1996 Passat B4 1z EGR Nonfunctioning .. replacement?

Mizamook

TDI
1Z (1996 Passat) in 87 Vanagon
Hello,

I think I may have broken it, and/or it was broken before .. .sadly, I'm not sure.

Removed my intake to check/clean, since I have so much other stuff apart, and to my chagrin, I found I did not need to, but then I cleaned it anyway.

Since this is a 1996, the EGR is integral to the intake.

The EGR valve does not do anything if I apply vacuum. THe vacuum diaphragm is definitely shot.

It is possible that it worked before, but I was fairly clumsy with the compressed air during the last bout of cleaning and I'm fairly sure I should not have directed compressed air into the weep hole (whatever that is for)

Cannot seem to source an intake.

Not sure I really want to delete the EGR. I live in Alaska, but I really do want a clean non-noxious vehicle.

Do I have any options at this point? Or do I just make a blockoff and run it?

Thanks!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
sourcing a new intake (or even one with a known good EGR) is not easy. when i looked (2-3 years ago now) new manifolds could be had... for $300+.

cheapest fix is to block it off and motor on. you can turn down the EGR with VCDS to get rid of or at least lessen the frequency of check engine light due to EGR codes.

getting an EGR from an ALH engine to work may be possible but its gonna involve some aluminum welding. either grafting the EGR flange onto your current manifold or flipping the inlet direction of the ALH manifold... and then figuring out how to make the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR fit.

so it can be done - if you had emission testing and absolutely needed to do it... but im gonna vote on spending $50 to block it off, instead of a few hundred to make it work again.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a clean used AHU manifold with a functioning EGR I can sell if you're interested.

Mizamook

TDI
OK .. this is one of those forums where you have to remember to copy your response before clicking Post because "the token has expired" and 10 minutes of typing goes POOF!

Anyway, short version:

OK, thank you both for response, and Windex, please let me know if the AHU intake is direct fit or does it require EGR cooler?

Due to being "late in the game" I'm likely going to just block it with an aluminum plate and extra gasket, blocking off the vacuum. Afraid of hit in mileage around town. (Vanagon camper got 30 around town as well as on trips, average)

Engine is at 50 degree slant in there .. very little room to work so I'm leery of mods: There is certainly NO room for any additional piping!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
intake manifold is the same, its just the piping from exhaust manifold to EGR that differs between the 1Z without the cooler and AHU with cooler

Mizamook

TDI
So does that mean the AHU manifold with EGR would bolt directly to that piping?

Also: Simply blocking off the EGR does not interfere with crankcase ventilation,
does it?

I'm about to go put this thing back on (first step in reassembly after weeks of downtime) Wifey would like to hear some good news for once ...

I'm considering buying the offered AHU intake for later installation.

Thanks!

intake manifold is the same, its just the piping from exhaust manifold to EGR that differs between the 1Z without the cooler and AHU with cooler

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
So does that mean the AHU manifold with EGR would bolt directly to that piping?

Also: Simply blocking off the EGR does not interfere with crankcase ventilation,
does it?

I'm about to go put this thing back on (first step in reassembly after weeks of downtime) Wifey would like to hear some good news for once ...

I'm considering buying the offered AHU intake for later installation.

Thanks!
yes, it will bolt right up

no, blocking the EGR will not effect crank case ventilation.

Mizamook

TDI
I've finally found a pm form Windex .. I'll purchase his intake, but likely delay using it.

Rand the Vanagon today (nothing like a test run with a picnic at the end!) and can report success .. also had just replaced CV joints right side, timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, etc. At startup things were stinky .. .found an error code from before (when I failed to connect the N109 valve!!!) but after a bit of running all was well.

VAGCOM reports slightly advanced timing, my IQ is now 3.2 mg/stroke, and the thing just jumps off the road, EGT's seem pretty low, can pull the nearlby hill in 4th, and we'll have to see ...

Now .. for the Heli-coil that apparently broke when I changed the oil ... now JB-welded back in place ... that's another story ...

Appreciate the input and help!