jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the crud that builds up in them is like concrete

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
the crud that builds up in them is like concrete
CLR that bad boy. I've done at least a dozen cars where they were told to replace the heater core due to plugging. Its worth a try over freezing, waiting and/or the cost, :(

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
vw covers it free, plus clr is hard on the head gasket and water pump

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, pretty much a no brainer when it's warrantied. You could isolate the acid flush to the heater core alone, but it would be a temporary fix at best.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
vw covers it free, plus clr is hard on the head gasket and water pump
You don't run CLR thu the whole system, lol.

As for free, didn't know that BUT if you have to wait weeks to get it fixed, then that is an option if you want to drive. ;)

Yup, pretty much a no brainer when it's warrantied. You could isolate the acid flush to the heater core alone, but it would be a temporary fix at best.
See above. I've done dozens of plugged cores, worked great and lasted for years. Usually, it only comes back if you use the wrong antifreeze or use sealers.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
had a heater cor replaced due to the no heat on passenger side approximately year ago...Now that colder weather set in this winter i'm seeing this problem again?!?! It was fine up until few days ago....VW dealership replaced the core under warranty last time and i'm gonna call them tomorrow to see if they are going to replace it again....hopefully I don't have to pay anything....what a stupid design Jesus Christ.....

replaced under warranty...apparently it is warranted now until 2023!!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
From a proactive perspective, if you monitor the pH of the coolant and change it when it gets down to 7.0 (which is neutral, pH should be slightly alkaline), you may avoid the situation where the coolant turns acidic, erodes, and leaves deposits is small/tight places (like the passages within a heater core). My 2015 TDI with 11,000 miles had a pH of 7.0 when I got it, without any heat distribution problems (yet), and I did a coolant flush and refill.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
From a proactive perspective, if you monitor the pH of the coolant and change it when it gets down to 7.0 (which is neutral, pH should be slightly alkaline), you may avoid the situation where the coolant turns acidic, erodes, and leaves deposits is small/tight places (like the passages within a heater core). My 2015 TDI with 11,000 miles had a pH of 7.0 when I got it, without any heat distribution problems (yet), and I did a coolant flush and refill.
That's too much work IMO....in no other cars have I ever done that nor I will in future....checking the coolant level is as far as I will go :)

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
That's too much work IMO....in no other cars have I ever done that nor I will in future....checking the coolant level is as far as I will go :)
OK. Just so you know, for your car, many of the aluminum items in the cooling system were assembled with excess flux remaining as a residual contaminant which over time causes the alkaline level in the coolant to become acidic and attack/corrode metals in the cooling system. Most other makes didn't have this assembly issue, but many VW's in this era did. You can either understand that and try to be preventive, or do as you wish and possibly (likely) have a replacement heater core in your future with contaminants throughout the cooling system caused by this corrosion that could get to and impact a new replacement heater core in short order (if the flush wasn't done properly). IMO

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. Just so you know, for your car, many of the aluminum items in the cooling system were assembled with excess flux remaining as a residual contaminant which over time causes the alkaline level in the coolant to become acidic and attack/corrode metals in the cooling system. Most other makes didn't have this assembly issue, but many VW's in this era did. You can either understand that and try to be preventive, or do as you wish and possibly (likely) have a replacement heater core in your future with contaminants throughout the cooling system caused by this corrosion that could get to and impact a new replacement heater core in short order (if the flush wasn't done properly). IMO
Some people are just too lazy or stubborn to fix things they feel they shouldn't, :(

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I am getting tired of this one. I have had this performed 3 times already and it is back in today for a 4th time. The last time... they had my car for a month; while in, they replaced the heater core and it was all clogged again during their testing. They then replaced the heater core again and the radiator, flushing numerous times, before returning it to me.
I think that they are missing a key point: there is still flux in the lines.
I used to be proud that these things were built here in the US. Now, I am thinking that the folks that are assembling these things are just sloppy. Also, poor choice in flux/coolant to get a chemical reaction out of it, VW engineers.
And everyone seems to be jumping ship for Subaru, but they have consistent head gasket issues across the board since all of the engines are just various scales of the same design... and you have to drop the entire thing to replace it ($5k). No thanks.
I am going electric. Already replaced my Jetta with a BMW i3. I was hoping to save up after paying off this Passat in a few months and get a used Tesla Model S... I may have to just go get a Prius Prime and deal with that for a while. VW really had the wrong response with Dieselgate; I jumped to their defense for a while, but they are just the German GM. No thanks.
Anybody was a 2014 Passat TDI SE with about 100K miles on it? You can have it for the remaining payments, I am thinking (14 of them at 1.9% w/ VW Credit).

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Always had the replacements done at the same dealership?

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Always had the replacements done at the same dealership?
Yes.

So, the there is some VW rep that goes around to the dealerships. He saw it yesterday and asked them to cut open the heater core so that they can determine what's up. They already know, certainly... its just one of those things that you keep your mouth shut until you're required to open it. At this point, I am at lemon territory. They have had this thing for over a week this time, over a month the last time... a long time each time before.

I wish they would just get this thing fixed. I really would just like to have a reliable car for another 50-100k miles and not have a car payment.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
1.8T clogging too

Just a note.

We replaced Rachel’s mk5 BRM Jetta with a 2014 Passat Wolfsburg edition 1.8T. Bought it right, but with an “as-is” warranty. 106k miles. Nice car, she loves it.

She just told me she doesn’t have any heat. :mad: Wanna bet what we find?

At least they are easy to change the heater core.

Are there any “improved” heater cores out there? Checked numbers, same part as the TDI.

Last edited:

former chevy man

TDI
Jetta '02 Galactic Blue
Anyone know why there is such a huge price difference on the heater cores listed on IDParts.com for a 2012 passat? Is the 89.00 nissens an updated heater core? They both have the same OEM number....