1Z TDI into 1982 Diesel Vanagon

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
After 3 years of lurking, slowing collecting parts, and dreaming of travelling the country in my own vanagon, I have finally begun the process of building my very own TDI Vanagon!

My love for the TDI came to when I bought my first TDI car, a 1996 Passat TDI, on eBay. I was driving 70 mi a day, I wanted some pep but good fuel economy, and I wanted to spend under 4k. With the power of a few beers I gained the confidence to place a winning bid on my first TDI. Took a bus to Tennessee, picked her up and I fell in love. So much so that 3 years later I bought another!

The white on being my first and the green one being my now daily driver as the white TDI will live on in the Vangon. (White: bought @119k, now 133k, Green: bought @ 121k, now 137k)

Ah yes the Vanagon!

I first saw one of these in person hiking around 2012. Myself being only 23, I didn't grow up seeing these vans and now there isn't many up in New England. I balked at prices I saw on decent Vanagons online. So I decided to find one I could afford and fix it up myself. And with my recent new found love of the TDI engine I figured why not have my cake and eat it too. The TDI would be perfect for long distance Vanagon travel. So I bought me a 1982 Diesel Vanagon that someone converted to a 4 cyl gas that didn't run. It was from New Mexico so rust was minimal, and it didn't run, so it was affordable.

Here you can see me driving it under the power of two reluctant friends and the motivation of a barking dog.

The van was shipped up to upstate New York where I was stationed in the Army, and sat around at various friends houses. Slowly I collected more and more parts. A deployment to Afghanistan in 2015-2016 put the project on hold, but gave me the funds to pursue it further. By Summer 2016 I had bought my green Passat TDI, it was now my daily driver, and I was ready to begin the tear down of my white Passat. I had done a TDI timing belt before so naturally I felt invincible and knew everything about my rather rare vehicle and all the modern electrical madness that came with it.

Last edited:

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat

Ready to be torn down

Lots and lots of labeling

And shes out!

And the quintessential "Sitting in my now empty engine bay" picture

Fishing out all the wiring trying to cut as little as possible

The fruits of my labor

Last edited:

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Now I had my engine on a stand ready to prep and clean.

Before

Fresh Timing Belt

Rear of engine before block painting. old Exhaust manifold removed for a AAZ manifold that will angle the turbo at a better angle.

My new accessory belt set up. Used a kit from S-pautomotive.com that allowed me to run the water pump off the ribbed belt. Pulley is smooth and it contact with ribbed side of belt but I'm not too worried. Ac has been deleted along with power steering since I have a manual rack.

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
So onto the next stage of my life, moving back to my homeland of New Hampshire! I will finally have my van in my own garage and I can work on it whenever I please.

Convoy back to NH

The van in its new home in my new garage

Next step is to do some much needed cleaning on the van. Some mice decided to call my van their home so I had to do some serious vacuuming. I also ripped up the old carpet in the back seat.

After a solid clean it was time to pull the gas 4 cyl that was put in place of the original diesel

And now to harvest all the diesel specific parts that I'll need for my TDI

Oil pan, Diesel tranny for the bell housing, carrier bars, oil pick up tube, and diesel mounts removed and to be cleaned.

So this is where I stand for this project. I have a 1Z TDI with all its wiring almost ready to be put into my van that does not currently have an engine in it. Some other areas I will need to work on:

- Tranny: I have a DK code Air Cooled transmission I ne4ed to have rebuild with taller 3rd and 4th gears. I have an input shaft from ha-projekt.de that will take tdi clutch disks. Need to purchase clutch, flywheel, pressure plate stuff.
- Dash: Gauge cluster will be out of my 1996 Passat. will have to figure out fuel level and speed signal
- Turbo: Inter cooler setup and oil draining from turbo.
- Wiring: I have almost all of the wiring from the white Passat. Hoping to leave it as much in tact as possible. This is defiantly not an area I'm strong in.

