6-speed New OEM DRW Transmission ($2000+ off)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Nickstdi - Lets walk thru some numbers and see how long it takes to recoup $3000. To make it easy we will use $4.00 per gallon for diesel fuel.
When I went to a .622 5th gear on my B4V, I got a two mpg improvement.

Again, to make the math easy, lets assume 40 mpg to 42 mpg.

At $4.00/gal 40 mpg equals 10 cents per mile and at 42 mpg equals 9.53234 cents per mile. To make it easy again, we will say the savings are one half a cent per mile. So $3000.00 /.005 = 600,000 miles to save the cost.

Do the conversion because you want to. But don't fool yourself that you are doing it to save money!!!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
My reasons for doing them is that on 2 of my cars it was to ditch the automatic transmission. Resulting mpg increase was 8 mpg. My other 2 cars were 5 speeds. Reason I did those is that traveling at 75, a gear is missing. I put in a taller 5th in one of the 5 speeds but then there is still a gear missing driving up those steep grades in the mountains.
Besides, I wanted them and doing them was a challenge and fun.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Okay, call me retarded or crazy :) I've looked and I am not seeing anyone that's putting this 02M into a Mk3/B4 cars....what would have to be done for this?! I have found a used 02M and BKD that I'm getting from Europe and was planning to put into a Corrado that is running a 1Z with the Mk3 K-frame.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Okay, call me retarded or crazy :)
Don't give me ideas! ;)

I may be wrong, or somewhat inaccurate...

Fundamentally, the mounts are different. I would also bet the bolt pattern on the differential housing is different enough that the A3/B4 bracket wouldn't work.

Then, I think the physical size of the trans is also different and would have fitment issues inside the engine bay.

The shifter cables and shifter box in the cabin would have to be changed. That might actually be the easiest part of the swap.

Tony

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I saw one for sale in the for sale section too that was out of an MK3. It has special mounts and altered axles to make it work. I think it is a DRW code 02M.

TDI
06 Jetta MK5 5 Speed TDI
How much is a rebuilt 5 speed now??? Not too sure the synchros in 1st and 2nd gear just deecided to take a vacation...hoping its a linkage issue but I doubt it..someone help please. Thanks

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
Good night, I know this is a bit dead, but this topic keeps being reffered, so I hope I'm not upsetting OP or any mod with my questions, if so, just say and I delete my post and create a standalone post.

I can't find any reliable distributor for the 1 1J0 721 468 C (Breather Assy), besides some random used parts from ebay or from Aliexpress(that I would preffer to avoid).
Is this part necessary or is there an equal one already mounted on the original 5 speed trans/clutch combo?

From my understanding this plugs between the clutch cylinder and the rigid/flex oil tube line(1J1721465BC), I'm asking because I can get a clutch+gearbox+trans axles+gear selector and cables for under 500€, I think they dont have the covers and some other bits and bobs, but its a great starting point, and this is the only part that is giving me a fit to find/understand if I really need it.