K to replace my fog bulbs in my 2012 X3 (because lets face it, OEM fog bulbs aren't helpful in real fog situation nor aimed correctly either). They match the Xenon's about 90% (probably should've gone 4500k but whatever).

Since the fogs in the Golf are equally as useless, I want to do the same with my 2012 TDI Tech Package to match the LED DRL and Xenon's so even if they're not functional they can look good/match.

My search of the forum came up with these bulbs being 55W as well but no recommendations I could find for color matching? Also, are the fogs H7?

Any recs?

Thanks
9006 bulbs.

My fogs on my Passat work fine.... in the heavy fog (not quite rivalling the Eastern Shore fog) and blizzards.

Though... I prefer yellow fogs.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I recommend yellow fogs, too. We have the PIAA ion crystal selective yellow fogs in the Mk4 and they're very nice in poor weather.

The Passat will eventually get yellow HID fog lights - we have 4300K HIDs in the head lights now.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I recommend yellow fogs, too. We have the PIAA ion crystal selective yellow fogs in the Mk4 and they're very nice in poor weather.

The Passat will eventually get yellow HID fog lights - we have 4300K HIDs in the head lights now.
Those aren't selective yellow.

The "ion" or "dichroic" don't filter out the blues, ... it just moves it off-axis, and allows the yellow filter to be projected on axis only. This is why when you look at the pattern and/or the light from the side, you see some blue-purple.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The problem with the US cars is VW sets them up as "driving lights". If they were a true fog you should be able to run just the "fogs" without the headlights.
Easy fix. Just buy a Euro switch. It is a simple pull it out and push in the new Euro switch in.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Easy fix. Just buy a Euro switch. It is a simple pull it out and push in the new Euro switch in.
Not that easy for the new cars. Replacing the switch is easy. Doing the rewiring and reprogramming the ECU is not difficult, just a pain. Take a look at the DYI.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
One option you may want to consider instead of matching. Install HIR1 (9011) bulbs instead. They run at 65W (a little over the 55W 9006) run at about 3800K instead of 3500K but put out about 3 times the lumens of a 9006. Best part they still have quite a decent service life (350hrs) or slightly longer life than a normal 9005 high beam bulb. If that doesn't make your fog lights effective, then nothing will.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Those aren't selective yellow.

The "ion" or "dichroic" don't filter out the blues, ... it just moves it off-axis, and allows the yellow filter to be projected on axis only. This is why when you look at the pattern and/or the light from the side, you see some blue-purple.
Yes and no.

While the ion crystal lamps have a dichroic coating rather than a selective yellow filter, the end result in the projector housings on the Mk4 fog lamps is selective yellow output on the road, with none of the blue off-axis light being visible in the beam or when viewed from the side.

busandcamper

TDI
2009 Golf GT 140 RHD
On my euro spec car (is this different to NA spec?) the fog lights turn on individually when turning a corner - lights up the direction you're looking to and the kerb. I like this feature but the halogen in there which I'm lead to believe is a 9006/HB4 is a bit weak - I would like a wide spread of light rather. Would an LED upgrade work here better? Like http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=235

VeeDubTDI

TDI
On my euro spec car (is this different to NA spec?) the fog lights turn on individually when turning a corner - lights up the direction you're looking to and the kerb. I like this feature but the halogen in there which I'm lead to believe is a 9006/HB4 is a bit weak - I would like a wide spread of light rather. Would an LED upgrade work here better? Like http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=235
I doubt that the LEDs will have the output or the light control that you're looking for. Notice how Bold-Sport doesn't bother to post a night time beam pattern pic? Also, they mention "if you want that OEM DRL look" which is a dead giveaway that they're not focusing on night time performance, aka ricer-mod. ;)

H0mersimps0n

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Thanks for all the replies. I like the prospect of the 9011 but am worried it will cause electrical issues?

Will post pics of what I end up doing

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I certainly wouldn't put 80w bulbs in it. That's a fire waiting to happen.

aznwhip

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
You don't want to use LEDs for any forward projecting light with halogen reflectors. It'll look like crap with no throw distance and tons of light scatter.

The whitest halogen bulb that can sniff HID white ranges you'll find on the market are Philips Diamond Visions. If you want anything whiter, go HIDs.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
yeah but halogens don't look cool!
Ziza, Hella, ORISAM, Phillips, and PIAA all make good halogen options that will match the color. Not as bright as Xenon, but ORISAM ZXE's seem to be as close to white and bright as it gets.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The problem with the US cars is VW sets them up as "driving lights". If they were a true fog you should be able to run just the "fogs" without the headlights. I found this to be a big problem as we had a lot of dense fog for a few days right after I bought my car, the HID light reflects back off the fog so much it makes it very difficult to see. I have been reading up on the euro headlight switch that allows "fog/driving" light only operation.
I agree.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The beam pattern of the lights tells you that they are fog lights (low and wide) and not driving lights (pencil beams with distance).

Driving lights supplement high beams, fog lights supplement low beams. If you install a Euro Switch, you can run the fog lights independent of the low beams, but still not with the high beams.