Plus a bunch of other small things with my van: Windshield is cracked, clutch wasn't working before engine removal, ect.

So this brings us to the present.I'm pretty excited to really get into full swing with this project finally. Its taken a bit to get to this point. I might be biting off a bit more than I can chew not having the experience some other on this forum have with TDIs and Vws in general, but I'm willing to learn as I go. A special thanks to all that post to these forums on their conversions especially AndyBees, jjordan11, and all the others with TDI vans who have spread their knowledge of their conversions for others to learn. You guys really have given me the confidence to pursue this. More to follow on current work on my conversion as it happens in real time now. Hope you all enjoy:)

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Took advantage of the beautiful election day weather to do some cleaning and painting of the diesel Vanagon parts that I will transfer to the TDI

Nice and shiny!

Mounted the diesel vanagon engine mount brackets to the TDI block. Looks good. Just need to modify a coolant hose from the water pump as the bracket is now in the way

Then I removed the 1Z oil pan, removd the TDI oil pick up, and transfered over the diesel Vanagon one

Old pick up with plastic baffle

Side by side of TDI oil pump and Diesel Vanagon Pump

DV oil pick up mounted on TDI

Next up will be mounting the DV oil pan with a fresh gasket and finishing the painting of the carrier bars. Will need to look into some hydraulic mounting options as other have done since the old mounts are in pretty rough shape

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Wow, those are some low mileage B4s. Any reason you wanted to take the white one apart, rather than buy a wrecked donor?

-Todd

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Todd,

I chose to take apart my white Passat because the interior and suspension on it was rather dismal. The engine itself was young and worked fine. I figured might as well take apart a car that I had driven daily for a while and had a working harness attached that I knew worked. Plus it was a pretty young TDI and I figured that would be optimal for the conversion. I found a better interior and suspension with the same age engine (which I lucked out with) with my green Passat

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i would do some reading on swapping the 1.6 pickup tube to the 36mm gear pump... it seems i remember reading posts about the 1.6 pickup having the incorrect pressure relief valve and causing lifter overpump and valve contact or at least no start due to lifter overpump... i have a 1Z in my westy and sourced a new euro turbo diesel t3 pump for my swap ... message libbybapa here on the forums i think he may have discovered this issue

Last edited:

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
thanks for the tip jimbote. Ill have to source a vanagon turbo diesel oil pump. Just discovered the company Brickwerks in England and thought I had discovered a TDI convrsion gold mine! Then to find out they don't ship to the US....

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Lots and lots of labeling
Hope you also remember you can go to your green Passat and pop the hood as a reference for what goes where. Most people doing one of these conversions don't have two identical TDI's - one donor, one reference daily driver - on hand. In that regard you are fortunate even though there is much to figure out/source.

Thanks for your service and good luck with the conversion which looks like it is off to a strong start!

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat

Thanks for your support! And yes it sure is nice to have a reference car. Also now I have some spare parts for my green Passat that I'm not using in the conversion

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat

Yea I was able to order one from VW Heritage Parts out of England with a few other goodies. Even with shipping from England it was cheaper than ones in the US

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Thank you for your service! Especially today ;).

Some ideas to consider:

1. What gears are you going to rebuild that DK with, exactly (AA Transaxle)? The transmission is an integral part of this conversion, and needs a solid plan. Suggestion: look into all the options, and consider cost, ease of installation, and future maintenance.

2. Is your van a true 1982? Does it have a radiator opening in the front? Only a little more work to get radiator stuff, but I'd like to know!

3. For ease of installation you might consider leaving the original instrument cluster alone. You can just keep the power line to the existing cluster, and then run everything else to the ecu. That way, you have a speedo, gas gauge, and temp sensor-- you can keep an eye on, and check everything else through VCDS, and real-time with a Scangauge.
Anyway... Retaining the existing instrument cluster will save you a considerable amount of wiring. Dialing in everything else, and not having to worry about instrument cluster wiring stuff, is worth something. Once everything else is up and running, you can always run all those wires later.
Just an idea.

4. Wheels, Tires, and a Tune.
Getting better tires with bigger wheels is a good idea. It doesn't make a huge difference in gearing and fuel economy, but the functional difference driving down the road is noticeable, and worth it.
The 1Z engine in it's stock form is inadequate for a Vanagaon. It's a perfectly competent and long lasting engine, but a b4(v) does not weigh 5,000 lbs. And a b4 is not shaped like a brick. The Ahu is easy to modify to get more power (11mm Fuel pump, Bigger/Better injectors, Hybrid turbo, Malone tune, Etc...)... Get more power from it so it compliments the vanagon. Power parts are cheap these days: Take advantage of it!

And that's it. Looking forward to seeing updates and reading through the progress!

Andrew

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I did a similar swap of a 2.0 out of a 98 Golf into my 81 Westy and then into my 86 Vanagon. I used the necessary parts from a diesel Vanagon.

If I were to do it again, I would go TDI for the power. I find the 2.0 does okay but the torque from the TDI would help move the big box along a bit better.

The 86 Transmission works well with the 2.0 but may be a bit low geared for the diesel's power band and rpm. I think there is a gearing (ring and pinion) change that can be bought if need be.

If the van was already plumbed for the gas swap, the radiator and piping should already be intact. When I put the 2.0 into my 81, I ran piping, a radiator and heater core into the air cooled model. It seems that VW made the Vanagon with the water cooled plans for the future so the mounting holes and fitment of the water cooled parts was easier than starting from scratch.

I tried to make the Vanagon cluster work but it was too old and the connections were so brittle. I ended making a completely new cluster with Autometer gauges and tapped into the ECU for some signals and other were pulled from the van's sending units. I had to make a connection between the speedometer cable at the front wheel to the 98 VW speed sensor and then to the electric speedo. Works great and is calibrated to the size of the tires.

I went to Small Car Performance for a big brake setup on the front. And found some nice 18" OZ wheels and tires along with an H&R lowering spring kit and Koni shocks.

We put a weekender back seat in and can use it as a bed. We used the van for short camping trips and some bombing around town but it has been parked for a while now as we have little time and too many cars to insure.

I look forward to seeing your progress and hopefully we can be a resource for you as you plow into this adventure. I am sure that many of the questions you come up with have been asked before with some actual answers as well.

Last edited:

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Thank you for your service! Especially today ;).
Some ideas to consider:
1. What gears are you going to rebuild that DK with, exactly (AA Transaxle)? The transmission is an integral part of this conversion, and needs a solid plan. Suggestion: look into all the options, and consider cost, ease of installation, and future maintenance.

2. Is your van a true 1982? Does it have a radiator opening in the front? Only a little more work to get radiator stuff, but I'd like to know!

3. For ease of installation you might consider leaving the original instrument cluster alone. You can just keep the power line to the existing cluster, and then run everything else to the ecu. That way, you have a speedo, gas gauge, and temp sensor-- you can keep an eye on, and check everything else through VCDS, and real-time with a Scangauge.

Anyway... Retaining the existing instrument cluster will save you a considerable amount of wiring. Dialing in everything else, and not having to worry about instrument cluster wiring stuff, is worth something. Once everything else is up and running, you can always run all those wires later.
Just an idea.

4. Wheels, Tires, and a Tune.
Getting better tires with bigger wheels is a good idea. It doesn't make a huge difference in gearing and fuel economy, but the functional difference driving down the road is noticeable, and worth it.
The 1Z engine in it's stock form is inadequate for a Vanagaon. It's a perfectly competent and long lasting engine, but a b4(v) does not weigh 5,000 lbs. And a b4 is not shaped like a brick. The Ahu is easy to modify to get more power (11mm Fuel pump, Bigger/Better injectors, Hybrid turbo, Malone tune, Etc...)... Get more power from it so it compliments the vanagon. Power parts are cheap these days: Take advantage of it!
And that's it. Looking forward to seeing updates and reading through the progress!
Andrew
1: Looking to get my DK transmission from an aircooled van rebuilt and regeared. I did actually look into AA Transaxle. Im thinking 1.13 3rd and .73 4th

2: Van is a true 1982 Diesel Vanagon. It has a radiator. So it was the first watercooled system ever in a Vanagon since the only other option for this year was aircooled.

3: Instrument cluster I'm going to consider just leaving old cluster but the TDI ecu needs a speed setting anyways and if I figure out a way to get a speed signal then I might as well just use the Passat cluster. Also I want cruise control. I have it all wired anyways as I took everything intact from the Passat. Speed will have to be figured out and the fuel.

4: Wheels will definitely be bigger. For power upgrade I had a set of .205 Bosio Sprint 520s. Should give it a bit of a hp and torque boost. Also will need to get an ECU from a 97 Passat as my ecu is pretty untunable. I'll then be able to tune it a bit.
Glad you like the thread and are looking forward to see the progress. I am myself!

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
So after traveling all the way from England I now have a Vanagon turbo oil pump with the right shaft but it still has 30mm gears instead of 36 mm

Website said oem part number would be 068 115 105 BP, obviously this is not the case. Its a Topran brand pump. So although the bypass valve will be the right size for the pump's gears and this pump fits my engine, I don't like that I'd have a less powerful pump with the same size engine. Don't want to skimp on something as important as oil. I now bought a Febi brand oil pump with the same OEM part number and hopefully this one will have 36mm gears.

Soon to arrive will be my new turbo and my air to water intercoler.

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
This week I finally revived the right oil pump for the conversion with larger gears. I mounted the pump and dry fitted the oil pan with its gasket.I then threw on a cheap filter and filled it with cheap oil. I'm trying to figure out how accurate this dip stick is because normally the 1982 Diesel engine would have the dipstick into the fill tube from the pan. When my car was converted to gas the dipstick was fitted to the block like my TDI engine is. So I just switched the dip stick tube to fit my block also

New Pump and dip stick tube

Pan on with filter and filled with oil. You can see the routing of the dipstick tube to be reached via licence plate. Filling the engine to around 4.2ish liters of oil reached the top mark on the dipstick so this dipsticks seems to be pretty good. Haven't done an official draining measurement.

Also this week I received my new K03 turbo. Originally this engine had a Garrett turbo but the K03 is interchangeable. I had actually broken my old turbo when I tried to clock it to the right position for the Vanagon. Oh well, now I have a nice new one

Shiny and new

This is how I will be mounting the turbo onto the manifold. Manifold is from an AAZ engine. If the turbo was bolted on directly to this manifold it would hit the engine mount. To fix this I will be mounting the turbo upside-down with the help of a custom flange.

Flange will end up looking something like this

And my flange so far

Also added some fittings for the oil feed line. I have some for the eventual drain too on the oil pan but I haven't drilled into the pan yet. I'm waiting to the turbo to actually be mounted and for my steel braided lines to come in

And last but not lease I also got my Air to water intercooler in the mail. She will be mounted in the driver side D-pillar. I still need a pump, piping, and a radiator but that will come later

Last edited:

foxfour

TDI
ahu/1z Vanagon
In these photos of "sunny's conversion," is a picture of the turbo drain going into the block, rather than the oil pan. The engine is an alh, not a 1z, so there may be some small differences in the drain location: http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/

I plan to perform an mtdi conversion for my westy with a 1z that's sitting in my garage with some of the necessary parts for the conversion attached, oil pan, aaz turbo, exhaust system, both left and right motor mount brackets and more. I haven't figured out how to post photos here yet.

Joe (foxfour)

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
This build is not dead!

I have just been very busy with school and work this winter to post on this thread. I have been doing a few odds and ends on the van, however. Also with summer coming the progress is sure to speed up. Hoping to have this baby running by fall!

Here's some things I've managed to get done this winter:

Custom polyurethane bushings for the engine carrier bars to replace the old NLA ones.

Olld diesel radiator and a new WBX radiator. Also bought the WBX mounts and fan shroud to replace all the NLA diesel radiator components

Mmmm 30 year old coolant

TDI fan mounted in vanagon fan shroud. Wanted to keep the TDI fan for simplicity in wiring. Mounting was done by cutting out part of the TDI fan frame and bolting that piece on the vanagon shroud. Not pretty but it works and is solid. Also had to trim the fan blades a bit too

Also bought me a nice new fuel tank

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat

Here is the beginning of my cluser build. Using the 1996 TDI original cluster mounted within the vanagon frame. Just had to do a bit of plastic trimming. Will also be mounting a boost gauge, EGT gauge, and oil pressure gauge somewhere, just still figuring out placement. I'm suprised how good it actually fits. Only problem in the cluster now comes in contact with brake fluid resivoir. Will need to figure that out now...

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Also have embarked on referbishing the entire rear suspension and brake system

All removed. Will be replacing springs with some gowesty lift springs I think. The bilstiens that came on the van are still good, so hey, gonna keep them for now.

Fresh por15 and some undercoating on these parts

Time to put some new bearing in

More rear suspension and brake referbishing pictures tomorrow. For some reason I lost a ton of pictures on my phone including many more pictures of things I have been doing to the engine, turbo, intercooler, airbox, and other custom systems. I'll retake them tomorrow and upload.

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Here is the backs of my engine with the turbo mounted with no clearance issues. Using the spacer on the manifold the turbo is flipped around and does not hit the stock 82 diesel engine mounting arms.

I'm using the TDI plastic intake to turbo piping as the CCV connects to it. That coil of wire on the mounting arm is for the EGT gauge which is tapped into the manifold

Replaced intake with a p130/150 manifold with racepipe. EGT is eliminated. Silicone hoses will connect to water to air intercooler in driverside d pillar

Here you can see my custom steel braided oil feed line to the turbo

Here is the oild return line that goes into the stock 1Z hole on the block. I used a banjo bolt at the block and there is a bit up uphill at that point, but not much. This is the most downhill I could achieve in this set up short of tapping the oil pan. I think it will do well enough

Here is my water to air intercooler set up. Pump will be mounted underneath. Heater hose will be run up to the front to a heat exchanger I have yet to purchase

Here is my custom air box. Inside is a cylindrical filter that I just picked off the shelf at autozone for its fitment on the MAF sensor. The MAF sticks into the box holding the filter and elastic bands hold the plastic container together snug enough. Pipe in the back will go up the passenger D pillar to the 82 diesel stock snorkel

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Below is a picture of the completed rear end. New everything: drums, shoes, bearings, brake cables, steel brake lines, trailing arm bushings, and GoWesty springs. Nice and new and shiny. Struts are the only thing kept as they were bilsteins and passed the pop test. GoWesty''s trailing arm bushing removal tool is really great. Made bushing replacement an ease without a press, which it never is..

Here is the first half of my exhaust that I had my buddy weld up. Not the prettiest but it's fuctional and I think it actually turned out pretty sweet. The only thing left it needs is another bend to run along the rear of the van and a muffler. No cat I think a flex pipe and muffler should be fine. No need for emissions before 1997 in nh for diesel light-duty vehicles!

First picture is just the rough shape. Ended up using an actual exhaust piece for the first bend and not piping like is displayed

All bolted up! Very happy it all stayed lined up for the welds

Last edited:

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Pushed the van out of the garage for the start of some extensive undercarriage cleaning and refurbishing. Van is nice and light with no engine in it I can move it all by myself. Began the removal of the the under bits so I can give her some new undercoating and some por15 coverage on the rusty parts. OEM undercoating is dry and flaking off to the touch everywhere

Removal of the old gas tank

Here's the new one All painted a nice gray

And here's the stock Espar auxiliary heater. I think it's so cool this was an option back in the day. I really hope to get this one working again and have a nice toasty cabin. Hopefully I can find some parts. Some of the rubber and electronics are pretty beat up

And here are the metal coolant l lines that run the length of the van. These were a ***** to fish out of the frame. They are in good condition so I think I'll just run some cleaner through them por15 the outside, and slap em back in. Stainless steel lines would be nice but I am not a rich man. Also this picture shows the lift with the GoWesty 1.5 inch springs right now. The little stock wheels look comical. However, I will be upgrading the wheels and the van will sink with the engine in place

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The inside of the metal coolant pipes on my 84 Vanagon looked fine. So, I just sanded them off and applied several coats of engine paint. They're holding up pretty good. Also, the Jetta rubber radiator hoses (custom cut) fit well with my ALH set-up!

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
What are thoughts of a Subaru trans to a 1z instead of the vanagon trans? Better/ worse any downsides to trying that?im still researching different avenues before starting a 1z swap to my 82 vanagon. I don't know how much hp the stock vanagon tranny can handle, 90 is almost doublethink what it was designed for, and if I add any mild hp later on will it be able to handle this?

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
What are thoughts of a Subaru trans to a 1z instead of the vanagon trans? Better/ worse any downsides to trying that?im still researching different avenues before starting a 1z swap to my 82 vanagon. I don't know how much hp the stock vanagon tranny can handle, 90 is almost doublethink what it was designed for, and if I add any mild hp later on will it be able to handle this?
I have heard of people making subaru transmissions work but I didn't want to get too involved in making a different transmission work and I didn't investigate much. My transmission is actually at Rancho Transaxle in CA right now. They do a bunch of VW transmission work for all sorts of custom bugs and such so I'm pretty confident in their rebuilt abilities. It is essentially doubling the tourque from about 88 ft lbs to around 160 ft lbs with the tdi I'm running with a mild tune. I supposed I'm just in the hands of the rebuild and the experiences of others. The route I took seems to be the most popular transmission set up and the easiest so I went with it. It seems that the transmission has held for some and failed for a couple. Only time will tell I guess.

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
While I await my transmission to get back from being rebuilt in California, I have tackled a few things.

First, I decided on a better more factory looking air box and so I modified a later Vanagon box to work with my MAF. Involved cutting out the square outlet and replacing it with a PVC elbow. Fits nicely in the right side pillar

Also installed an oil pan baffle. Not too familiar with these, don't really know how much this will change anything performance wise but I've heard good things and it was only 50 bucks so. Needed to remove the oil pump to install but fits even with the dv oil pump

Here is my LUK dual mass flywheel, clutch, pressure plate set up mounted on the TDI. I've heard good things about this clutch setup and I wouldn't mind the quietness and lightness of the DMF setup. My 96 tdi daily driver is pretty loud and rattley at idle. This setup also comes pre assembled and you can just reach the flywheel bolts through the pressure plate. Also replaced rear main seal behind it (not fun, broke one in the process, really hope it doest leak). Using the stock tdi dust shield as the DV one doesn't fit.

And here is timing belt mark I made on the new flywheel. What I did was I put the the stock 96 transmission on the engine, aligned the flywheel with that transmissions marker at TDC, removed the transmission, put the DV bellhousing on, and then marked where that marker hit. Used a thin saw blade then filled with yellow paint. Overall went smoothly. In 60,000 miles we will find out if I was true haha

And here is the last thing I did which was mount the heat exchanger for my water to air intercooler setup. Fits nicely in the empty space up front between the passenger light and the fresh air grill

Curgently working on modifying the DV bellhousing to fit over my clutch setup and also prepping my 2002 passat rims to fit my vanagon. Picked up my 215/75/15 firestone a/t tires at tirerack last week!

Last edited: