Chevy Cruze Eco MPG

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
one should read before making big statements.....this writer for the TO star got slightly BETTER mileage than (about 3-4%) than we get with similar mix in driving.....yesssss....better....GM is fighting hard for this 20K eco car market and this eco Cruze is a good hard hit triple at least.....
Yeah but what will it get at real world speeds of 75-85??

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
car is a low revver and the tester for the toronto star does not usually drive 100km/hr

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
............The driving experience of a TDI is more relaxing and satisfying than the Cruze gasoline engine due to the torque output of the engine. Cruze = 138 hp, 150 lb-ft; TDI = 140 hp, 236 lb-ft. Compare both of those cars and you get almost twice the torque with the Jetta as you do with the Cruze...............
Yep, it would seem many here are stuck in the past. The TDI is not (& has not) been designed to be the mpg king. It has been designed & built to convince Americans that diesels are not slow & stinky. To that end they have given up mpg for better overall performance. VW is trying to show America you can "have your cake & eat it too" - good mpg AND a very good drive.

Well, I like to rain on everyone's parade. The Cruz Eco got 48+ mpg @ 60 mph under the FAT right foot of USA Today's Kevin Healy..................
Yeah, so? I have never gone an entire tank highway...........but in 20K the best tank I've done is 50.07. Given the same HP and almost 100 more ft-lbs more torque I can guess which one is more fun to drive.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
car is a low revver and the tester for the toronto star does not usually drive 100km/hr

Across the western US today the freeway default posted limit is 75 in these states:
1)Texas as of Sept. 1, 2011,
2)Louisiana as of April 11, 2011 on I-49,
3)Oklahoma,
4)Kansas as of July 1, 2011,
5)Nebraska,
6)North & 7)South Dakota,
8)New Mexico,
9)Colorado,
10)Wyoming,
11)Montana,
12)Arizona,
13)Nevada,
14)Utah,
15)Idaho
All of these states have 75 as their default speed limit on rural freeways, 65-70 on rural 2 lane highways. Two states, Texas and Utah now have stretches posted at 80 mph today. Maine is considering joining the 75 mph club. 35 states today have at least 70 as their posted maximum today. With allowed speeds across the US today of at least 80-85 mph on most rural freeway stretches and 65-75 mph on rural two lane roads.

In the Denver metro area freeways are posted 65-75 today. Many US cities have 65 posted for urban freeways. Across CA the urban freeway default limit is 65 mph with average travel speeds of 80 mph. In CA anything short of the high 80s to 90 mph on most rural freeways will not get a CHP officers attention.

So in the real world across the US today 60 mph is impractical and dangerous for you if you are driving that slow and to those around you on any freeway and most rural highways across the US. In the west we often set the cruise for hours on end @ 83-85 mph. So that is what I use as a real world speed today. And at that speed I bet this thing will have a hard time getting out of the high 30s mpgUS.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'm in Toronto this week:

If you are on a freeway and doing 100 Km/hr, you better get the hell out of the way as traffic will run you down. I drove to Hamilton this afternoon and no one is going slow, including the big rigs.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The Toronto Star article mentions 5.8 L/100 km with 80% highway driving at 120 km/h, which is the de-facto limit around here. That's not unreasonable at all, and it's very close to what a TDI will do under similar conditions (mine is usually around 5.5 L/100 km).

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Across the western US today the freeway default posted limit is 75 in these states:
1)Texas as of Sept. 1, 2011,
2)Louisiana as of April 11, 2011 on I-49,
3)Oklahoma,
4)Kansas as of July 1, 2011,
5)Nebraska,
6)North & 7)South Dakota,
8)New Mexico,
9)Colorado,
10)Wyoming,
11)Montana,
12)Arizona,
13)Nevada,
14)Utah,
15)Idaho
All of these states have 75 as their default speed limit on rural freeways, 65-70 on rural 2 lane highways. Two states, Texas and Utah now have stretches posted at 80 mph today. Maine is considering joining the 75 mph club. 35 states today have at least 70 as their posted maximum today. With allowed speeds across the US today of at least 80-85 mph on most rural freeway stretches and 65-75 mph on rural two lane roads.

In the Denver metro area freeways are posted 65-75 today. Many US cities have 65 posted for urban freeways. Across CA the urban freeway default limit is 65 mph with average travel speeds of 80 mph. In CA anything short of the high 80s to 90 mph on most rural freeways will not get a CHP officers attention.

So in the real world across the US today 60 mph is impractical and dangerous for you if you are driving that slow and to those around you on any freeway and most rural highways across the US. In the west we often set the cruise for hours on end @ 83-85 mph. So that is what I use as a real world speed today. And at that speed I bet this thing will have a hard time getting out of the high 30s mpgUS.
and at those speeds that is what you will be getting with a TDI...hey listen I cheer the TDI as much as anybody BUT...the mileage advantage is OVER. OVER. OVER. the warranty advantage never was.... and GM has twice the powertrain to a canadian car. they are closing the quality and built like a tank feel of a new Golf/Jetta....and the pricing edge is substantial UP FRONT...resale...we all know the story....so where does that leave us....performance....yet....most TDI drivers...(not necessarily on this site full of nuts like us) are probably pretty average drivers where the 1.4 turbo would do them fine.....VW needs to find more ways to seel and differentiate their diesels over gassers or else sales will FALL. people in a tough economy will not pay the premium for the most part....VW wants to sell 800,000 cars by 2018....they need to work harder cause the market in NA is turning into a dogs breakfeast with cars like the ECO barking hard.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
.....the mileage advantage is OVER. OVER. OVER. the warranty advantage never was...........and GM has twice the powertrain ....and the pricing edge is substantial UP FRONT...resale...we all know the story....so where does that leave us....performance......................probably pretty average drivers where the 1.4 turbo would do them fine.....VW needs to find more ways to seel and differentiate their diesels over gassers or else sales will FALL.
I agree about the mpg, but then that seems to be the plan. The latest diesels are built more for performance than mpg. I guess they're going for better than average mpg & performance that exceeds an equal gasser. One must also remember that to the avg American a sedan, any sedan that gets @ or over 30mpg is revolutionary..............they're used to the v6 Accord/Camrys in the 20's. They'll catch up but for now high 30's/low 40's is amazing, Prius territory.

The warranty? Not sure they need to change or how much it helps. Hyundai has had a 10/100 for a long time - it was outweighed by a reputation for garbage. The very same rep GM has now. It will take some time to see how it impacts sales.

I agree, a 1.4 turbo will do just fine............which may be VW's plan. You can have the same mpg with far better performance. A point which they've been showing in commercials - a bit of performance (fun to drive) AND good mpg. Example: dad & son, he's zipping by traffic & still drives until the sun sets.

Seems to me VW is learning. Look at the new Jetta & Passat. Traditionally they had an "entry" model that had most/all the features many would buy..........they did not however have a low price they could advertise = perceived higher price. Now they have the "S" line with a low entry price they can advertise. They're well aware on 2 or 3 of the truly hardcore will buy them but that's not the point, the point is to have a cheap price they can advertise on TV. Works exceptionally well in the US.

IMHO the biggest obstacle for VW is the service & support network. Stop treating the customer like they're the enemy. They also need to wake up & realize the "cult" or "clan" of VW only works if you're a niche market.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I have to wonder how the Eco will make out. Maybe I'll pick one up in 2 years, used of course, after the bugs have been shaken out. I still think that the "hot" mod will be to swap in the gas tank from the non-Eco Cruze, for longer range... ;)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
And what's the point of having a driver KNEE airbag?? If the driver is wearing their seat belt, I can't see any purpose in having this, and if the driver is not wearing their seat belt, they deserve whatever is coming to them!!
Where is the airbag? Side of car, or under the dashboard? I do know that the lower leg has a tendancy to swing up in a head-on collision; having an airbag about the knee region might help prevent lower leg injury--and that is *with* wearing a seatbelt.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It remains to be seen whether these low-fuel-consumption gasoline engines are actually decent to drive.

