A lesson learned

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
If you have decided that you want a car in the States and you want to go the wire transfer route, allow five business days from the time you tell the bank to wire the funds to the transfer company (in my case Oanda) to the time the wire transfer company sends the funds to the vendor. FIVE days to push a few lousy buttons!:mad: that is two+ days for the bank to earn their commission (that IS why they make billions in profits) and two+ days for Oanda to do the same. A few lousy buttons. Sheesh. Save a few headaches and spend a few dollars more.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Did you go thru the same site as the other guy? I'm tempted bc i can sell mine for around 15 and then put couple $$$ more and get the 2010 Jetta. I dont want 2011's yet bc i love my HID's and fogs :)

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
"The other guy" says yes :) From Dale from here.

That sucks Fred about the delay. Hope all the money is worked out in time.. I'm sure its added stress you didn't need.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well it sure did do that. That and the change in the exchange rate sucked back some dough as well. As for free maintenance to 36000 miles, I do intend taking them up on that. As we all know, high mileage users gobble up the warranty pretty fast. We shall just have to see; I am hoping for all of us that reliability will not be an issue. Like life, buying a car is a crap-shoot. Wish us 'new' car buyers luck! Cheers mateys!

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
If you have decided that you want a car in the States and you want to go the wire transfer route, allow five business days from the time you tell the bank to wire the funds to the transfer company (in my case Oanda) to the time the wire transfer company sends the funds to the vendor. FIVE days to push a few lousy buttons!:mad: that is two+ days for the bank to earn their commission (that IS why they make billions in profits) and two+ days for Oanda to do the same. A few lousy buttons. Sheesh. Save a few headaches and spend a few dollars more.
I had a similar experience after I sent a wire transfer via the BOM. The seller was able to confirm with his major US bank that the transfer had arrived on the same day it was sent but his bank wanted to wait for it to clear?????

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a similar experience after I sent a wire transfer via the BOM. The seller was able to confirm with his major US bank that the transfer had arrived on the same day it was sent but his bank wanted to wait for it to clear?????
that is ironic! I phoned OANDA last Friday (put me in a panic) as they said not till today (Tuesday) and trhe vendor e-mailed Friday at 5PM to inform me that wire had arrived!

I now have the car and would like to say that the wire transfer route, if set up WAY in advance, is a good idea but a gamble when playing the exchange rate game.

stress is sometimes good but not then. another lesson is the US clearing office closes at 4 PM and they do not like it when you walk in at 350!

I really would have like to have crossed at Derby Line or Ogdensburg but they want the papers there 72 hours in advance. Lewiston is the only one that will allow the use of fax or e-mail of copies.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
You can get a bank draft in US$ made out to the company in question and expresspost/purolater/fedex it faster.