Flywheel/Gearbox - 02M / 02Q - 2.5tdi

Ajvr

TDI
T4 2.5TDI
Hi all,

Have a 2.5 TDI ael based motor which has an 8 bolt crankshaft in a Eurovan

Id like to swap to a 6 speed stronger gearbox but am unsure of the best way to do this. Hoping someone may be able to comment on my thoughts below as to weather this is possible without having to get a custom flywheel made up.

I will be running an adapter plate to twist the gearbox to sit at the correct angle as it leans forward a lot in the van

1) I see some of the flywheels on the 02Q motor use an 8 bolt flywheel - any idea if the PCD is the same as the 2.5 tdi crank?/ anyone have a drawing?

2) Ive read somewhere that the 02Q flywheel/clutch assembly sticks out further than the 02M due to the deeper bellhousing - can anyone confirm this? is the starter ring the same OD?

If this is the case im hoping to have the adapter plate be the correct thickness so that I can run the 02Q 8 bolt clutch flywheel assembly with an 02M gearbox.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i don't think there is enough of a height difference between the 02Q and the 02M flywheel/clutch assemblies to allow for an adapter plate ... probably better to have a flywheel spacer machined to match your adapter plate thickness and just use a 02M flywheel/clutch.... my buddy and I were just discussing this yesterday and he bought a GLI 02M for the project ... his project will use an ALH so flywheel bolt pattern is the same six bolt.... can't really help you on the eight bolt stuff as i have no experience but the starter ring gear is probably the same OD and tooth count..... i'm using a 02Q starter on my 02M swapped golf

Last edited:

Ajvr

TDI
T4 2.5TDI
Will have to overlay the 6 bolt/8 bolt pattern and see how well an adapter could be made up to use all 02m components.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Will have to overlay the 6 bolt/8 bolt pattern and see how well an adapter could be made up to use all 02m components.
i don't think they will overlay at all and i was not suggesting you use all 02M components but rather was describing the approach for using a 4 cylinder tdi in such a swap...maybe the VR6 02M flywheel has the same bolt pattern ? or you could still use the 02Q/5 pot flywheel clutch with the 02M just account for the 02M vs 02Q flywheel/clutch stack height difference when figuring your flywheel adapter dimensions

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
A 02m can't be used in a eurovan, unless you do some major adapting work.
Axles won't work, gearboxbrackets will not fit, and we haven't even talked about the shifterlinkage and the tilted engine....

The standard 02Q is pretty durable. Best is to use it with the 151hp tdi t4 240mm flywheel/clutch.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
A 02m can't be used in a eurovan, unless you do some major adapting work.
Axles won't work, gearboxbrackets will not fit, and we haven't even talked about the shifterlinkage and the tilted engine....

The standard 02Q is pretty durable. Best is to use it with the 151hp tdi t4 240mm flywheel/clutch.
yeah, i've thought of all those things and while it may be alot of work it is doable ;)