Alh fuse 28 battery drain

TGD

TDI
2004 A3 1.9 TDI BKC
Hi,got a 2001 Golf ALH which drains the battery,i've found out that the drain is on fuse number 28 which as far as i can find out is for the fuel pump.
But i've also found out that the ALH don't have a fuel pump ??? Hmm...
Can anyone confirm what the fuse 28 is for and come up with any suggestions as to what might cause the drain ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Check by pulling the fuse. What dies. These cars are known for having an Monsoon amp that won't shut down when the car is shut down. Check into that.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Do you mean pulling the fuse with the engine running ?
No, it doesn't have to be running. Pull the fuse and see what doesn't now work/turn on and verify if draw is gone.
My generic MklV list also has #28 as fuel pump, but I didn't look to see if there is in fact a fuse in that space. But, I will.

Edit: #28 should normally be empty on ALH TDI. Prior owner install something non-OEM?

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
My generic MklV list also has #28 as fuel pump, but I didn't look to see if there is in fact a fuse in that space. But, I will.

Edit: #28 should normally be empty on TDI. Prior owner install something non-OEM?
I was just going to say the same thing. Bentley book shows fuse #28 is for the fuel pump in gas models. Fuse slot #28 is empty in my 03 ALH Golf.

Edit: I just took a look at the BEW wiring in the book, and it shows fuse #28 (15a) for fuel pump relay. Maybe this car isn't an ALH...didn't they have the PD's much earlier in the UK? I'm assuming this is a non-NAR car...

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
#28 is the in-tank lift pump fuse in the BEW PD engine. It's the one I had to pull to make sure I didn't take a diesel bath when doing a Diesel Purge last week! I think it's an empty slot on earlier MKIVs.

TGD

TDI
2004 A3 1.9 TDI BKC
Thanks for the replies,the engine is definitely an ALH,and i agree with you guys,fuse 28 is listed as fuel pump for the petrol/gas models.
I can't find anything that stops working if i pull it and the drain drops down to 0.05 when it's pulled.
I'll try it with the engine running later today and see if it makes any difference.
Thanks for all the replies,it's much appreciated :)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Any chance a prior owner installed a sub/amp or other aftermarket equipment? What sort of radio is currently in the car?
Fog/backup lights, etc?

TGD

TDI
2004 A3 1.9 TDI BKC
Previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo which also drained the battery but it's a DAB radio so don't know if this fuse could have anything to do with the stereo or aerial.
I have disconnected the stereo before searching for the draw but will go out later today and see if i can find out what's been hooked up to fuse 28.
There's no other aftermarket equipment fitted to the car as far as i know.
Thanks for the suggestions :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo which also drained the battery but it's a DAB radio so don't know if this fuse could have anything to do with the stereo or aerial.
I have disconnected the stereo before searching for the draw but will go out later today and see if i can find out what's been hooked up to fuse 28.
There's no other aftermarket equipment fitted to the car as far as i know.
Thanks for the suggestions :)
I installed a Kenwood radio in mine.
I removed the amp also.
I ran new power and grounds to avoid this and not to worry about the ECU not communicating to a scanner.
I used the power studs under the relay box.
One for always on (memory) and one for power only when the key is on. (not cranking)
Both have an inline fuse the size listed in the manual.

TGD

TDI
2004 A3 1.9 TDI BKC
That's the way i connected up the stereo as well after i found out it was draining the battery.
Went out today and had another look around,turns out there was a constant power hooked up to the aerial,disconnected it and there doesn't seem to be any loss in the amount of stations it can find or the signal quality.
The drain went from 0.18 amp down to 0.01 amp so the problem with a flat battery should hopefully be gone.
Thanks again for all the help guys :)