Please help! Cracked oil pan, now engine squeals!

BioTXTDI

TDI
2004 Golf
Alright guys, my wife cracked the oil pan, and without knowing it, we drove for about 20 minutes more. When we stopped, oil was leaking out. I didn't run the car again after that. So, just finished chaning out the pan, etc. I put in new oil, new filter, etc. Started it up, and went to go warm-up the car. As soon as the car got to 2000 rpm, it starts squealing. So, I put it in revers and pulled back into the drive. Opened the hood and smoke was coming off the engine. :eek:

What do you all think? Did we mess up the engine more than I thought? What should I do next?

:(

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Perhaps there is some oil on the serpentine belt? Try to isolate where the squealing and smoke are coming from, hopefully it's oil on the exhaust and on the serpentine belt and that's all.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Did the oil light come on?

As above, check the serpentine belt. Did you replace the oil pan yourself? What did you have to disassemble to do that? So I take it you found the 3-square bit to undo the last 3 bolts.

It is probably something simple...unless the answer to question 1 is, "Yes and then we drove 15 minutes more..."

BioTXTDI

TDI
2004 Golf
Thankfully no lights came on.

As for the serpentine belt, it very well could have had oil sprayed on it...I was driving on the highway. If so, do I worry about it, clean it, or just let it do its thing?

As for the smoke, I let the engine idle for a little while before driving just to be sure.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just replace the serp belt. If it breaks it can and sometimes does take the TB with it. For the $20 it's not worth it.