www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:05   #1
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat
Default Weird Noise from Trans?? (B5.5 5 Speed Swap)

Hey everyone, looking to bother you all again for advise.
My car recently developed some weird rattling noise that I cant really describe. It seems its coming from around the transmission/engine mating area.
I have a DUK 5 speed with a dual mass flywheel and sachs SRE clutch from Frans.
No codes are currently present.
I noticed on the highway last night when braking some oscillating vibrations, but only when braking. The noise/vibrations are not consistent at all unfortunately. Sometimes I hear it others it smooths out and goes away. Though it seems now its always present when the car is stopped and idling without the clutch engaged. If I depress the clutch sometimes when stopped it seems like it affects it but like I said its never consistent so I cant really tell.
I tried recording a clip to show what it is. This is the only way I can get it to keep making the noise. It happens right when the engine RPMs come die down at any point when I rev it.

https://youtu.be/CdriLbACR2k

Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited by d0u8l3m; May 20th, 2019 at 09:14.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 15:03   #2
afarfalla
Veteran Member

some one on this forum had the same problem, turned out to be a bent shield overlooked on rebuild.
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:37   #3
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

I have a feeling its something with the clutch assembly. When I press the clutch in the noise goes away, if i let it back out the clanging happens again.

What could potentially fail in this assembly? The clutch feels fine for the most part, other than being able to feel the banging through the clutch pedal itself when it happens. I have a dual mass flywheel as well, but if it was seized wouldn't it behave differently?

I have just about 25k miles since the trans swap btw. Could the DMF have failed already???

Last edited by d0u8l3m; May 23rd, 2019 at 16:33.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 19:22   #4
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
I have a dual mass flywheel as well, but if it was seized wouldn't it behave differently?

I have just about 25k miles since the trans swap btw. Could the DMF have failed already???
It sounds to me like a DMF failure. Was the DMF new? I've seen them last long time, 200k+ and I've seen them destroyed in fewer miles than yours. In my opinion, I would not use a DMF unless absolutely necessary. A front wheel drive passat does not need a DMF to operate smoothly so I wouldn't use one.

Most AWD VW and Audi swaps do benefit significantly in smoothness with a DMF and I would use one in those cases. The AWD system seems prone to resonant vibration. The DMF eliminates it completely.

Not all DMF failures are seizures, sometimes the internal springs break and the broken ends "thread" inside one another, resulting in a bunch of free play with very little spring at the ends of the stroke. judging by the sound of yours, I think this is what has happened.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 19:43   #5
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
It sounds to me like a DMF failure. Was the DMF new? I've seen them last long time, 200k+ and I've seen them destroyed in fewer miles than yours. In my opinion, I would not use a DMF unless absolutely necessary. A front wheel drive passat does not need a DMF to operate smoothly so I wouldn't use one.

Most AWD VW and Audi swaps do benefit significantly in smoothness with a DMF and I would use one in those cases. The AWD system seems prone to resonant vibration. The DMF eliminates it completely.

Not all DMF failures are seizures, sometimes the internal springs break and the broken ends "thread" inside one another, resulting in a bunch of free play with very little spring at the ends of the stroke. judging by the sound of yours, I think this is what has happened.
Damn, yeah from what I was told by Frans it was sold to me it was a "New Sachs DMF". I've emailed him for the part number, maybe Sachs has a warranty or something if its that.

If I can find a replacement DMF I might stick with that, with the truck project going on, I don't wanna drop the capital right now to convert to a single mass setup.

Though this might be nice and eliminate my shutter in 5th, fx100 is probably closest to the clutch I have now. https://whitbreadperformance.com/.....

Anyone know what DMF works with this clutch? Sachs 999715.999961

Last edited by d0u8l3m; May 23rd, 2019 at 20:00.
Old May 24th, 2019, 06:39   #6
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if this will work with my clutch?

amazon.com/LuK-DMF039

For the price even if it only lasts another 30k, that would be another 2-3 years for me, so I'd rather do that for now to keep the car running so I can finish my truck.

My clutch has never had slipping issues so I'm guessing as long as there aren't any hot-spots/glazing and it has enough thickness left I can just replace the DMF alone right?

Anyone have an extra clutch alignment tool?
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:17   #7
QuickTD
Veteran Member

That looks like a 228mm flywheel. If you needed a spacer and a European starter, then you have a 240mm clutch/flywheel.

The 240mm DMF for an audi A4 2.0TFSI may work if you aren't too hard on it. The 2.0TFSI makes pretty high torque, so it will probably hold up ok and be much easier to find stateside. I have one in the GF's A4 swap with a B7 RS4 clutch and it works nice. Had to space the pressure plate out about 3mm to make the RS4 clutch work properly.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:26   #8
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure what I have now is 228mm. So I guess that will work fine!

sachsperformance.com/performance-clutch-kit-999715-999961