New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
I haven't read this entire thread, (I'm old and only have so many heartbeats left), but oil should not be a WW3 issue. Just use one that has the right numbers or letters on the bottle. Not using VW 507 spec oil in an engine where it voids the warranty not to use it seems like the height of stupidity to me. Just why?? These numbers represent very specific additive packages.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I actually had my DPF replaced as part of the emissions fix. The only reason why it was replaced is because an enterprising individual thought it would be good to steak the cat from the car while it was sitting in VAGUSA's storage yard and cut the flange from the DPF to get it off.

I may try this on my next oil change.
My CPO shows a new $1500 DPF in the "fix". I wonder if that was one of the "possible" items if its not at a certain perameter

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My CPO shows a new $1500 DPF in the "fix". I wonder if that was one of the "possible" items if its not at a certain perameter
Some low mileage TDIs won't get a new DPF until an undetermined time in the future. It's spelled out in the settlement and offer letters, but I don't have all the details in front of me. But those were the groups I was suggesting could do a controlled study of this issue. Yes, technically using the wrong oil will invalidate the warranty. But if you're bringing the car in for a DPF replacement pursuant to VW's offer letter rather than a warranty claim, I'm not sure how far they'd test it or what kinds of equipment would prove that increased soot level was directly caused by any particular kind of oil.

That is, if the relationship between oil ash and dpf lifespan are indirectly proportional, then a 20% increase in oil ash could arguably lead to a 20% reduction in DPF lifespan. If a DPF is rated for 120,000 miles, a 1% ash oil would load the DPF at around 100,000 instead, which is far longer than any low-mileage TDI is going to have their original DPF. That's why it presents a unique opportunity to test these theories without the tester bearing the brunt of the costs of the tests.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Actually, the "Height of Stupidity" is commenting so negatively before you read the thread.....

It is my understanding that 507 spec oil is 0.80% Sulphated Ash content and the M1 TDT oil I put in, as I had it to hand is 0.95%....

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Things have just been rolling along.
Car seems to be slow to catch when its been sitting for a few days...about 5 seconds of cranking... not sure if that is normal.
Almost at 122k, as I'm settled into my normal lower mile driving routine.
I've seen low 40s mpg on some runs, but the tank averages are about 35mpg... I tend toward shorter trips, which is why a higher mileage car did not scare me, as my annual mileage is barely 5k most years, it will gradually come back to average.

Wiped the tailpipe again last week and def some soot in there since I wiped it clean last time. Still no occurrence of the CEL tho.

Had a near miss on the freeway in the wet last month, idiot nearly hit me, driving like a moron in the wet, with no lights, and no regard for anyone else.

As a result, I decided to add a Dash Cam to the car.
Got the Togaurd 8" Mirror unit, and it has a 1080p front cam, 720p rear, that doubles as a reversing camera. Was on sale for $94.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFTQM7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did a quick instal, but have not cleaned up and tucked the wires yet.
Like it so far.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Had a near miss on the freeway in the wet last month, idiot nearly hit me, driving like a moron in the wet, with no lights, and no regard for anyone else.

As a result, I decided to add a Dash Cam to the car.

Good idea. I was daily-driving a completely mint time capsule ‘98 Maxima SE (56k miles) I had found for my teenage son to drive and was driving it myself until he reached legal age. Some jerk clipped my corner on the freeway at 70 mph, sent me into multiple spins where I nearly went under a tractor trailer in an adjoining lane (I somehow bounced off his tire instead) and drove off without stopping. Amazingly I survived without a scratch but the car was toast. My ‘13 JSW is a replacement for that car.

Now I’m thinking I need a dash cam as well. There are some horrible humans out there.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Someone we know had a guy stop at a junction, in front of him, overrunning the crosswalk by a couple of feet. The couple in the crosswalk glared at him, so he backed up. When the light changed, this idiot put his foot on the gas, but was still in reverse. He crashed into our friends caused $4000 of damage, then when the cops arrived, he claimed they rear ended him, made a big scene, went to the ER in an ambulance, etc. By pure luck, the couple had a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit on the dash which recorded the incident. Let’s just say that simple fact saved them them tens of thousands at least, and got the scumbag in a lot of trouble for making false statements.
I was sold, right there. $100 is a small price to pay for even your Deductable!

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Car is still running well.

I recorded a 53.2mpg run last week, but my tank averages are still running around 36mpg. 400+ miles per tank is good by my book!

Car still takes longer than I think is right to start from cold(California for cold is 60f!). Seems like it is 3-4 seconds cranking before it catches.

Definitely soot is appearing in the tail pipe, but still no further codes, so no good reason to go to the dealer yet.

Planning to do the timing belt soon, and also rear brakes.
I have noticed a slight shuddder when braking from 60-70 mph, and as the rears are very close to done, I will do those first.

I am going with Zimmerman Z coat rotors, but I wanted to go with Akebono Ceramic pads, but cannot seem to find rear pads for the TDI Wagon!
Anyone?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Did you try IDParts? I'm pretty sure they carry Akebono pads.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Lots of places carry Akebono.
The issue is that they don't list REAR Wagon TDI pads.