A lot of the way they get the low fuel consumption figures is by using super tall gearing. The Cruze Eco appears to be geared about the same as a VW TDI, but the engine makes quite a bit less torque. It may be necessary to downshift for something that doesn't even look like a hill ... and I doubt if it'll pull my trailer in top gear.

The fuel consumption advantage may be mostly gone but there will still be people who actually go out and drive the car, and find that the diesel has better driveability ...

I've already heard that the auto-tranny version of the Hyundai Elantra feels like it's lugging the engine all the time (although I have not driven it myself). The Accent has the same consumption figures despite having a smaller and direct-injection engine and being slightly lighter, but initial reports seem to be suggesting that it doesn't lug the engine as badly as the Elantra does. (If that's the case, they offset the lighter weight and GDI engine by letting the engine rev out a bit more, rather than eke out a slightly better fuel consumption rating.)

My TDI will tow my heavy-duty motorcycle trailer with 2 bikes on it at 120 km/h in top gear on motorways, no issues. Friend's previous-generation Civic (1.7 engine) practically tops out at 110 km/h with their smaller 1-bike trailer in tow ...

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
They are able to get these high MPG numbers by also shutting off the motor at stop lights and such. Also, in order to get those numbers, you have to drive like a "Grandmother", acceleration is measured in Minutes and while you are traveling the highways at 55mph (in a 75mph zone) you are a moving "Chicane".....

I'll take my TDI over these "Eco" things any day....

"push you into the seat" acceleration, 80mph on the highways and still better mileage overall.

MrVermin

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I've already heard that the auto-tranny version of the Hyundai Elantra feels like it's lugging the engine all the time (although I have not driven it myself). The Accent has the same consumption figures despite having a smaller and direct-injection engine and being slightly lighter, but initial reports seem to be suggesting that it doesn't lug the engine as badly as the Elantra does. (If that's the case, they offset the lighter weight and GDI engine by letting the engine rev out a bit more, rather than eke out a slightly better fuel consumption rating.)
Hyundai Elantra comes with a 1.8L "Nu" GDI engine; Accent comes with a 1.6L "Gamma" GDI engine. 200cc less in displacement might not seem like much but it might help a bit with fuel economy ratings.

When I read that the newest 2012 Accent had a 1.6L GDI engine I had thought that Hyundai did a few more updates on the Alpha engine they used in previous Accents. Now I see it's their Gamma engine, and it apparently switched to a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Now I'm not so sure I want one . . .

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
My mom bought a Cruze, I drove it the other day. Its pretty quick, probably as fast as my TDI, and feels really solid. Loaded out the sticker was 23, my loaded TDI wagon was 29 sticker. Hers is the LTZ, not the eco, but still getting high 30s at 70mph. I never get better than 40 in my TDI at 70 on the highway. If they had a wagon, I would consider one. I was actually impressed with it. I work in Detroit and drive a ton of vehicles, and it along with the new focus are a HUGE jump over the old focus and cobalt.

I work for a German company but we do alot of work for GM. They are selling them things like crazy. They do surveys all the time to see if it would be worth bringing a diesel to the market and most people in the US have such a bad perception of them GM wont produce one in the US. (car) I was with a friend the other day and she says "your car is a diesel? I didnt know they put diesels in cars. Dosent sound like a diesel"

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
And what's the point of having a driver KNEE airbag?? If the driver is wearing their seat belt, I can't see any purpose in having this, and if the driver is not wearing their seat belt, they deserve whatever is coming to them!!
The European jetta/golf have knee airbags. Look at the IISI ratings for the sportwagen. You can see that the "leg/foot, right" is the only "marginal" rating. I believe a knee airbag targets that sort of injury:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=231

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My mom bought a Cruze, I drove it the other day. Its pretty quick, probably as fast as my TDI, and feels really solid. Loaded out the sticker was 23, my loaded TDI wagon was 29 sticker. Hers is the LTZ, not the eco, but still getting high 30s at 70mph. I never get better than 40 in my TDI at 70 on the highway. If they had a wagon, I would consider one. I was actually impressed with it. I work in Detroit and drive a ton of vehicles, and it along with the new focus are a HUGE jump over the old focus and cobalt.

I work for a German company but we do alot of work for GM. They are selling them things like crazy. They do surveys all the time to see if it would be worth bringing a diesel to the market and most people in the US have such a bad perception of them GM wont produce one in the US. (car) I was with a friend the other day and she says "your car is a diesel? I didn't know they put diesels in cars. Doesn't sound like a diesel"
If that thing was as big or as heavy as your sport wagon it would be lucky to break 30 mpgUS. It feels tin can like to me compared to any VW.

Don't get me wrong I would really like to see a gasoline car without those stupid batteries be able to equal a diesel powered car. But short of a really light smaller model with a small displacement engine coupled to tall geared manual trans I don't see it happening at today's real world speeds. And I have more than a few Kms clocked down under in models just like I describe at speeds of 70-80 mph getting in the low 40s mpgUS. In "automatic only land" they have to drop in a higher output engine which costs mpgs, it's just that simple. I would jump at the opportunity to purchase a 1.2-1.5 L gas or diesel in a Lupo, Yaris, Polo, ect size car, but not holding my breath.

In the current Golf TDI with a stick you can see mid to high 40s with ease at the speeds I speak of. And if we were to get the 1.6 L TDI currently offered in the Euro spec those numbers would be above 50 mpgUS at those speeds.

I have a late model US spec Corolla and it is a nice car but with a gasoline engine it struggles to break into the low 30s mpgUS real world. I have a friend that has a 2010 Corolla that gets even lower real world. So my experience tells me that this car real world at the real world speeds we all drive today on our alcohol flooded gasoline will be lucky if it can ever see anything out of the mid to high 30s.

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
Gas car fuel economy is going to get better and better. Ive been working with powertrain systems scheduled to come out in the next 3-4 years. I am not saying either is better, I prefer the diesel and the technology myself, but consumers see a higher price tag, higher maintenance costs, and diesel being 30cents per gallon higher than gas like it is here in Michigan, people are going to go with the cheaper option if the fuel economy is close. People that buy economy cars dont really care about the diesel torque, ect. Besides, that 1.4L turbo in the Cruze is pretty peppy. Ive driven them, I think it would suprise you. Havnt driven the Eco model, not sure if its geared different. I know it has lighter wheels/tires, its lower and has some aero features the others dont.

As for the weight, the Cruze LTZ is around 3210, my sportwagen is 3285 with DSG if I am not mistaken

I like my JSW.. I just wish their service was better. My A/C condenser went out with 17000 on the odometer.. Had to wait a day for them to test it, had to wait a week to get the part in, then another week for the dealer to have time to put it in. It was 95 degrees the whole week, all while acting like it was my fault. Oh and the alignment is off... Doh!

What I really want is the TDI in a Q5!!!!

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
..........People that buy economy cars dont really care about the diesel torque, ect. Besides, that 1.4L turbo in the Cruze is pretty peppy. Ive driven them, I think it would suprise you...........
Maybe they don't know what torque is but they will notice that every little bit of added load will hurt the 1.4L where the 2.0L TDI won't notice. Turn on the ac, hit a hill, add a couple of passengers = cough, cough, wheeze, wheeze = more throttle = ding the mpg.

And compare apples to apples

Cruze LTZ = 23,670 msrp
Jetta TDI = 24,865 msrp

$1,195 difference.

I do agree about the .30/gallon, but Americans are just stupid that way. Even @ .30 it's 3.75/tank. Even achieving Chevy's published figures it's about 10.3/mile (@ 3.72/gallon)................Jetta is 9.3/mile (@ 3.92/gallon). Not .30, but my local prices. That's using published data, I'd still wager the Cruze will struggle to hit 42 (it will, under ideal conditions) while the Jetta will easily exceed the number. My personal high so far has been 50.7 but generally highway is 46 ish.

