Jetta TDI vs. Cruze Eco: your thoughts.

mattp123

TDI
considering 2011 jetta tdi
hello all. new member in chicago considering a jetta tdi manual and a cruze eco. i dont drive a whole lot at the moment, about 40 miles per day at the most. i'm usually not stuck in heavy traffic nor wide open highways. but that may change with my job. im looking for an all around good looking, presentable, dependable, fuel efficient car that is fun to drive.

i like the jetta's simple clean styling. its so plain that theres nothing to really love or hate or show its age in the future. the cruze on the other hand looks more like a 16 year old girls car and has styling that screams "im from around 2010". if i have to drive around clients in the future the jetta will be the more comfortable and presentable car.

both cars have a nice ride. the tdi feels like a diesel as it should, which is a whole new experience for me. the cruze's gas engine has a familiar power band. the transmission in the cruze feels very nice. positive feel, short throws, tight predictable feel in the clutch. overall it feels sporty. the jetta on the other hand... it doesnt feel like ****, but more like diarrhea. its soft, loose and kinda mushy with longer throws. aside from the slight diesel vibrations in the clutch, its kinda numb. it's acceptable for an economy car. its not bad, but i'm used to a tremec tr6060.

the tdi is naturally fuel efficient where as the cruze eco uses a lot of aerodynamic enhancements and a taller 6th gear to give it that extra fuel economy. (rhetorical question) what does that mean for the cruze if one of those components fails? in the event that we run out of oil in the future, the tdi can probably run on biofuels, not sure about the cruze...

the cruze is cheaper, but you also get less features, and you dont get a maintenance program as you would in the jetta. however, being a german car, the cost of insurance and maintenance and repairs in the long run may add up. and i have read some horror stories on here about glow plugs and fuel pumps failing pretty quick... and up until i started reading some honest stories on here i was dead set on the jetta. then again i see some go past 200k miles with nothing major...

so do i go with the more attractive, slightly more fuel efficient, slightly larger, better equipped jetta and hope it doesnt become a maintenance nightmare?

Last edited:

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Roll the dice and join the club. I personally wasn't sold on the jetta when i bought it. I bought it because i just sold my car and i needed a car, and always wanted a diesel and now was the time. I cant tell you how much i enjoy driving this car and i got the DSG, its super awesome shifts very fast and smooth. Personally i wouldn't go with a manual when you have the option of a DSG, but its just me. In the end, an automatic DSG will be close to break even with a manual.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
My Jetta had quite a few problems from the get go but after a few trips to the dealer and a couple of months later everything is now sorted out and I have a car I love to drive. I bought it because I wanted a diesel and the economy which go's along with owning a diesel. I do a lot of highway to and from work so the savings are deffinately worth it for me. I took it manual instead of dsg and have absolutely no regrets, however, the dsg is fun as well.
About the Cruz...I'm not a GM guy, had a Saturn last year (temporary lease take-over) and it was the most boring car to drive. Ever since GM killed the electric car they can go to hell anyways.
As far as driving clients around, I don't think either of your choices is really that great, deffinately the Jetta over the Cruz but I would be thinking more of a Passat if it was me.

FYI - You're posting this in a Jetta TDI forum, i'm guessing anybody reading this won't be pulling for the Cruz.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
VW's warranty isn't exactly the greatest. Start checking into what is and isn't covered.

Nextwhat

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Not sure if its an issue for you, but it my understanding the backseat space in the Cruze is much tighter than the Jetta.

mattp123

TDI
My Jetta had quite a few problems from the get go but after a few trips to the dealer and a couple of months later everything is now sorted out and I have a car I love to drive. I bought it because I wanted a diesel and the economy which go's along with owning a diesel. I do a lot of highway to and from work so the savings are deffinately worth it for me. I took it manual instead of dsg and have absolutely no regrets, however, the dsg is fun as well.
About the Cruz...I'm not a GM guy, had a Saturn last year (temporary lease take-over) and it was the most boring car to drive. Ever since GM killed the electric car they can go to hell anyways.
As far as driving clients around, I don't think either of your choices is really that great, deffinately the Jetta over the Cruz but I would be thinking more of a Passat if it was me.

FYI - You're posting this in a Jetta TDI forum, i'm guessing anybody reading this won't be pulling for the Cruz.
thats my fear; buying a brand new car with bugs is very discouraging even if they are worked out. it's the whole principal and reason of buying a new car, especially one which boasts the almighty german engineering (especially those trunk hinges :rolleyes:). i'm aware it's a tdi forum and there will be some bias (i will post this in a cruze forum as well). just looking to see if personal experiences can confirm my logic and give me peace of mind.
i do like the looks of the current impala, err i mean upcoming passat, but i expect it will be out of my price range :(

Not sure if its an issue for you, but it my understanding the backseat space in the Cruze is much tighter than the Jetta.
it is tighter. and considering i might be a parent in 5 years, extra room might come in handy.

Cruze diesel NOT coming anytime soon .... watch this episode of autoline detroit, confirmed by GM North American Mark Reuss.

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1513

Looks like the Germans are still the only ones that have the balls to bring diesel cars into north america.
thats unfortunate. cruze hatch in diesel might make the choice easier.

Roll the dice and join the club. I personally wasn't sold on the jetta when i bought it. I bought it because i just sold my car and i needed a car, and always wanted a diesel and now was the time. I cant tell you how much i enjoy driving this car and i got the DSG, its super awesome shifts very fast and smooth. Personally i wouldn't go with a manual when you have the option of a DSG, but its just me. In the end, an automatic DSG will be close to break even with a manual.
if i had to drive around the hills of SF as you do i would probably go with DSG as well. im a fan of tradition and the control you get with a proper manual. if it doesnt require 2 feet and 2 hands, its not a manual to me.

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Based on what you wrote, it's not an easy choice. You didn't sound overly impressed with the test drive of the Jetta. The Jetta will have a higher initial cost and will probably be costlier to maintain over the life of the car. There are other cost effective choices, including Hyundais and Kias. You'll have to decide whether the added cost of the TDI is worth the driving experience and any added features. I have enjoyed my TDIs, but like all cars they have their own set of issues that you can learn about on this site. Good luck on your decision.

Lukesan

TDI
Jetta
Cruze diesel NOT coming anytime soon .... watch this episode of autoline detroit, confirmed by GM North American Mark Reuss.

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1513

Looks like the Germans are still the only ones that have the balls to bring diesel cars into north america.

Must be some American decision. We can get the cruze here (nobody wants it here :) ) with a 2.0 Diesel.
2 versions 125HP and 150HP.
The chassis is developed by Opel and should be good.
I like the side and back of that car but the front looks a bit hideous. Looks like some big plastic monster is going to eat you.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
Based on your low mileage the Cruze may be a better choice as you can save a large chunk of change which you can use for the gas?

I do a lot of driving (200~300KM per day) so for me a Diesel is the ideal vehicle as my TDI can go for +850KM per tank.

Before you decide do a search on the Cruze recall. There is an issue with the steering falling off due to improper assembly. Make sure the car you buy has that recall done.

Have you consider other alternatives: Elantra or 2012 Civic which may be more reliable and economical? Or the new Ford Forcus which looks awesome?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Let's help OP find the right car.... mattp123, is the car going to be used for work only? can you write off any car expense? Leasing it mabye? If you will be driving clients around, I'd says the bigger Jetta with more spacious and more mature business like interior would suit you better. The thing that I don't like about the interior of some of these cars from Hyundai, Ford...etc., the interior, the dash, center console are all made like the face of years 2000-2005 Nokia cell phone, lots of curvatures, too much of them. The design for mobile phone has actually gone back to basic, flat screen squarish shape smartphone from iPhone, HTC, business like phone from RIM. Silly looking and over doing ID like those from Hyundai, they just don't last.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I bought my Jetta in January and have been happy so far (10k miles). I bought it because I am a diesel head first and foremost. The other reasons are mileage, interior room (I'm a big guy, and carry customers some of whom are big guys too, to lunch), and styling. I liked the room in the Kia Seoul I test drove but it had zero power, poor economy, and the styling was more fit for a 16 year old cheerleader then me.

Nothing Chevy makes has ever impressed me besides the Corvette. Go for the Jetta and don't look back.

mattp123

TDI
the car will be used for commuting to and from work, possibly for business purposes at some point (which i would probably be reimbursed a standard rate per mile), and for personal use. I wouldnt be able to write it off as a company car or business expense.

i agree regarding the styling of the asian offerings, and even the focus and cruze are pushing it. the civic exterior isnt bad, but the interior ruins it (and i have driven them as part of my previous employers fleet, not exciting). in order to get the higher mpg with the focus, you have to settle for less features as with the cruze.

im still leaning towards the jetta as it is a good looking car with many features i like and good fuel economy. i also like the "buyers option" volkswagen offers where i can lease the car with the option to buy it after the lease. that may be the way to go as i can stretch the payments out over a longer time and if the car is problematic than i just wont hang on to it.

thanks for all the input so far.

JoeM5952

TDI
MkVI Jetta DSG
I have had my Jetta for a month now and love it. I have had zero issues with it thus far and love the gas mileage. It is sporty enough and torquey which makes it entertaining to drive.

marisco

TDI
pending
Buy the chevy.... I want my gm stock to get higher so I can sell...... :D

Personally, the jetta seems like a better fit and is a more mature car for you (all the better to show off to clients, doesn't scream teenager)...

or wait for the new passat, it has the 'goodies' that were de-contented from the jetta and some extras (leather, soft touch plastics, full MFD, IRS, dual zone climatronic, auto headlights, power seats)

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Hard call that I was mulling over recently. I was reading Eco reviews on Fuelly and it's pulling very similar MPG to the diesel. Lots of people raving about the 6 speed.

So what is the price difference out on dealer's lots? I know what MSRP is, but I don't know if people are paying it. If people are paying close to MSRP, aren't you looking at a $4000 difference? I think many people think the Cruze Eco costs about the same as the TDI. Sounds like, given the MPG the Eco is netting and price of diesel, that the Cruze is the substantially cheaper choice if you buy.

A couple things about VW ownership, particularly the TDI:
a) A maintenance program is not necessarily a good thing a VW dealership
b) The clean diesel is a very sophisticated engine that uses lots of exhaust treatment; the potential is there for more costly repairs. You cannot compare older TDIs to this engine; complete apples to oranges comparison. There were problems with the high pressure fuel pumps (5-10k repair) on the new cars, but as far as I can see, it APPEARS the silent revisions to the pump have been successful, at least for the 'short' run.
c) You cannot really run biofuels in this engine. B5 maximum.
d) Stay active on this site; it could save you time and money if and when something does go wrong, at the very least. This is a very good automotive forum.

It sounds like the most important questions to ask in making your decision are how much the styling and extra room of the Jetta mean to you, particularly the latter. The new Jetta is pretty big, Cruze felt quite small to me when I sat in it (I'm tall)

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Like the whole engine, when the HPFP decides to have a sudden catastrophic failure and takes out the whole thing?
Turbochargers and wheel bearings not covered because VW doesn't consider them part of the powertrain. Things like that have to be considered. I've been fighting with VW over 2 1/2 years now about repairing my trans and it took a year and writing VAG in Germany to get the dealer to fix my radio under warranty.

Speed Devil

TDI
None yet, trying to get one in the family though
I'm not gonna get technical, but I gotta agree with the OP, the Cruze looks like a 16 girls first car, the Jetta seems more mature and pimptastic, plus there's already an aftermarket to make it even more efficient

Oh, btw, I'm Mike, nice to meet you guys

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
So what is the price difference out on dealer's lots? I know what MSRP is, but I don't know if people are paying it. If people are paying close to MSRP, aren't you looking at a $4000 difference? QUOTE]

I looked at a Cruze today with the standard options. Manual tranny, the 17 inch wheels etc. The price was $20,700. Salesman asked me if I had another GM product in the family and I said yep, old 96 GMC 4x4 truck with 400,000kms on it and he said the "loyalty" program would take an additional $500 off the price of the car.

So a similar equipped TDI (a comfortline with the 6speed) I believe is around $25,000.

I didn't take the car for a test drive but did sit in it. I'm comparing the brochures side by side and I'm not seeing where people think the Jetta is a bigger car (unless you are down to a millimeter measurement). Other than rear leg room (Cruze = 898mm vs. Jetta = 1046mm).

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and funny thing about the dash in the Cruze. At least a portion of it goes against the Jetta's so called "hard dash" syndrome. It has a big band of a sort of fabric covered section. Not sure if I am crazy about it but I guess it splits it up a bit. It'd be hellish if you had a dog in the car as the hair would be stuck all over the friggin' dash and you couldn't just wipe it since its fabric.

mattp123

TDI
Oh, and funny thing about the dash in the Cruze. At least a portion of it goes against the Jetta's so called "hard dash" syndrome. It has a big band of a sort of fabric covered section. Not sure if I am crazy about it but I guess it splits it up a bit. It'd be hellish if you had a dog in the car as the hair would be stuck all over the friggin' dash and you couldn't just wipe it since its fabric.
so ive priced out the cruze and jetta using their online "build your own" tools. 19,175 for the cruze. saw a jetta at a local dealer for 24,414 with the nice floor mats, lip spoiler and exhaust tips. it would be another 1200 on top of the jetta to add the nav package, unfortunately i dont really want the nav and i have no problem turning a key... i mainly want the chrome trim under the window, on the grille and the fog lights so i probably wouldnt spend the extra 1200. so its about a 5k difference. but the jetta looks better, gets marginally better fuel economy, has a maintenance program and has some additional features (sunroof, heated seats, vinyl seats, leather wrapped steering wheel. although the dimensions seem close in numbers, the jetta's proportions do seem to leave more room on the interior.

