TDI and the mountains...

Rock Crusher

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Blue
Just got back from a road trip from KC Mo to San Jose CA and after some (around 4000 miles) of
first hand experience driving my '02 Golf TDI 5-speed, I can tell you the car loses nothing in the
mountains.

I half expected over some of the higher passes I'd have to get out and push but the car motored
up what I-40 around Flagstaff AZ had to offer (around 7700 feet above sea level) and the
worst I-15 in SW Utah and I-70 across Utah and Colorado (in places around 10,000 feet
above sea level) with no problems.

Honestly, the TDI is great in the mountains. It maintained its speed (sometimes in the triple-digits)
with no problems and when called upon the accelerate for passing did so without complaint.

Had I been magically transported to the higher elevations without my knowing it, I could have not
been able to tell it from the car's behavior.

Mileage remained about the same, in the low 40mpg range, and I drove at the limit (or higher) when
ever road/traffic conditions permitted it.

I have to say that every day my impression of this car is raised to new levels.

I would only wish for a 6th gear to lower the engine RPMs for freeway cruising
and some stiffer/better handling which maybe just
a tire switch from the stock 15s to 16s or 17s would provide.

(In my dreams, I wish this car was available with say 120hp and 175ft/lbs of torque, a 6-speed manual,
and 4Motion and I'd buy one in a New York second.)

Oh, got the car into some snow in the mid-Mo area just before I left and it got around just fine
on its stock 15" tires with almost 30,000 miles on them.

Sincerely,

Rock Crusher (Oo.)

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
Hi Rock Crusher, OK on the mountainous driving and high country climbing. I live and work at around 6500-7500' elevation. The Tdi is certainly awesome at altitude. I too yearn for a 6th gear (second overdrive) on my cross country junkets to San Diego. These Tdi's are indeed mountain goats.

sadgeek

Rock,

The answer is obvious...

Move to Germany/Switzerland and buy a Passat (130HP, 228lbs/ft, 6spd). Course you then need to find a job too but that shouldn't too difficult when the car only costs approx $23k

Admittedly the 4mo costs a bit more at $26k

JohnD

Rock Crusher,

My Golf PD130 has 6 gears, and I joke none that on the motorway/freeway it is as good as cruising in a Jaguar. At 100mph the rev counter is only reading 2800rpm, and the car can genuinely accelerate from such speeds. I cannot talk of driving in the mountains but very recently I decided to put my foot down going up a large local hill (steep incline) and the speed just kept increasing up to 115mph. This is an amazing little car.

Regards
John D