Oil leak filler cap - 2.0 TDI PD

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
110kW 2.0 TDI Golf model 7
My 2005 2.0TDI PD is leaking some oil from the filler cap. The dealer replaced a seal, but that didn't help. Any ideas on what to check?

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
CCV seems to be working. At least I've some oil at the air intake side. Could it be a piston ring? If it is, what else would I be able to see or measure (with VAGCOM) The engine not losing a lot of oil although some time ago the oil level dropped suddenly twice. The last 1000miles the oil level is more or less stable.

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
I measured the crankcase pressure while driving. The maximum pressure was below 100mbar (1.4psi) at 1200RPM. This kind of pressure will not cause a leak normally I think. On a dutch site it was also mentioned that the oil cap may leak on these engines
The cap is now replaced and so far the leak hasn't come back.

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure. But before starting to replace things, I'd like to understand and make sure nothing else is wrong.

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
For the cap? Yes. But crank case vent, piston rings, head gasket and many more things can go wrong. 2.0TDI PD engines also have issues with cylinder heads.
As said: think first, than act.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I thought you had mentioned the oil was leaking from the oil filler cap..I would replace the cap(because it is cheap), if it wasn't the cap then the only other thing that could be leaking at the oil filler cap would be the VC(high dollar and costly to do the job).

So without further adue..I would throw an oil filler cap at it..

Sometimes....just sometimes..Its less costlier to throw a less expensive part at a problem, then it is to troubleshoot(troubleshooting is costly and sometimes carries a minimum fee).

Surely dont wont to get into taking it to the dealer or a ametuer and them sell you a VC right off the bat, because the oil filler cap would not bring in enough labor costs, so I will sell him a VC job.

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
My brain doesn't charge me extra. It's running all day. ;)
Let's stop this discussion. This forum has more interesting topics than a discussion between one person who likes to think first and another person who likes to try the most obvious solution first.

sycofiend71

TDI
2006 blue graphite 55,000 miles, average 44mpg. Sold :( 2014 Passat TDI (Wife)
check to see if the o-ring (seal) was pinched. Or if they even put it back. I had VW forget to put it back in when I got my oil changed.