the fabric on the cruze eco dash does seem cheap, and the interior does sort of scream base model since most features are the standard ones or not present at all. but fit and finish seem pretty good. the nicer equipped cruze interior does look many times better especially in red or terracotta leather. for example: http://custom.netcarshow.com/Chevrolet/2011-Cruze/75.htm
the cruze is a nice car, and its not horrible looking, its just not my style.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Really tough choice....i own the golf tdi....I ALMOST bought a Cruze a few weeks ago for my commute (TDI driven by wife daily)..the eco is a beauty in the 6 speed....incredibly quiet and feels very well screwed together....its solid money cheaper in Canada (5k +) and has lots of neat features and I loved the mesh dash....That little 1.4T is very well sorted out and I know it's crazy but decided to go for a guzzler sedan on European delivery (Volvo S60 T5 2012)....but on choice between both cars....GM offers 100K mile powertrain...VW 50K (miles) in canada and GM will likely be lower maintenance...No DPF...no T belt...(chain on eco I believe)....Eco has way less torque but a sweety to drive and shift....tough choice....powertrain on jetta/golf are built to last forever....not sure the 1.4T will last as long...other components? the resale would swing me at end of day....VW diesels are gold for resale and always have been....at 1.30/liter and climbing I would swing VW but by a very close margin.....watch out VW....Cruze Eco is coming.... rated @ 61mpg on hwy in Canada on RUG).....

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Chevy Cruze Eco EPA ratings (L / 100 km) - city / highway:
Manual 8.4 5.6
Auto 9.0 6.4

Jetta TDI EPA ratings (GLE / 100 km) - city / highway: (1 L of diesel = 1.14 GLE)
Manual and DSG 8.9 / 6.4

What most Chevy Cruze buyers will most likely buy: 1.8 L naturally aspirated engine
Auto 10.7 / 6.7

But how well does the Cruze Eco perform in real world city driving?

Last edited:

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Chevy Cruze Eco EPA ratings (L / 100 km) - city / highway:
Manual 8.4 5.6
Auto 9.0 6.4

Jetta TDI EPA ratings (GLE / 100 km) - city / highway: (1 L of diesel = 1.14 GLE)
Manual and DSG 8.9 / 6.4

What most Chevy Cruze buyers will most likely buy: 1.8 L naturally aspirated engine
Auto 10.7 / 6.7

But how well does the Cruze Eco perform in real world city driving?
Cruze Eco max torque 148 @ 1850 RPM, probably drive not bad in fuel saving mode. With a M6 trani, that's really all you need to move the car gradually to highway speed, but it's not going to have the same kind of TDI pulling capacity under more strigent conditions where more power is simply better.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
yeh, just to keep things straight for comparisons this is the 6sped Cruze "Eco" model we are talking about here with the 1.4L turbo. Mattp123 you are talking about definitely a more dressed up Cruze. The standard "eco" model is not sunroof or leather equipped. At least the info I got from the brochure (Canadian) was that for those goodies, you were moving up to the LTZ model with a different gear ratio in the tranny and slightly less aerodynamic features that bump the MPG down a bit.

The prices I was throwing out there was as close to apples to apples as the two models had.

BretAZ

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My neighbor just purchased a Cruze. Paid MSRP. Said nobody would discount them, period. His is an Eco with the 6m, and he paid right at $20k for it. I picked up a 2011 Jetta TDI 6m with sunroof that had an MSRP of $23,765 for only $21,990. Personally, I think the Jetta has more options and is a better value. There would have to be a bigger price difference for me to consider the Cruze. He loves his car, and said he gets 40 mpg consistently.

I think the Jetta has more style, and looks like a much more expensive car than it is. I have only had it for two weeks, but I have no regrets at this point. The Cruze is nothing more than a replacement for the Cobalt. I give GM credit, but its going to take more than that for me. I think they are moving in the right direction.

In terms of service, I have not had good service from GM or VW, both at the corporate level and dealer level. Regardless of which one you go with, you will need to find a good service advisor at a good dealership. That is what is going to determine how your ownership experience goes.

mattp123

TDI
im considering the eco model and priced them as closely as equipped as i could and noted the obvious missing features above. the price difference between MSRP is about 5000. the cruze would certainly be a step up from my current car, and there is a chevy dealer closer to home than vw, and we do have a good relationship with them. not that problems are only going to occur while its in the drivway... i still have more reason to like the jetta, just concerned with long term cost of maintenance.