Another hitch Question

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I am looking to install a hitch on our GSW for a bike rack.. I see that they recomend using "stabilizing straps" to keep the rack steady. I have a heavy rack(thule T2) and sometimes have 2 downhill bikes on it. Their rational is to stop the rack from swaying. this rack threads into the receiver and is rock solid. I used this rack on a 15 fusion hybrid with no issues though the mounting was more traditional and IMO handles the torque the static load puts on it better than the style of mounting i see on these racks that mount across the rear bumper supports.

thoughts? experiences?

thanks,

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I installed a 2" ecohitch on my 2015 GSW last weekend for the same reason. I am using a thule T2 pro on mine. The locking mechanism on the rack keeps it from moving. It's very stable on mine with zero need for any straps. It did sway a bit before I screwed down the lock, but was rock solid afterwards. I have taken my bike a few places now, including some highway miles at 70+ with zero issues and no extra straps other than the locking cable that comes with the rack. I am very happy with this setup.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
If you go to the etrailer site, I believe only the Curt hitch recommends the stabilizing straps. I went with the Draw Tite hitch, per etrailer's recommendation.

I installed it myself, took me a few hours at night, instructions were pretty good. I had to trim the plastic beneath the bottom (the measurements on the Drawtite instructions were spot on).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
What part # was the DrawTite hitch? What about wiring harness? I just bought a hitch and harness(plug-n-play) for the '16 sedan, so I already returned harness and taking a hit on the hitch shipping it back. I haven't seen a plug-n-play harness for the GSW,just the hatchback and 4dr.....

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
What part # was the DrawTite hitch? What about wiring harness? I just bought a hitch and harness(plug-n-play) for the '16 sedan, so I already returned harness and taking a hit on the hitch shipping it back. I haven't seen a plug-n-play harness for the GSW,just the hatchback and 4dr.....
Installed
Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"
Item # 24949 took about an hour. $100.18 free shipping from etrailer.com

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
the straps are meant to relieve weight on the hitch, some hitches on other cars use the tow loop as an anchor very unsavory engineering. but still not a bad idea in the long run if you can put up with it, i would use one for long trips maybe...