www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 21st, 2019, 09:42   #1
larrydc

Default maybe sell my 96 passat tdi

I collided with a wild hog and seriously damaged my bumper and broke the radiator. My body man said it wouldn't cost an awful lot to fix it, but I think I would rather sell it. it has about 315,000 miles. Seems to run good. Anyone interested? Frame doesn't seem to be damaged. It's a station wagon. Any suggestions?
larrydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:59   #2
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

oh no, sorry to hear about your accident.

Parts are probably out there but not as easy to find in the used market as before. I wouldn't think it would be much if it's just bumper / radiator support etc. New radiator isn't an awful lot for these, AC condensor too.

I'm more inclined to spend on what I know vs something unknown, especially with the mpg and hauling capacity of the wagons

Steve

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:24   #3
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4V - 37 combined; ALH - 53 best highway so far

Fix it! Trust me, you won't find anything as comfortable with the range and cargo capacity as the B4V that doesn't have to be smogged every 2 years and has reasonable DMV registration, not to mention insurance rates. You've got another solid 5 years at least of use left in it.
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:23   #4
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Keep it. I bought a newer car and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I’m keeping my wagon.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:37   #5
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

If you have the option I'd fix it, I'm becoming less impressed with the new stuff, especially at the prices they've been selling new vehicles for.

There are some especially bad engines out there too, particularly from GM.

Steve

Old May 28th, 2019, 18:42   #6
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post

There are some especially bad engines out there too, particularly from GM.

Steve

Indeed!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ki...res-2019-01-16
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 19:21   #7
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIL3dad View Post
I'll stick with what I have. Moving to anything newer might give you a few years of trouble free service but I would bet dollars to donuts that for long term ownership the new cars aren't worth the time and effort.

I would hate to have to diagnose and repair some of the problems on the new cars.

As for GM problem engines, anything FFV with the VVT appears to be junk. And to make matters worse it costs a butt load of money to fix.

Steve

Old June 2nd, 2019, 11:09   #8
larrydc

Thank you everyone for your comments. The only negatives I have for this car is the door handles and the awfully noisy rattles inside the rear of the car. I have tried different new handles and the one that worked the best was make in Taiwan. But now I started having trouble with that. Never had trouble opening doors from inside, but I am concerned if someone needed to get into the car to save my life and they didn't know the secret to making the door open, it wouldn't open. I can solve the problem with noise by turning off my hearing aid.
larrydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 17:11   #9
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydc View Post
but I am concerned if someone needed to get into the car to save my life and they didn't know the secret to making the door open
A first responder will just break the window, or go through a different door/window.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 21:03   #10
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydc View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. The only negatives I have for this car is the door handles and the awfully noisy rattles inside the rear of the car. I have tried different new handles and the one that worked the best was make in Taiwan. But now I started having trouble with that. Never had trouble opening doors from inside, but I am concerned if someone needed to get into the car to save my life and they didn't know the secret to making the door open, it wouldn't open. I can solve the problem with noise by turning off my hearing aid.
I understand your frustration with the door handles, but that's really a setup and install problem.

The handles need to be installed so that they actuate the latch 100%, the finger 'tip' can be adjusted so that it contacts the latch at the earliest possible moment instead of the point when the handle is over half way through it's motion. I have seen gaps of at least 1/2" between the finger and the latch mechanism and that's a recipe for poor performance. In these situations it's hit or miss as to whether the latch will release or not.

The second problem is the cleanliness of the latch and lubrication. The latches tend to destroy the B4 door handles because the insides are gummy and don't want to move as easily. It's important to clean and lubricate the latches occasionally to make sure they aren't taxing the handle too much.

I'm still of the opinion that it's better to invest in what you know versus what you don't know, and you know the car you have despite the fact that it's been damaged somewhat.

At least your shop seems to want to work on it...that's a good start IMO.

Steve

Old June 8th, 2019, 05:27   #11
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The door handles are pretty easy to fix, I have a few writeups on here about them. They can wear out, in which case there isn't a lot you can do, but even the Chinese ones can last years before they start having problems. Most of the time it's a simple alignment or adjustment issue with the door handles.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote