The Worst Oil Change Ive Ever Done

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
There has to be a tool that dealers will use for this or maybe one of the vendors here will come up with one. I don't plan on taking the car to the dealer for oil changes and it would be nice not to have to muck my stall after an EA288 oil change..lol. If there is muck though....I'll get er done....lol

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
So, from reading one of the earlier posts, it sounds like all the oil is drained out through a 10mm plug in the cap on the filter housing? No need to drain the pan separately?

Regarding the use of cinder blocks to support a car: It's not a good idea and believe me, it is scary as he## if a car moves while you're under it. I was once working on an old 1976 BMW 530i that I had. I foolishly supported it with only a jack and I was completely under the car, with my face under the transmission. The car was a bit rusty and it unexpectedly gave way. Instantly, the car got three inches closer to my face while I was laying under it looking up. WOW...did I get out from under there in a hurry...and it was a tight squeeze.

Guess how careful I am now when working underneath cars. I take no chances, and no shortcuts, and use only things that were designed to hold up cars.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I do have a Pella 6000 for my Mk4, but since the Mk7 requires a bottom side filter change I guess I'll be draining the pan from the bottom too. The Pella offers very little advantage on the Mk7.

My girlfriend is picking up the Mk7 on Saturday, so I'm poking around on the forum to see what fun is in store for me to maintain it. It'll be a Comfortline TDI with DSG and the convenience package.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
The ones that are real thin and made in China...Please take a video for us also...:)
Is it really necessary for you to troll internet boards and induce people to become contestants for your awards?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Is it really necessary for you to troll internet boards and induce people to become contestants for your awards?
The subject has already caused quite a commotion. I've said I'll stay far away from the subject lest it be rehashed again and again.

With that said:

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
The subject has already caused quite a commotion. I've said I'll stay far away from the subject lest it be rehashed again and again.
With that said:
I think you mistook my sacrcasm. Did you happen to notice his screen name?

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
Well I do have a Pella 6000 for my Mk4, but since the Mk7 requires a bottom side filter change I guess I'll be draining the pan from the bottom too. The Pella offers very little advantage on the Mk7.
My girlfriend is picking up the Mk7 on Saturday, so I'm poking around on the forum to see what fun is in store for me to maintain it. It'll be a Comfortline TDI with DSG and the convenience package.
Does anyone make a bypass filter designed for the MK7 that would allow placing the filter(s) in a place that would enable topside oil changes?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
You have to understand these things are engineered for VW dealers to maintain (and perhaps well equipped indy shops) and not for owners.
Shops have lifts and special tools we might be lacking.
They also have flat rate books that the charges are based on.
All of that is well and good, but it does make things a little more difficult for the home garage mechanic.
II have ramps, a good floor jack and jack stands and I can get under the car safety, but inconveniently.
If I could drive up on the lift, raise the car for access to the underside. Roll the oil collection equipment under the car, plug in the filter drain tool and then rotate the tires etc and perform the 10,000 mile inspection. Perhaps dp the DSG service (40,000 mile service) etc. then it is all all good.
I can't do that, but I can get it accomplished. It is just more trouble. professionals have greater investment in equipment, training and experience and should be compensated for their investment if it is used.
VW could concentrate on making their cars more owner maintainable, but what is the incentive at least from their direct customers the dealers?
Dealers are offering lifetime warranty (iner in Mobile, AL.) but the car has to be maintained according to the maintenance schedule by a certified, licensed shop. This might be a little expensive.
I haven't calculated just ow much that would cost, but I wager it would add a bit to the cost per mile.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Dealers are offering lifetime warranty (iner in Mobile, AL.) but the car has to be maintained according to the maintenance schedule by a certified, licensed shop. This might be a little expensive.
I haven't calculated just ow much that would cost, but I wager it would add a bit to the cost per mile.
Now that would be the one thing that would keep me going to the dealership.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Does anyone make a bypass filter designed for the MK7 that would allow placing the filter(s) in a place that would enable topside oil changes?
Finally, a new idea that does not focus on those cardboard blocks for holding your car up! This idea has "wheels" (or legs, that is!).

I am a real Darwin fan. Natural selection favors the intelligent and cleverist of toads.
I still say the real solution is a grease pit! Working on it...don't lift it, get under it.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Finally, a new idea that does not focus on those cardboard blocks for holding your car up! This idea has "wheels" (or legs, that is!).

I am a real Darwin fan. Natural selection favors the intelligent and cleverist of toads.
I still say the real solution is a grease pit! Working on it...don't lift it, get under it.
Back yard jiffy lube pit for the win!

I would think that someone is working on a Bypass filter for the mkvii. Perhaps someone in Europe has one made already since the mkvii has been there for a few years now.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Back yard jiffy lube pit for the win!
I would think that someone is working on a Bypass filter for the mkvii. Perhaps someone in Europe has one made already since the mkvii has been there for a few years now.
Except the European version has the filter up top... Doesn't it?

I suspect this would be more trouble than it's worth. Once I do the first oil change on the car I'll have a better idea.

From pictures I've seen it doesn't look like a big deal to me. I don't care if I have to move a few hoses.

Having said that, a TDI without a top side oil filter is an abomination. But it sure drives nice!

drew1202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Is this oil change only a p.i.t.a. Because the filter is under the car? I have access to a lift at the hobby shop on base. Assuming I lift it up and have good access under the car will the oil change be easier?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Except the European version has the filter up top... Doesn't it?
I suspect this would be more trouble than it's worth. Once I do the first oil change on the car I'll have a better idea.
From pictures I've seen it doesn't look like a big deal to me. I don't care if I have to move a few hoses.
Having said that, a TDI without a top side oil filter is an abomination. But it sure drives nice!
I believe the two engines are pretty much the same as far as oil filter location goes:

As you can see the intake is taking up a good not of room on top.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I was almost positive that Europe has had the engine since at least 2013 or so...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe the two engines are pretty much the same as far as oil filter location goes:

As you can see the intake is taking up a good not of room on top.
Okay, I thought the Euro ones were on top because the study guide (Page 11 in document linked in previous post) for the EA288 motor shows this, labelled as "Oil Filter Module":

Later in the same document they show the oil filter module down below, so I guess they made some design changes along the way.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I saw that too and kinda figured the same thing. They may have had the oil filter in that orientation for simplicity sake of the picture itself...

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
I think that certain variations of the EA288 come with it on top, as this is a modular design, same as the MQB platform it is built on. Maybe the EA288 1.6 has it towards the top?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
page 2 lists common and add-on (attachment) parts.

could be engine variants with a different intake manifold/intercooler could use a different oil filter/cooler module.

the interface to the block includes coolant and oil, so a different design would be needed to have the filter remove from the top.

just guesses. the oil filter/cooler is not listed as an add-on part where they are broken out.

tdilifebegins

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI DSG (EA288) / 2004 Jetta TDI (BEW)
FYI I have just purchased a 2015 Jetta with the EA288. I pulled the belly pan off the other day to take a look at the oil filter / change. The belly pan is T25 and T45 to remove, and the oil filter cover was a 32MM. There is also a smaller hex head in the center of the oil filter cap that I didn't get the size of, but is going to be a standard metric socket. As for the difficulty of it, I didn't think it looked terrible. I feel like I will be able to undo one wire hanger and there was enough slack in that harness to move away to get the oil filter out.