www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old August 28th, 2017, 11:25   #136
whitedog
Veteran Member

Yep. The Transit I used to take care of blew it's transmission somewhere around 200,000 miles but they were all highway miles. The rebuilder said it's a light duty transmission doing a heavy duty job. Ford also came out with a recall on the driveline. Maybe that will stop the Guibo from failing every 30,000 miles.
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:46   #137
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well they *look* plenty up to the task to me. It certainly is not a tiny part, and it is bigger than the 4R70W unit, but that was a passenger car transmission. And this is not as big as the "truck" 4R100W upon which the big 5/6 speed units behind the Powerstrokes and V10s are based.

And this Tranit's dead transmission looks just as big as the Sprinter transmissions, and those are also used in passenger cars.

I think it is just a weak design. They use them behind V8s and twin turbo V6s, too, so there is no excuse why this 3.7L non-turbo V6 in the smallest configuration Transit they build should have died so soon.

We've already seen Promaster (gas) transmissions dead, but we expected that. That IS a passenger car (minivan) transmission, so no surprise there. Who knows how well their 6sp double clutch autobox works with their diesel, as I doubt we'll ever see one in our shop.

We do see a few diesel Transits here, and they are already starting to have a bunch of issues with various sensors, heaters, etc.

Knock on wood, not a single one of the 4cyl Sprinters we regularly see here has needed a single thing besides scheduled PM and tires, so I think I should be OK at least for the near future.
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:47   #138
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

Does your Sprinter use the same automatic as MB cars? It seems like, in general, MB has done well with their torque converter automatics.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:23   #139
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Does your Sprinter use the same automatic as MB cars? It seems like, in general, MB has done well with their torque converter automatics.

-J

The V6 does, it uses the NAG1 (New Generation Gearbox) 5 speed unit, which is used in some form or another in lots of MB and ChryCo passenger cars and SUVs. The 4cyl Sprinter like mine uses the NAG2 7 speed G-tronic transmission, which is a little different. It is used in lots of newer MB models. It *looks* like a conventional automatic, and it has a torque converter, but in some ways behaves more like a double clutch type transmission. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is Mazda's newer autoboxes bolted to their Skyactiv engines. The G-tronic also uses an inky blue ATF (looks like G11 coolant) and requires a 40k mile interval fluid change. Also on the few that I have serviced, the used ATF looks exactly the same as the new stuff, and the filter had no signs of any debris of any kind, and the magnets in the pan had only a very slight bit of gray film on them.
Old October 29th, 2018, 06:50   #140
oilhammer

Took the Sprinter on a small trip this weekend, went dirt bike riding for the first time in about 15 years. I actually no longer have a bike, I just rode my Honda Recon utility ATV, but had a blast anyway. Towed it and my friend's KX125 bike, on a trailer, plus all our gear, managed it all in stride. And a bonus feature: the Sprinter is big enough inside to change into and out of your riding gear, floors do not care about mud or dirt either.

Closing in on 10k miles. This is the most I have pulled with it for this long, I have towed a couple cars but that was shorter trips (50 miles or so). This was total about 250 miles. We'll see what impact the fuel economy took when this tank is done. I suspect it dropped into the low 20s. I was doing 80ish most of the way.
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:41   #141
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The new style vans, all of them, are awesome bike haulers because of the extra interior width and height (aside from the low roof Transit version that was specifically designed to not be taller than an E series). That's what I bought mine for. It's the bike hauler, change room, sleeping quarters, errand vehicle, and tow vehicle all in one.

60,000 km on my ProMaster, no issues to report, lifetime consumption is at 11.6 L/100 km which includes a fair bit of trailer towing.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:21   #142
oilhammer

If I end up getting another bike, I will probably get one of the cross-mounting setups that slides into the hitch. I can't use the back door anyway as the wheelchair lift is there. But that would be only good for solo transport, as I do not think they are strong enough to hold two bikes side by side. Lots of Vanagon guys use them for the smaller trail bikes though.

I used to have a dedicated dirt bike trailer, that was designed to hold three, but my XR400 was too wide to allow that. But two were just fine. It was nice because it was fast, easy, and safe to mount them up. But it was only for that, it had no other purpose or use. So I sold it when I sold the bike.

Not sure if my knees could take it anymore, though. Which is why I think a sport quad would be better for me. Sadly, Honda's lone entry right now into that segment is essentially just the same 230cc engine my Recon has, with some snazzy looking plastic and lights. The Yamaha Raptor is looking like the right package.
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:31   #143
oilhammer

Update: finally crossed 10k miles. Changed the oil, rotated the tires, flushed the brake fluid. Technically it is supposed to be a 20k mile service interval OR two years. I went a little past the two year mark, but figured they go by that because they assume lots of short trips. Which mine rarely gets. 90% of the miles are 70+ MPH, the rest of the time it is parked in the driveway.

It has a recall, seems MB was buying Takata airbags too.

I will probably do that at some point, even though I despise anyone else touching it... however I have to confirm that is ALL they are going to do, and there are no post-Dieselgate software "updates" I am not aware of. I do not want the engine management touched. It performs excellent as it is, and its last tank was 27 MPG.

Oh, I also rescued a 2.slo Jetta from certain doom a couple weeks ago. Drug it back home (about 120 miles) and it didn't miss a beat. It also brought a broken B5 Passat home recently. So it is earning its keep.

Last edited by oilhammer; May 21st, 2019 at 03:34.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:03   #144
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Over 2 years and only 10k miles! Good thing you have lots of other toys to chose from.
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:04   #145
oilhammer

Well, and it is technically three years old, but was purchased new by me in January of '17. There were no 2017 4 cyl Sprinters (and actually 2016 was the LAST of them here).
Old May 22nd, 2019, 17:30   #146
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Maybe invest in an OBD lock so they don't lie to your face and then reflash anyways?

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote