Engine = BLOWN!

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I wasn't looking forward to this day, wasn't even planning on it.

I was leaving the light went into third and then I gave her, shot up to 25psi and BAM! Felt like I hit a brick wall, look into my rear view and just see chucks of random engine parts flying everywhere.....

I guess ill be getting the rosten rods and asv pistons for 1100 from aaron...
I got a used block sitting at the shop... Will update pics if any progress is made.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
***! Lol that's not exactly what you want it to do, what the hell happened?

Jonny Zero

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P ~ 2001 MK4 GOLF TDI ~ R.I.P
Oh, the story of the mod glory! It's only dirty paper. You can make more of that when it's all said and done.

Cheers and good luck

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Impressive mess, that does need some fixing!

Where did it happen? I passed a Silver MKIV w/black rims, on Hwy 5/Burlington area today that was on the shoulder looking like it was having some issues..

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
ahh, the loose part test... found it :) Windows in the block get expensive. I'd be curious as to the cause, though.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
That is definitely what is called, in technical terms, an OOG leak. That means Oil On Ground.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was it not making a bit of a racket before it eventually pooped itself? I would've thought there'd be a bit of banging before that happened.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Yup, the racket happens 10 seconds before it dies.....owtch!! Hope you can get it back together. Hindsight is always 20-20 and always right.....it's pissed me off a few times....good luck!

Last edited:

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but it's threads like these that keep me grounded and shielded from the mod bug. I'm sure this could happen on a stock or slightly modded car, but probably a whole lot less likely. Gotta pay to play I guess... and without people willing to take chances we'd never know what kind of power can truly be harnessed from these motors.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nah man, that stuff happens on non modded cars too, in fact I'd say the chances are the modded cars are generally better looked after than a lot of non modded ones. If anything I think it's just plain back luck.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
A hole in the side of a block can happen to any car at any time. I had a Hyundai Pony back in high school. 4 cyl carburated rear wheel drive hunk of junk. Bone stock, and it was an auto, so its not like I could abuse the engine with hard shifts, etc. I blew a piston out of the side of that block on the 401. The only reason I fixed it was the body was in very good shape. Most Pony's of the era were rusted to hell, so lots of good deals to be had on buying a replacement as a donor vehicle. I picked up a 5 speed with a good motor for $300 and converted my auto to a 5 speed. Didn't enen need an engine hoist. Just 2 guys to reach in and yank out the old motor. Oh to be a teenager again.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
While we're sharing 'hole in the side of block' stories, I blew up my 1988 Volvo 760 Turbo - I had owned it for under 24 hrs having gotten it for free of a friend (due to his angry wife). He told me about a hesitation issue... Took off into traffic, foot on the floor, car cold, and BOOM. A bit of connecting rod came out of the block, through the starter motor, and lodged itself in the body. I still have that bit somewhere....

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
Damn sucks dude...I'm glad mine didn't look like that on Friday...I just got a big massive cloud of white smoke coming out the back of mine :(

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jon, sorry to hear of such misfortune. Looks like you have some serious considerations ahead in terms of repair :(

OTOH, could this photo be the perfect advertisement for the club's most loathed parts "vendor":

:D :D