cell phone holder, waze, nav etc.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Any waze users here?

How do you like your smartphone holder setup? Got any pics?

I came from a mkv Jetta TDI, and i had just recently put an Atoto Android Head unit in that car... With my wifi hotspot, it ran waze decently. I am looking at something similar for my new to me 2015 Golf TDI, but most options are in the $400+ USD range, which is a little rich for me right now.

I use waze for speed trap and traffic info in addtion to the nav. I love it way more than my RDD in most instances.

I think my car came with the base touch screen headunit.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I just use a magnetic holder that pinches onto the vents.
I've not had good luck with those...I used one in a rented Dodge Journey and ended up clipping it to one of those pocket sized packages of kleenex and wedging it into the dash pocket, that's the only way it worked for me.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Yes it does.

Thanks, I think I will order the mount that goes on the side edge of the dash/console and I'll get the magnetic holder. I use Scosche magnetic mounts in two of my trucks and they work great.

This thread comes at the right time as I have been using a Roadster sticky pad on top of the dash, the one that has slots to wedge the phone into but I plan on getting a dash mat for summer and hadn't figured out what to do about the phone mount.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
The problem with the magnetic mounts is that now that I have a samsung s8, you loose the wireless charging when slipping a metal plate behind the phone case and phone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I have a pro clip mount and very happy with it. You will block some of the left center vent (Although it will flow around) but I'm ok with that. They now make a new one that mounts above the vent which may be better. They also have one that mounts lower to the left of the stack and another that mounts on left vent. I use this with a Iphone 7+ and Otter Box Defender case FWIW.

The only thing is with Pro Clip is they're pricey and you buy 2 parts: One for the car that you like, the next is for your phone and the case you use.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I also use a pro clip mount. This time though I did not get the powered version. My Pixel3XL has fast charging and if you are using the phone for a lot of things a regular charger can't keep up with the drain. My Nexus4 was only good for about half a day using it BT to the car, nav, Streaming music and such all at the same time. The new USB C fast charges have no issues keeping the phone fully charged no matter how much use it gets.

mcsvt

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I'm using the ProClip that goes to the right of the center console. Very easy install, feels really solid with my brick of a Pixel 3XL. So far happy with spending the extra money.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I'm using the ProClip that goes to the right of the center console. Very easy install, feels really solid with my brick of a Pixel 3XL. So far happy with spending the extra money.
That is good to hear as I just upgraded to the same phone and ProClip mount, non powered. I didn't think their powered mount was the high charge capacity and I already have one that is. My Nexus4 couldn't keep charged when running BT to the car and OBDII VagDpf app, phone, streaming music, Hot spot for my wifes phone and my tablet I keep in the car. plus Google nav running. The USB C high capacity chargers have no problem. I have a RNS315 that I am going to swap out the basic one currently in the car as well. That will let me move the nav map to it and keep the phone display on VagDpf and/or something else.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
The problem with the magnetic mounts is that now that I have a samsung s8, you loose the wireless charging when slipping a metal plate behind the phone case and phone.
On my S7, I was able to mount the plate sideways near the bottom of the phone/case, and preserve the wireless charging.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Does the ProClip install the same way as the Rennline where you pull out a piece of trim and stick the adhesive behind it then put the trim back?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Different cars do it different ways. I have never had to pull off trim and put it back. I have had to pry the trim up a little and slide the tongue of the mount under it though. Along with the sticky. Go to their site and see how it mounts for your car.

Last edited:

mcsvt

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I didn't have to remove any trim. The mount base comes in 2 parts and squeezes the trim. Only a small piece of adhesive is used.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I went with the Rennline and I am very happy with it. Thank You Martin Winterkorn.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
This evening installed ProClip # 855238 Angled Mount , and # 215165 Garmin ball mount. I like it