Which one is more fun to drive again? Same HP & 100 ftlbs more torque?

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Which one is more fun to drive again? Same HP & 100 ftlbs more torque?
Americans have been driving "weak" 4 bangers for years, and are "used" to how they drive. What is better, another "weak" 4 banger that gets great FE when unloaded and probably drives better than the other "weak" 4 bangers -- OR -- a VW that gets great FE under all conditions -- but comes with oh so great VW service and reliability?

Speaking of which: besides the requirement for synthetic oil (due to the turbo) -- what are the other specialty fluids this thing will require?

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
EJS, I race mountain bikes and travel alot for it, one of the reason I bought the TDI wagon. With my bikes on my tray rack, the wheels stick out of the sides a little bit... I get on average 4mpgs less with my bikes on than without. I wouldnt think it would be that much of a difference, but it is.

As for your price comparison, you are comparing entry TDI to the most expensive Cruze. My sticker was 29K. Has everything but Nav, not that I wanted one loaded out but it was the end of the model year and its what they had, and 1.9% APR was nice. :)

I am not trying to push the Cruze, I just think its night and day better than what it replaced. I just work in the industry, with gas and diesel engines, and see what americans think about diesels and what the new gas cars getting MPGs that they are/will be soon, its going to be even that much harder to sell diesels than it is now.

Agree, the jetta is more fun to drive. Just wish mine got better on the highway. Without the bikes I get right around 40, with them on, usually 36. 70mph.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
.............but comes with oh so great VW service and reliability?
You'll never hear me touting VW service, reliability? Depends on who you ask, some yes & some no..............like any other car. I do think the client is an issue, autos where service greatly impacts longevity (or reliability) aren't well suited to the American market. That's why Honda & Toyota do so well - they survive no matter how poorly treated.

....As for your price comparison, you are comparing entry TDI to the most expensive Cruze. My sticker was 29K.
Which is why I said apples to apples. You mentioned a Cruze @ 23K. The JSW is more expensive, the 24,8 I mentioned isn't entry. The sedan only really has two options - auto & nav. I added the former & skipped the latter.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Love how everyone talks down to "Americans" in here. Like we have no idea about motor vehicles.

I know several people with Chevy Caveliers that have 200k miles on them with very little problems. I have a Ford Tauras with 190k miles on it and almost no issues. Replaced a couple coolant bottles, the rear struts, the front ball joints, and a gas cap. No timing job needed on it, replaced fluids as needed.

Sorry folks but when you are buying an economy car, you don't care about the driving experience that much. Golf TDi's are going for $25k+ Comparing MSRP is not really a good comparison. Compare what the cars are selling for. Edmunds true market value does a pretty good job.

For years people on here justified their TDi because of mileage, but now that other manufactures are competing with the TDi, you change why you have the car. "The Driving Experience". Diesel is $0.40 a gallon more here. Also if you want the better mileage vehicle don't get the DSG. Sure it gets better economy but figure in the price of the DSG service and it is a wash (doing the labor yourself, just parts).

ChasSidwa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006.5, Silver Diesel Edition
And compare apples to apples

"Cruze LTZ = 23,670 msrp
Jetta TDI = 24,865 msrp

$1,195 difference."

I just checked Chevy's web site and see the Cruze Eco, with the 1.4 turbo, lists at $18,425.00, That would be $6,440.00 less then the Jetta.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
You'll never hear me touting VW service, reliability? Depends on who you ask, some yes & some no..............like any other car. I do think the client is an issue, autos where service greatly impacts longevity (or reliability) aren't well suited to the American market. That's why Honda & Toyota do so well - they survive no matter how poorly treated.
What market has perfect consumers? I've been overseas lots of times and the cars just about anywhere are abused or neglected. In London they play bumper cars to push themselves into the smallest parking spaces. Just like here some people baby their autos and others use them as a disposable appliance. To say that Americans abuse their auto's more than other nations is BS. What Country are you referring too and have you actually been there?

