Any one near Augusta GA to help with Timing Belt replacement?

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
So, I'm building up momentum here, my '01 TDI Beetle is rapidy approaching 120k miles and it's almost timing belt time, again.

I had the belt replaced at 60481 and the dealer replaced the timing belt, only the timing belt, no rollers, not the serp belt, no bolts, nothing on the invoice. At a cost of $426 in 2003. They did use the long life belt, but didn't do the tensioner or anything, the only part listed as relaced was, the timing belt.

I've read several threads, read through the DIY instructions, made a donation to receive the video, and read through pages of parts suppliers kit information. I'll probably go with dieselgeek's just because it seems to have the most extra stuff. I'm shopping for the specialty tools to lock everything in place, I'd prefer to rent a tool kit, but can buy if all else fails. I'm thinking I'll be ready in a few weeks, around Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for a anyone near me that might want to either help me out or guide me. I have a roomy garage, with almost any tool ever made, a registered Vag-Com, lights, music, a deep sink, etc. Any takers?

I actually live near AIken, SC, anyone up for this? Thanks, Chuck

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Try posting in the Southeast Region.
Also, check the "Trusted Mechanics by State" thread at the top of the 101 forum. Even if the closest is a couple of hours away, make an appointment and take a day off work if needed. Getting it done right and completely will give you another 100K worth of peace of mind.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Dieselgeek sells a fabulous kit for this... and if you have "a roomy garage, with almost any tool ever made" you'll feel right at home, because Jim will send you every part you'll ever need !!!

That said, take a look at metalman's kit... a bit leaner, but everything's there, and he also rents out the special tools... so you may be able to save a bit on shipping... www.metalmanparts.com

Also, download oldpoopie's checkoff list - I found it very useful!!!
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=18588&si=5254timing_belt_checklist.pdf

Good luck!!! just work carefully and double-check everything...

Yuri.