Whispbars on panoramic sunroof

hephaestus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
I bought a used set of s53 bars for my 14 sportwagen because I saw several threads here and on vwvortex saying they will clear the sunroof if placed correctly. But all those threads are old and pics are only working in one of them. When I place my bars where they are shown there the roof glass hits them. The front bar is the issue but I can't seem to find any place where it doesn't hit. Can anyone provide some guidance or pics?

hephaestus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
Not everyone all at once please. :)

Did I not post this in the correct forum? Would there be a better one?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I think it's a tough one because you'll need Mk VI wagon owners who also have Whispbars (which were niche prior to being discontinued / subsumed by Yakima). Plus, you have both of those already, so others may be looking to you as the guide to what works. I have S53's, but have mounted them only to (her) Mk7 GSW w/o SR. Have you tried asking at the vortex? - the main Mk7 G/GTI thread is huge. Let us know what you find out.

hephaestus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
I got them to fit. I used a piece of 1/4" square rubber cord beneath both mounts on the front bar only and it barely clears the roof when mounted almost all the way forward on the side rails. Clearance is only about 1/8" and I probably won't risk opening the roof when there is something on the bars. But they clear.

The rear bar is not an issue and can be installed just behind the open roof without any modifications or alterations.

The Whispbars are very quiet and I drove over 500 miles with them so far and there is no noticeable loss in mpg.

I also have a truck that I would normally carry loads with, but today it is in the shop and I needed to transport some pallets. So the Whispbars are getting tested in ghetto-fashion.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Cw/h1236/1181774618345858623%3Faccount_id%3D1

Last edited: