Hubcentric Wheel Rings With Aftermarket Wheels?

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I am getting a vibration at speeds over 100 km/hr. I just installed used aftermarket rims on a B4 Passat without hubcentric rings. The wheels look straight and I balanced the tires myself. Is it possible to get a vibration without the rings?

VTJC

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW, 2009, Grey
Re: Hubcentric Wheel Rings With Aftermarket Wheels

Yes, I had a vibration with some Borbet wheels without the hubcentric rings. I ordered the correct hubcentric rings and lugs from the tirerack, which cured the problem. I think it all cost about $40. Jamie

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline

Thanks, I guess they wouldn't make the rings if they didn't solve the problem. Hopefully they will solve mine.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI

Also make sure you use the correct taper lug nuts.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline

It cured the problem, no shakes now. I borrowed the lug nuts from my BMW, they are cone style not the ball type.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen

Yes, hubcentric rings must be used if the wheels do not match up to the hub diameter. If you don't you could break the lugs, causing the wheels to fall off! More likely you will eventually stretch the lug holes in the wheels, especially if you hit potholes.
Trust me, I know. (At least it wasn't my fault!)
-Clarification: I didn't have lugs break, but the holes in the rim did elongate, making the later installation of the rings much more difficult.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline

Even when I tightened the lug bolts it felt better with the rings. Without the rings it felt like the bolts were stretching.