Another new 2015 question

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
Just got home from the dealer. I purchased a white Golf SEL. Got $1600 off the sticker plus the 5K from VW and the 0% for 72 months and traded in my Gti and got more then I wanted.. So i can't complain.. Just a little nervous about how the MPG will drop with the software update.. Does anyone have real MPG data on a recently purchased car with software update? I was getting and average 24 mpg in my 2012 Gti. I know its gonna be better then that. Just hoping I get 40's on HWY... The SEL is really nice.. went in to get an S but was a major downgrade from the gti interior (mostly the seats) This feels like a Gti with a Diesel! BTW this is my first diesel after have 30 gas powered VW's.... Hope the car sitting for 2 years is not an issue.. Its in the shop now getting the update and all the other things ( tires, brake fluid change, battery ect) Been lurking on this site for years now was the time to get one....

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
Just got home from the dealer. I purchased a white Golf SEL. Got $1600 off the sticker plus the 5K from VW and the 0% for 72 months and traded in my Gti and got more then I wanted.. So i can't complain.. Just a little nervous about how the MPG will drop with the software update.. Does anyone have real MPG data on a recently purchased car with software update? I was getting and average 24 mpg in my 2012 Gti. I know its gonna be better then that. Just hoping I get 40's on HWY... The SEL is really nice.. went in to get an S but was a major downgrade from the gti interior (mostly the seats) This feels like a Gti with a Diesel! BTW this is my first diesel after have 30 gas powered VW's.... Hope the car sitting for 2 years is not an issue.. Its in the shop now getting the update and all the other things ( tires, brake fluid change, battery ect) Been lurking on this site for years now was the time to get one....
Search is your friend..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476157

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
As a point of reference I commute 70 miles each way to work. It's mixed driving with more stop and go than highway. According to the dash (not perfect I know) I'm getting 48-51 mpg each way. If that's not good enough you probably picked the wrong car. I haven't even hit 1000 miles yet so it may get better!

xabjw4

TDI
2015 Golf SW S TDI
I just bought from dealer in Staunton, VA a new, leftover 2015 VW Golf SW 2.0L EA288 TDI S model built in April 2015. It was $26,835 sticker with $5,000 off the top and 72-months at 0% financing through VW. Its the DSG automatic and I put 750 miles on it already with some break-in sprints around the mountains here. The computer and a fill-up and a half show its getting about 44 mpg overall. Seems much more powerful and spirited than my 2006 Golf manual 1.9L TDI and I am happy overall currently with the purchase. The paperwork showed it had the new approved flash, new battery and oil w/ filter change and brake fluid flush. Seems to be what it should be. That's all I know about it currently.:D

RichF

TDI
Thanks for the Replies.. are you figuring mileage the right way by filling up and doing the math or going by the computer .. That computer on my gti is off by 3pmg on the overall.. so I will be happy with anything over 40mpg basically the the fuel savings will cover my monthly payment ..

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I encourage everyone to use Fuelly. It's easy and nice to track patterns and times of year differences. Fwiw I don't drive gentle and have rarely gotten a tank below 40. Lifetime average of 2 years is 41.x.

E.E.

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Got about 150 miles so far on my 2015 GSW. (picked it up yesterday) Computer has been reading 48-50, this mainly on rural back roads. Pretty hilly around here too.

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
I mathed out the last tank and it was 44mpg. I love having torque and mpgs. It's awesome...so far ;)

Last edited:

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
i got 39mpg mixed county driving after the Phase 1 Emissions Modification - i have a lead foot

we're fortunate to have such great vehicles, and like others here, hope to drive ours until we see new TDIs on the market

(there is *no way* that electric vehicles will replace the ICE in 15 years - sorry, ain't gonna happen)

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

Last edited:

RichF

TDI
Thanks for the Replies.. are you figuring mileage the right way by filling up and doing the math or going by the computer .. That computer on my gti is off by 3pmg on the overall.. so I will be happy with anything over 40mpg basically the the fuel savings will cover my monthly payment ..
UPDATE

I bailed on the deal.. Could not bring myself to get a DSG. Unless I find a Manual SEL which is gonna be near impossible I will be keepeing my beloved GTi. If anyone knows of any Manual SEL let me know... Thanks...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
UPDATE

I bailed on the deal.. Could not bring myself to get a DSG. Unless I find a Manual SEL which is gonna be near impossible I will be keepeing my beloved GTi. If anyone knows of any Manual SEL let me know... Thanks...
The 2015 TDI I just bought is the FIRST automatic I have ever owned. I'm 42 and every car has been a manual. The DSG is the only auto I can endure on a sporty ride. It's that good.

My wife has been driving a JSW TDI with DSG since 2012. I really love the transmission in that car. She's also a lifelong manual driver.

I really enjoy carving twisties with the paddle shifters and quick DSG shifts. I'm not a heal/toe guy. It never felt natural to me.

RichF

TDI
The 2015 TDI I just bought is the FIRST automatic I have ever owned. I'm 42 and every car has been a manual. The DSG is the only auto I can endure on a sporty ride. It's that good.

My wife has been driving a JSW TDI with DSG since 2012. I really love the transmission in that car. She's also a lifelong manual driver.

I really enjoy carving twisties with the paddle shifters and quick DSG shifts. I'm not a heal/toe guy. It never felt natural to me.
Yes but zero vw autos ever last the test of time , I wanted the diesel to keep for a long time, the dsg is fine but no way are gonna last like a Manual , kinda defeats the purpose of getting a diesel, unless you don't care it's a fortune to replace it fix down the road..

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Yes but zero vw autos ever last the test of time , I wanted the diesel to keep for a long time, the dsg is fine but no way are gonna last like a Manual , kinda defeats the purpose of getting a diesel, unless you don't care it's a fortune to replace it fix down the road..
The DMF is the biggest issue and 200K miles is possible. I typically put 15K on per year so I might get lucky. I hope to get 10 years out of the car with no drivetrain issues. There's risk, but I feel good about it.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
I was in your same boat only manuals then a bought a new 2014 DSG SEL Passat. After a few months I loved it it's a great tranny. Put 70k on it before the buyback and no issues at all

RichF

TDI
I was in your same boat only manuals then a bought a new 2014 DSG SEL Passat. After a few months I loved it it's a great tranny. Put 70k on it before the buyback and no issues at all
70k is nothing , im talking over 100k and beyond. That's when the problems occur.. BUT have seen many fail way before that .. just not something you want to repair out of warranty which is after 60k miles

RichF

TDI
70k is nothing , im talking over 100k and beyond. That's when the problems occur.. BUT have seen many fail way before that .. just not something you want to repair out of warranty which is after 60k miles
Found an S manual GSW.. would rather sacrifice and step down to S trim to get the manual... plus saving almost 6k.. I'll post her up when I get her. Planning a trip from NY to California with my son this summer and this will be the perfect car! Liking the extra room on the GSW over the golf..

RichF

TDI
At open road vw in Manhatten as we speak 2 Manual sportwagens left in white.. buying one now ... waiting for them to bring it down elevator lol.. Place is impressive