185 deg vs 195 deg thermostat???

dsldave

I have a 98 jetta tdi with 180k miles and decided that it would be wise to change out the waterpump while doing the timing belt. however i did not get a thermostat! I think i should change that also. The autozone is out of 185 (says that that is whats in there from factory) but has a 195 for it. any thoughts? I live in cold winter climate and have a block heater and oil pan heater. If its ok to put this 195 in I can put this back together today, otherwise have to wait till i get one from a dealer...?

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
To be perfectly honest, although prudence says that while all of this coolant is out it would be a good idea to change the thermostat, the truth is that if it worked before, there is no reason it should not continue to work- especially if it's been doing its job faithfully for 180,000 miles. The same could be said for the water pump (as long as it's a ball-bearing type). As long as the coolant has been regularly serviced, they both should last for close to the life of the car.

To answer your question though, the 195 degree thermostat will work fine.

However, I think I would even go to the dealer to buy a thermostat to make sure the temp. was right if I couldn't get one otherwise. These engines are iron block/aluminum head, so they don't like excessive overheating. In my opinion, I wouldn't want to bump up the operating temp. that much closer to the failure temp.- I figure it would be cutting down on your warning time in the event of a problem.

Go with your gut- mine hasn't let me see my shoes yet!!!

-Rich

[ August 18, 2002, 07:29: Message edited by: Nutsnbolts ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
195 is just fine. The car regularly goes higher than that under normal operating conditions, even though the temp gauge doesn't budge. Thermostats aren't all that spot-on accurate and can degrade, or start to open at lower temps as time goes by.

dsldave

thanks for your replys. Also, from my experience things fail at the most inconvient(sp?) time. And often these two items are replaced on cars that are up on mileage. which has nothing to do w/diesel engines.

i like your gut quote!

SOoo, I've decided that I will go to dealer and get oringinal replacement t-stat

thanks
Dave