Rear Sedan TDI pads are #EUR1456.
Rear Wagon GAS pads are #EUR340A or EUR340B(Assume that is the rotor size difference.
I have not checked my Rotor sizes yet.

They list the front pads as EUR1107 for TDI Wagon.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The sedan pads are the same regardless of whether it's gas or diesel. The pads for the gas wagon should apply to the diesel wagon. The difference between "A" and "B" pads seems to be whether hardware is included with the pads.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I have a shudder when braking as well on my ‘13 Buyback Buyback despite having only 28k miles. My ‘10 had 110k on the clock at buyback with the original pads and rotors and no braking issues whatsoever. Maybe sitting all that time in the fixit lot resulted in warped rotors?

Are there any special tools required to do a pad/rotor job on a VW?

I owned my ‘10 for 6 years and 110k flawless miles, and I didn’t really do any mods to the car so I never had to shop for parts. Now that I’m in another JSW and am wanting to do some tweaks, I’m realizing just how infuriatingly difficult it is to identify parts that fit the car. You’d think a vehicle that sold for 6 model years would actually be listed on retailer sites. Alas, many of the sites I’ve checked don’t show the Jetta Sportwagen as an option. Do the sedan parts fit? How about the Golf parts? From which generation? Who knows? Curse VW for naming it a Jetta in the first place, rather than the Golf it really is. STUPID.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You’d think a vehicle that sold for 6 model years would actually be listed on retailer sites. Do the sedan parts fit? How about the Golf parts? From which generation? Who knows? Curse VW for naming it a Jetta in the first place, rather than the Golf it really is. STUPID.
X2!

Where does VW come up with this confusion? Off the wall names like EOS. How about the identity crisis of the same body/gen 09-14 JSW... is it a mk5 or 6? What about it's Audi cousin THE A3, A4... is it a wagon, which body, mk5, mk6... ahhhh!:D

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
How about the identity crisis of the same body/gen 09-14 JSW... is it a mk5 or 6? What about it's Audi cousin THE A3, A4... is it a wagon, which body, mk5, mk6... ahhhh!:D

I used to believe the JSW was a MK6 car. Then someone at Eibach told me it’s actually a MK5. If JSW isn’t listed specifically on a parts seller site, I have absolutely no idea which parts will work. :/

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I used to believe the JSW was a MK6 car. Then someone at Eibach told me it’s actually a MK5. If JSW isn’t listed specifically on a parts seller site, I have absolutely no idea which parts will work. :/
JSW was mk5 thru 2010, mk6 2011 up. Knowing VW, 2010... what month? half way thru the year? Who knows.

The JSW was designated a Jetta sportwagen Only in American market. All other countries as a GulfSW.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
JSW was mk5 thru 2010, mk6 2011 up. Knowing VW, 2010... what month? half way thru the year? Who knows.

This makes no sense as the 2010-2014 models are nearly identical. And the 2009 is on the same platform (I believe) despite a slightly-different interior and front end. I believe what Eibach told me is essentially correct: that the entire JSW run is a Mk5 Golf platform.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
This makes no sense as the 2010-2014 models are nearly identical. And the 2009 is on the same platform (I believe) despite a slightly-different interior and front end. I believe what Eibach told me is essentially correct: that the entire JSW run is a Mk5 Golf platform.
If I'm not mistaken The 09 has the red "low line" mk5 electronics. The 10' or 11' it changes to mk6 as it is "high line" or mk6 as I understand it. When looking for a JSW I looked at 11' and up simply because they were mk6 with upgraded/acceptable BT ect.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
As far as I am aware both the 09 and 10, 11’s came in both mid-line and highline trim in Canada. I think the US also got the comfortline trim as well, no fog lights and other items. In 2010 there was a major electronics change to the mk6 spec along with the updated front sheet metal. In later years software was updated and a few more minor goodies added, eg. BT.

Just wanted to correct the impression that a mk5 was lowline and Mk 6 highline in case someone is looking for electronics parts compatibility. There is very little on that line between the two models although most mechanical parts seem likely to swap in some manner.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as I am aware both the 09 and 10, 11’s came in both mid-line and highline trim in Canada. I think the US also got the comfortline trim as well, no fog lights and other items. In 2010 there was a major electronics change to the mk6 spec along with the updated front sheet metal. In later years software was updated and a few more minor goodies added, eg. BT.

Just wanted to correct the impression that a mk5 was lowline and Mk 6 highline in case someone is looking for electronics parts compatibility. There is very little on that line between the two models although most mechanical parts seem likely to swap in some manner.
Im not real familiar with the difference of comfortline. I can only speak from my personal knowledge of my 2011 and the research on it.

I have found the 11' has 3 basic packages. the
1st is basic w/pleather,no pano or nav., 16" wheels, traction switch in lower console
2nd w/ plether, pano no nav., 17" porto wheels (?), traction switch in lower console
3rd w/ plether, pano, nav and 17" porto wheels, traction switch in lower console

Your right no fog lights

Every year the features grew or were refined

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Update:
She has been just ticking along.
Now at 123,300 miles.
My son bought me a Rosstech VCSD for Fathers day... What a guy!:D

Prepping for an oil change soon. Have everything ready.
Rear brakes are getting low and I am prepped for that too. Akebono EUR1456 pads, and despite the rotors looking reasonable, I have a slight pulse, so I have a pair of Zimmerman Z Coat 272mm rotors on hand.
Hope to do all that, AND the timing belt in the coming month.

On another note, my tailpipe if definitely sooty.... but no further CEL.... yet.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Im not real familiar with the difference of comfortline. I can only speak from my personal knowledge of my 2011 and the research on it.

I have found the 11' has 3 basic packages. the
1st is basic w/pleather,no pano or nav., 16" wheels, traction switch in lower console
2nd w/ plether, pano no nav., 17" porto wheels (?), traction switch in lower console
3rd w/ plether, pano, nav and 17" porto wheels, traction switch in lower console

Your right no fog lights

Every year the features grew or were refined

I have an 11 in the 3rd package referenced with fog lights. The original owner had it delivered to Pittsburgh area so definitely an American model. I am confused by this since I most obviously will be ordering parts in the future and want to get it right. BTW I am very happy with it so far. It is a beauty.:) Thank you for all the info I've found here.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Akebono EUR1456 pads, and despite the rotors looking reasonable, I have a slight pulse, so I have a pair of Zimmerman Z Coat 272mm rotors on hand.

I'd love an update on difficulty of the process and any special tools/techniques required. I've never had to replace rotors myself but my JSW has some major rotor warp (at least I hope that's the issue) despite only 27k miles on the clock when I bought it. Maybe sitting undriven in the hot California desert sun for who-knows-how-long managed to warp the rotors.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
The brakes and rotors are not difficult at all to do. Typical metric box and socket set, torx bits for rotor set screw and a mallet if you need to bang the rotor off the hub.

Really the only special tool needed is the caliper piston reset tool that you can rent from one of the big auto parts stores. The rear (can't remember if front was same) pistons need to be turned and pushed at the same time to retract.

If you are doing pads too I had really good luck with the ceramics from a dust perspective, didn't really see any performance differences between the OEM and ceramics so the highly reduced dusting was worth it.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Really the only special tool needed is the caliper piston reset tool that you can rent from one of the big auto parts stores. The rear (can't remember if front was same) pistons need to be turned and pushed at the same time to retract.

Is this the tool you’re referring to?

Jecr Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Tool - Right Handed Thread Compression Dual Pin Break Caliper Piston Rewind Tool for Disk Brake Pad Replacement, by https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076RZGT89/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qr6sDbWDRSR96

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
The carrier bolts can be really tight and it can be difficult to get enough leverage to break them loose with the car on jack stands. Most impacts won’t get in there because of clearance. I think someone estimated 500 ft/lb to break loose. You might want to consider a 1/2 in breaker bar and raising the rear of the car as far as you can. Look up the torque for reinstall. Apart from those four bolts it’s pretty straightforward with the rewind tool.

http://www.metalnerd.com/mobile/catalog/product/6b34088c812048a58e7a188c0ed47e21
- more expensive than the Chinese version but definitely the right one.

Rockeye

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
Great job with the JSW.

For the rear brakes, you are going to need a triple square sockets. These are the ones that I grabbed to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-Triple-Square-10-Piece/dp/B007UQLR9U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2W8QYOY5RBPU8&keywords=triple+square+socket+set&qid=1564075452&s=automotive&sprefix=triple+%2Cautomotive%2C240&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT1MxWlZKTlFLUFFPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk2MzQxMVRPSEI3Q0w3NzVURyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDk2OTY3MlZXRjY4RDA4WVRHUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

For the rear calipers, you are going to need a tool to retract the piston. You can grab that tool at any parts warehouse. Ive had mine sitting in my tool box for about 15 years. Haven't needed it until 2 weeks ago and Im glad I had it.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Have a set of Triple squares ready... I think there is a little more life in the pads yet, from my last inspection, so will do this in the next month or so. I have a big run to Az in November with family, so I want the JSW in fine fettle before then.

I will do the Timing belt soon too.... I'm at 123k and getting a little edgy about it. Factory suggested is 130k right?

Anyone heard of them breaking early?

I've done 3300 miles on the current oil now.
I had planned to change it, but have a camping trip soon, which will be a 300 miles round trip. I think it makes sense to do it after a good run and see what the Blackstone analysis tell me about the condition.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
The timing belt is 120k miles. You could easily go 10k miles or more on an oil change on a TDI as long as you are using a good, proper spec oil. I use Luqi Moly 4200 in my 2012 Golf and have had great oil analysis results after 10k miles of use. Lab says I could push it further but I'll stick to the factory recommended interval.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The timing belt interval got lengthened from 120k to 130k miles in '11 m.y. cars onward. But doing them a little early or a little late is generally fine.