how does one import a jeep from germany

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
i was interested in importing a jeep grand cherokee from germany. they have the drive on the same side as us and it has diesel engine. the price of a 2000 model with decent mileage would be about 6k-7k euros, plus shipping, ect. does anyone know who ships and any helpful info?
thanks

Last edited:

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You won't get a 2000 model past Customs in the US or Canada, too young. I believe the cutoff is 15 years for Canadian import (1994) and 25 in the US (1984).

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I imported a 1995 RHD Jeep Cherokee from the UK in 2007. This was to the USA however. I had one issue as the customs officer in the port of entry forgot to stamp one paper, and the local DMV could not recognize the engine code as being the same as a US model. Took four hours at the DMV to fix. (Jeep was originally made to use in Japan)

Right hand drive is legal in both US and Canada, and no, I didnot have to swap the speedo from kilometers to miles in the states.

I know an import company in Baltimore MD, but do not know one in Canada.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
MILESB said:
i was interested in importing a jeep grand cherokee from germany. they have the drive on the same side as us and it has diesel engine. the price of a 2000 model with decent mileage would be about 6-7 euros, plus shipping, ect. does anyone know who ships and any helpful info?
thanks
You don't, or wait until the vehicle is 15 years old.

In the USA all cars 24 years and younger must meet federal standards for emissions, and saftey for the date of manufacture. It costs a buttload of money to perform the verification and the modifications.

In Canada the laws as similar except some vehicles you cannot import.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
kgirlbug2k said:
I imported a 1995 RHD Jeep Cherokee from the UK in 2007. This was to the USA however. I had one issue as the customs officer in the port of entry forgot to stamp one paper, and the local DMV could not recognize the engine code as being the same as a US model. Took four hours at the DMV to fix. (Jeep was originally made to use in Japan)

Right hand drive is legal in both US and Canada, and no, I didnot have to swap the speedo from kilometers to miles in the states.

I know an import company in Baltimore MD, but do not know one in Canada.
Who did the federalization process? How much did it cost?

RHD is legal in US provided you can prove it meets applicable saftey standards.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
To clarify just a bit on the Canadian laws, anything inside 15 years from the date of manufacture must be on the list published on www.riv.com. If it is on the list, it would then need to be registered with the RIV, then pass a federal inspection (safety, DRL's, airbag warnings in both languages) and then also a provincial inspection.

If you are outside 15 years, then pretty well anything is admissible and you don't need a federal inspection (only provincial)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I don't remember the import company's name, but I do have the phone number on my cell phone.
The inspection and paperwork cost under two grand, but they charged 500 to tow it from Baltimore to Cumberland.
It was Euro spec, and I had to do zero mods to have it meet US spec.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
JK Technologies
3500 Sweet Air Street
Baltimore, MD 21211 USA
Tel: 410 366 6332
Fax: 410 366 7655

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
If it was that cheap to get the Jeep federalized, it must have already met US specs and had documentation indicating that.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
mavapa said:
If it was that cheap to get the Jeep federalized, it must have already met US specs and had documentation indicating that.
Being a RHD it would have to have been crash tested to prove saftey regs, unless someone else has done the tests to the same model, or fudged on the paperwork.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Jeep already sells RHD Wranglers and Cherokees here. Any dealer can order you one. At least they did. Same with Subaru. For rural postal use. We used to service a bunch of them here.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
oilhammer said:
Jeep already sells RHD Wranglers and Cherokees here. Any dealer can order you one. At least they did. Same with Subaru. For rural postal use. We used to service a bunch of them here.
Ahh that explains it all! Thanks oilhammer!

I'm off to order my RHD scooby WRX..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Scott_DeWitt said:
Ahh that explains it all! Thanks oilhammer!

I'm off to order my RHD scooby WRX..
LOL, I cannot imagine Subie selling a WRX for postal use. :p

Only ones I have ever seen were white automatic Legacy wagons. And actually, I think 1999 was the last year they offered them here. They were built in Indiana, too. They just slightly modified the export versions for US spec. That's right, Subaru built cars HERE to be shipped back to Japan! So do other Japanese car companies.

The mail person at my house drives a RHD previous-gen Wrangler. 4.0L, automatic, in red.

Last edited:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
wow, thank-you for the great feedback

I would take the name of the import company in the USA, because they may have a Canadian branch or know of an outfit to recommend. the jeeps in Germany are left hand drive, the same as North America. Thats why i am looking in Germany for one.
You can get diesel jeeps of the vintage i want in England too, but they are right hand and i would prefer driving sitting on the regular side.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Miles, I think you've got to work with the rules covering Ca. I suspect they're quite different when compared to the NHTSA/DOT/EPA regs.

AJ124

TDI
TDI!
I could imagine the amount of time and energy to import the whole jeep would be similar to buying the swap and doing it yourself.. just my thought.

But i guess if you were going to do it yourself, you may as well do a cummins swap...

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
1. 2001 was the last year for factory RHD Cherokee in the USA
2. RHD Subarus and Saturns are no longer made for postal use.
3. Leisure Equipment Company converts the Liberty.
4. Dieseltoyz is working on diesel Jeep imports
You can only get Wranglers in factory RHD currently. Lots of other folks do dual control and RHD conversions of all sorts of cars (Nine year rural mail carrier and I miss it every day)

FWIW, I put in a call to the company that I used and asked them to kindly give me their contacts in Canada if any. I just made the call, forgive me, I work 3-11:30 pm.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
The OP indicated it's LHD, not RHD.

Why bother importing? Is it a model not available here? It's a Jeep, you should be able to score one here cheaply enough, and save the money for customizing it into whatever you may like.

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
3 words.. "Diesel" "Grand" "Cherokee"

You can buy one here, for the moment, but they only came in Overland models. Which means you pay for a TON of fluff just to get the coveted diesel. In anywhere but North America, you can get a diesel in any year, any model. And the OP wants a diesel, Grand. Used ones here are still in the $30+ range.

supton said:
The OP indicated it's LHD, not RHD.

Why bother importing? Is it a model not available here? It's a Jeep, you should be able to score one here cheaply enough, and save the money for customizing it into whatever you may like.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
So the state can say that ODBI vehicles are no longer emissions checked (or once they hit 10 years old, they're no longer emissions checked) but I can't import a vehicle younger than 25 years old due to federal regulation. How bizarre our country is!

Scott_DeWitt said:
You don't, or wait until the vehicle is 15 years old.

In the USA all cars 24 years and younger must meet federal standards for emissions, and saftey for the date of manufacture. It costs a buttload of money to perform the verification and the modifications.

In Canada the laws as similar except some vehicles you cannot import.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I don't know how bizarre that it. The federal government regulates international trade, so federal rules apply to importing just about anything from outside the country, and especially vehicles because they must meet special rules. Registration and emissions checking are state matters under some federal control, and in some cases under a lot of federal control.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
MILESB said:
I would take the name of the import company in the USA, because they may have a Canadian branch or know of an outfit to recommend. the jeeps in Germany are left hand drive, the same as North America. Thats why i am looking in Germany for one.
You can get diesel jeeps of the vintage i want in England too, but they are right hand and i would prefer driving sitting on the regular side.
Diesel jeeps of that vintage will not meet US emissions out of the box.

I handled the shipping of a Jeep cherokee 2.5 diesel to the USA, and last I heard the company who was performing the federalization process was having difficulty with emissions.

The diesels are super popular in the UK (RHD) and not so popular in Germany.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
Diesel jeeps of that vintage will not meet US emissions out of the box.

I handled the shipping of a Jeep cherokee 2.5 diesel to the USA, and last I heard the company who was performing the federalization process was having difficulty with emissions.

The diesels are super popular in the UK (RHD) and not so popular in Germany.
was it from germany you imported it from? what shipping outfit did you use?
thanks

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
Canada vehicle import regulations

This is CMVSS regulations:
INADMISSIBLE VEHICLES​
Vehicles Manufactured for a Foreign Market
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
Vehicles less than 15 years old and buses manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, that are manufactured for a foreign market (a market other than the United States), do not comply with the CMVSS. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]

[/FONT]

Grey Market Vehicles (just in case)​
Grey market vehicles are foreign-specification vehicles that are re-certified by a United States company. They were originally manufactured for the domestic market of a foreign country and were subsequently imported into the United States where they have been modified to comply with the United States safety and emissions standards. Grey market vehicles may be identified by a label affixed by the United States company that altered the vehicle, indicating that they have been "imported", "altered", or "modified" to comply with the United States standards. These vehicles may not have a certification label affixed to them. Grey market vehicles less than 15 years old are inadmissible for entry to Canada​
Lift Kits
A lift kit (also know as suspension kit or leveling kit) modifies a vehicle to raise the ride height of the vehicle. Pick-up trucks, SUV’s or passenger cars fitted with a lift kit are inadmissible to Canada.​
[/FONT]

This is CFIA requirement:​
CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY (CFIA) REQUIREMENTS​
The following are subject to import requirements, and inspection procedures and fees in order to prevent the entry and establishment of injurious plant pests in Canada:​
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
(a)​
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]used agricultural vehicles, equipment, implements, containers, and carriers;​
(b)​
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]used earth moving vehicles, equipment, implements, tools, carriers and containers;​
(c)​
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]used passenger and recreational vehicles; and​
(d)​
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]used military equipment.
Regardless of origin, imported used vehicles, farm equipment and related earth moving vehicles and equipment [/FONT]must [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]be free from soil, sand, earth, plant residue, manure and related debris. Many exotic plant pest organisms capable of causing economic loss to Canadian agricultural production can be transported in soil and related matter. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT]
On top of all this you are still required to meet transportations requirements ex: Daytime running lights.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]At the time of import you will be required to complete a form 1 vehicle import form, requiring you to show the vehicle permit, vin, country of origin. You will pay 5% tax, any duties applicable when you import and the rest of the tax(dependant on province of residence)when you register the vehicle.​
[/FONT][/FONT]