Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
guess that makes sense, guess why thats why they only list the ford diesel

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Their fuel additive should be good, it's Primrose Fire Power 404.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I sent the link to a neighbor who is planning to have all eight injectors replaced on his 65K mile 6L powerstroke to fix stiction. It may be worth a try to avoid that $1800+ bill.

Green Dsl

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I sent the link to a neighbor who is planning to have all eight injectors replaced on his 65K mile 6L powerstroke to fix stiction. It may be worth a try to avoid that $1800+ bill.
Tell your neighbor to get about 4 cans of Seafoam (about $40). Remove the fuel filter on the engine and remove the diesel fuel. Fill the bowl with Seafoam to the level where the diesel fuel was. Replace the filter (must be done or engine will not start) and start. It will run rough and make a lot of smoke. If that does not help, put 2 to 3 cans in the engine oil and run it hard for about 50 to 100 miles. Drain the oil and put in a good SYNTHETIC oil. I have a Ford 6.0 X with 100K on it and Seafoam has been in the fuel and oil since 15,000 miles. Have never had a turbo or injector stiction issue. I use Royal Purple synthetic oil and lubricants.

04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Red Optimas, Fuel X Over Line, Airdog 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, Fuel Filter Delete, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Front & Rear Diff Cover, 2nd CCV Line and Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

ED

Green Dsl

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
theres solid advice...
use royal purple:rolleyes:
You are absolutely right! That is SOLID advice! You see I have actual experience with RP products and don't believe the fairy tales that others put forward who have never tried RP products. :eek:

I have and continue to use RP synthetic oils and lubricants in everything I own - cars, trucks, boats, farm tractors, etc. - since 1995. I have never had an issue or failure with any of their products. :)

I use Racing 21 motor oil, Synchromax in the tranny and 75W-90 rear gear oil in my '04 ZO6 (4 years). I use Racing 51 motor oil in my '96 Scarab 22 and 75W-90 gear oil in the Bravo 1 outdrive (7 years). I use the TCW III 2 cycle oil in my Evinrude E-Tech. I use 20W-50 motor oil in my two diesel farm tractors and 15W-40 motor oil in the three gas tractors (15 years). I use 20W-50 motor oil, Synchromax in the transfer case, synthetic ATF in the tranny, synthetic power steering fluid and 75W-130 diff gear oil in my '04 Ford Excursion 6.0L PSD (5 years).

I was told on the FTE site that if I used RP synthetic ATF in my 6.0L diesel torque shift tranny that it would kill it. 30,000 miles later with RP ATF, the tranny actually shifts better, shows no signs of slippage and the ATF looks a good as it did 30,000 miles ago. I did not buy the Ford propaganda that I MUST use their SP tranny fluid. ;)

I have had and continue to have nothing but outstanding results with Royal Purple products and will use Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil in my TDI when the 36,000 mile free maintenance expires. :cool:

ED

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
I have had and continue to have nothing but outstanding results with Royal Purple products and will use Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil in my TDI when the 36,000 mile free maintenance expires. :cool:

ED
I'm not sure how much the Royal Purple 5W-30 costs... even if it was $2 cheaper per quote compared the cost of the 507.00 oil at the dealer you are only saving ~$50 by the time you get to 100k miles.

You are saying that Royal Purple is so awesome you are willing to save $50 and risk your $15,000 engine on it?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I'm not sure how much the Royal Purple 5W-30 costs... even if it was $2 cheaper per quote compared the cost of the 507.00 oil at the dealer you are only saving ~$50 by the time you get to 100k miles.

You are saying that Royal Purple is so awesome you are willing to save $50 and risk your $15,000 engine on it?
No real risk. :rolleyes:

If he was actually willing to take a risk, he wouldn't wait until the warranty was out....;)

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What kind of oil is currently in the powerstroke with injector issues? DO NOT USE ROTELLA in a 6.0L....causes injector failures. My friend has a ford high performance company in KY. He know's PowerStrokes in and out!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
What kind of oil is currently in the powerstroke with injector issues? DO NOT USE ROTELLA in a 6.0L....causes injector failures. My friend has a ford high performance company in KY. He know's PowerStrokes in and out!
He was running Rotella 15W-40 and just switched to Rotella 5W-40. Reports problem is slightly less bad with the 5W-40. What oil does your friend recommend?

Green Dsl

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
He was running Rotella 15W-40 and just switched to Rotella 5W-40. Reports problem is slightly less bad with the 5W-40. What oil does your friend recommend?
Tell your 6.0 friend to use a 5W-40 or 15W-40 SYNTHETIC oil. The motor will start easier and run quiter.

Injector stiction is caused buy "coking", burnt oil residue stcking to the oil side of the injector moving parts. Dino oil is know for this. The injector tolerances are very tight. The burnt oil residue decreases those tolearances resulting in stiction. Synthetic oil will not burn and cause stiction. The same thing happens in the 6.0 turbo compressor variable vanes and the shaft bearings. Synthetic oil eliminates a lot of problems in the 6.0.

Ed

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

My friend recommends Chevron Delo engine oil for 6.0L's. He had a customer that was replacing/rebuilding injectors every 30K miles on a Hot Shot 6.0L truck....finally convinced the owner to switch from Rotella to Chevron and he hasn't had to replace any injectors since.

Tell you friend to look up Swamps Diesel in Tenn if he wants some good knowledgeable Powerstroke Diesel guys.

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
How 'bout we shift this thread to the powerstroke forum...sheesh

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
FWIW, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil is what I'm using in my 6.4L PowerStroke. No stiction issues since the 6.4L doesn't have oil-fired injectors. The 6.4L is a CR design and uses injectors similar to CR TDIs.

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI
Hot Shot's Secret is worth a try in a 6.0.

Many have had good success with it and sticking injectors. I've put it in as a preventative measure.

As for oil, any quality diesel rated 15W-40 or 5W-40 is good. 5W-40 for cold weather. Timely oil changes is more important than the exact oil brand.

One thing about the 6.0, there are more experts out there than you can believe. I generally believe the factory engineers who have more experience and knowledge than any shop around.

Mike

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...I generally believe the factory engineers who have more experience and knowledge than any shop around.

Mike
And who also have a vested interest in touting the company line, which is buy ford stuff no matter what. So if there are better fluids out there for the engine, you won't hear it from the experts who know so much. And this goes for any manufacturer.

So are you so naive that you think said ford engineers would tell you to buy a GM fluid if it was truly better?

In the same light, would any vw engineer tell you to buy dexcool since it is half the cost of vw coolant? Would a vw engineer tell you that someone else's synthetic ATF works just fine in their autotransaxles?

If you are answering yes, you need to pull your head out of the sand and wake up. :rolleyes: