Radiator fan and ac fan not functioning, no ac

juanitoglez

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9
So for the past few months my ac has been acting up. Its would take a good 5-10 minutes before the ac would actually start blowing cold air. Looked this problem up and it seemed to be common. Fast forward a couple months and my ac was no longer cooling at all. :( Thought the problem was just my ac fan. Took it in to VW for a diagnosis. According to the diagnosis both fans were bad, plus my ac high pressure switch was also bad. So I purchased new fans and a new ac pressure switch and installed them. Well......

Both fans still wont turn on, and my ac is still not blowing cold. I checked the fan fuse under the hood by the battery and the one in the inside panel. Both fuses seem to be good. Has anyone had this issue? I would think this has to do with a certain fuse or wire.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
RCV, all you needed was a scan tool and 2 minutes of time to diagnose it. Never needed any of that other stuff... or at least, you would have no way of actually KNOWING if it needed it or not if the RCV was not functioning.

I would love to know how the idiot that "diagnosed" the fans and pressure switch came to that conclusion. :mad:

The irony here is, the place we get our RCVs from (about 25 a year...), is IN FLORIDA!

Polar Bear Inc.

juanitoglez

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9
I had considered replacing the compressor valve before I took it in for a diagnosis. So it seems like the RCV is a common issue. They aren't that expensive from what Ive been seeing, will be ordering one today. So a bad compressor fan would also prevent the radiator fan from working?

VW wanted over $900 to replace the fans and ac pressure switch themselves. :mad:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Both fans run at the same time. If there is no compressor operation because the RCV is bad, then there will not be any refrigerant pressure, so no fan operation. The fans may still operate if the engine gets hot enough, but sitting still (while you can open the hood and observe the fans) will not allow the diesel engines to make enough waste heat to have them run.

Seriously, scan tools. They work.

juanitoglez

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9
Late update

I realized I never posted an update on here. It turned out to be bad fans and a bad compressor. The first fans I purchased were bad(ebay parts:(). Got a remanufactured compressor and some new fans and I've got to say, the ac feels good down here in Florida. :cool: