FS: 2004.5 Passat GLS TDI Wagon

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
SOLD: 2004.5 Passat GLS TDI Wagon

SOLD

In a shocking turn of events my folks consolodated their Tacoma and the Passat into a new Pilot and now have the Passat up for sale. It's a white/grey '04.5 GLS with the leather/wood package, ESP, etc. plus 35%/25% fornt/rear tint which is legal for FL. 47k miles. It's currently getting some squeaky belts replaced and the only current flaws are a slightly scratched wheel and a slightly creased top of the rear bumper (where the hatch closes... someone gave them a love tap at a light while reading the TDIClub frame). It's really in beautiful shape as my folks are a little crazy about keeping cars clean and in tip top shape. Asking $23,000. Title is in hand so no payoffs to worry about.

I'll get some pics of it up after they get it back from the shop.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
SnowCub said:
I will have pics up later this week. The car is at the dealer getting some squeaky belts replaced and it should be back Tuesday/Wednesday. We were hoping to have it back sooner (as in yesterday) :(

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
pics are here :)

This is the scratched wheel (my fault)

You can kinda see the crease in the rear bumper here.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
I was PMed asking for clarification on my comments from a little bit back regarding this car and this post:

01-04-07, 01:41 PM #8 eluwak vbmenu_register("postmenu_1575857", true);​
Veteran Member

Well... Engine related I had the shudder/hesitation issue. I also had a brake light switch problem.

My folks Passat has been more troublesome tho with a series of squeaky belts, hard starting, & excessive smoke. They also had a broken door latch mechanism for the passenger side rear door, The radio also does this wierd clicking noise intermittently when it's cold out. The car has about 50k miles on it now and the car has been in for all the issues but only the squeaky belts got any attention.
'04 Passat Variant TDI (folks)
'04 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C (mine)

[/quote]

I believe in full disclosure so I'll reply here.

The hard starts were probably related to bad fuel/filter.. It hasn't happened in a while (at least 5 months) and it's been cold lately and very hot since then... The symptom was kind of a stumble while starting but it didn't last long which is why I leaned toward it being fuel related. The filter had been changed which also could have fixed it. <edit> I forgot to add that the software reflash was done at their 40k mile service </edit>

The squeeky belt has been fixed now apparently.

This thread also talks about those two problems: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=150377

The door handle was fixed when the car had <5k miles on it I believe (it happened real early in the ownership).

As it turns out the radio problem was their XM Roady2 cassette adapter causing the problem afterall so that's become a non-issue...

Since there is only a 50k warranty when new there is basically very little if any to tranfer to the new owner (for those who want to know). Welcome to VW who lowers the powertrain to give a longer b2b :rolleyes:

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
It looks like you could still buy an extended warranty for $1500 to $2000 (ballpark) since it is still under warranty now.

The excessive smoke mentioned? Did that go away or is it still there?

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Rxfire said:
It looks like you could still buy an extended warranty for $1500 to $2000 (ballpark) since it is still under warranty now.

The excessive smoke mentioned? Did that go away or is it still there?
The extended warranty would probably be up to the new owner... I'll check into it.

The excessive smoke occurs when you step on it... My Passat did that too when you punched the kickdown switch (kinda nice sometimes for them tailgaters ;) ). My father followed the Passat this morning and did not notice much smoke but he wasn't really looking for it either. We've been using ULSD for a few months now... Not sure if that helps :confused:

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Regarding the extended warranty, doesn't the vehicle in question have to be under 24K miles? I thought I saw that mentioned in another post on this forum topic regarding warranties for sale.

Excessive smoke? What constitutes excessive? Seriously, I've never seen a TDI that didn't smoke under full throttle. I'm not trying to be critical, except that this could be subjective rather than a real problem. It's a Diesel!

Rough starting - my '04 will rough start when cold after driving a very short distance, like to the grocery store. Not sure if that is the issue in question.

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Sure, diesels smoke. Eluwak has an 06 Jetta TDI, and from his posts, he used to have a Passat that "did the same thing".

He (the guy selling the car, who has owned at least 2 TDI's) said it had excessive smoke. Now it is for sale, and hey, "maybe it wasn't so bad" as he stated before. Just trying to keep things honest here....

Beautiful car. Very.

Phil--does your Passat smoke more than your 03 wagon?

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, On the warranty our good friend Chris at VW of Langhorne has given me some quotes for 6 & 7 yr/100k warranties <sp?> that are Platinum and are roughly $1850 & $1950 respectively and must be done before the car hits 50k miles. you can read about the warranty coverages in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=143126

About the smoke...

I went Modded A4 Jetta TDI -> Stock Passat Wagon TDI -> Stock A5 Jetta TDI and I will say that the Passat smoked worse than the A4 Jetta did from a driver's point of view. My A5 is nearly impossible to get to smoke.

My parents went Stock A4 Jetta Auto -> Passat Wagon TDI Auto For the longest time they claimed it smoked like crazy compared to the A4 they owned before hand. I talked to them this today and my father followed the car and didn't notice excessive smoke but he wasn't really looking for it either.

Since my post the car had its' 40k mile service which included folter changes and they had the reflash done to fix those hesitation/stumbling issues even though they haven't had it. The car is also running ULSD since around the fest which may help it cut down on the smoke (I dunno but someone with more knowledge might chime in on that). Does it smoke more than other model TDIs? I would say yes... It smokes a more than my Passat did in that you don't have to punch it as hard for the smoke to happen but you still gotta hit it to get it if you know what I mean :confused:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Damn Scott, you would have to show pics of that white wagon. Good thing I don't have any $. :(

Wonder how much I could get for the 300TD???

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
RC said:
Damn Scott, you would have to show pics of that white wagon. Good thing I don't have any $. :(

Wonder how much I could get for the 300TD???
Sorry :D

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Two interested parties in the game... This time tomorrow she may be sold! :eek: :cool:

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
RC said:
You're gonna break my heart Scott. ;)
Sorry... SOLD!

She'll be going home with a well respected TDIClub member who wishes to remain anonymous.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
eluwak said:
Sorry... SOLD!

She'll be going home with a well respected TDIClub member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Hint! It wasn't me, myself, or I. I think the word, respected, did it, eh? ;) Later!