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
What market has perfect consumers? I've been overseas lots of times and the cars just about anywhere are abused or neglected. In London they play bumper cars to push themselves into the smallest parking spaces. Just like here some people baby their autos and others use them as a disposable appliance. To say that Americans abuse their auto's more than other nations is BS. What Country are you referring too and have you actually been there?
Reading comprehension?

Please point out where I mention perfect. All I mentioned was that Americans aren't particularly keen on preventative maintenance. And yes, it is a generalization but speaking of a "market" (as in the US consumers) is by it's very definition a generalization.

Also, I didn't compare them to anyone - a simple statement about tendencies of a certain market.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Reading comprehension?

Please point out where I mention perfect. All I mentioned was that Americans aren't particularly keen on preventative maintenance. And yes, it is a generalization but speaking of a "market" (as in the US consumers) is by it's very definition a generalization.

Also, I didn't compare them to anyone - a simple statement about tendencies of a certain market.
Without a country/region for comparison you have no point outside of a ignorant stereotype.

In S. America there are tons of really old cars running around not because they take care of them but because labor is cheap and cars (taxes) are expensive so they fix everything. No one takes care of anything in the oil producing Countries of the Middle East because money is like water and very few old cars exist as finding a mechanic and parts is damn near impossible. We had to ship mechanics and parts in from India and Pakistan to manage the fleet. I've traveled a lot for work and still only seen maybe 5% of the world so i could never make such a broad statement.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Like BadMonkey says, it depends on where you are. I spent a lot of time in Trinidad in the 1990's and cars are like gold there. The cab I took to the hotel in Port of Spain one night had 600,000 miles on it; and it was a 1970's Chevy Nova...

There are very few car dealers on the island of over 1,000,000 people and parts are hard to come by. People who can afford (or find) a car there do anything they can to keep it running.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Like BadMonkey says, it depends on where you are. I spent a lot of time in Trinidad in the 1990's and cars are like gold there. The cab I took to the hotel in Port of Spain one night had 600,000 miles on it; and it was a 1970's Chevy Nova...

There are very few car dealers on the island of over 1,000,000 people and parts are hard to come by. People who can afford (or find) a car there do anything they can to keep it running.
It has now become the dumping ground for used cars from Japan. Every taxi i got in had the nav. screen stuck spinning over the island of Japan as it was the only map available. I traded my last taxi drive for a week of free rides and hooked up RC/audio cables so he could at least use the screen for something. For a large Indian culture they seem to have very few good computer geeks on the island?

One of the few places i refuse to drive in, damn they are scary drivers:eek:

Edit**** Are you sure it was miles and not kilometers?

The downtown area has a couple new car dealers now but only the top 1% could afford to buy one. It always cracked me up how expensive items like jewelery, cars, and homes are advertised in US dollars and cheaper items are in Trinidad dollars.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It has now become the dumping ground for used cars from Japan. Every taxi i got in had the nav. screen stuck spinning over the island of Japan as it was the only map available. I traded my last taxi drive for a week of free rides and hooked up RC/audio cables so he could at least use the screen for something. For a large Indian culture they seem to have very few good computer geeks on the island?

One of the few places i refuse to drive in, damn they are scary drivers:eek:

Edit**** Are you sure it was miles and not kilometers?

The downtown area has a couple new car dealers now but only the top 1% could afford to buy one. It always cracked me up how expensive items like jewelery, cars, and homes are advertised in US dollars and cheaper items are in Trinidad dollars.
It may have been klicks for all I remember. Too much pot smoking going on in the island to get hooked on computers....:D we were looking for a spot to build an ammonia plant and there were fields of hemp growing all around the areas where we were poking holes into the ground. Ended up in Point Lisas (new area there in 1997). Crazy, crazy place.....