Mk5 PD TDI exhaust work

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
I ve got a 06 jetta tdi. I am looking to do an exhaust this spring. Do you guys recommed doing a 3" downpipe or 2.5". I was thinking of doing 3" downpipe and the rest of the exhaust, but i read somewhere that with the stock turbo and 3" downpipe i can get turbo over spooling issues? is this true? what do you recommend?
For now i have a psi power box, but I am looking to do stage 1.5 malone tuning flash-Possibly stage 2.
thanks for help

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Exhaust work on the BRM is a bit of a waste of energy with the tiny stock turbo in place. Straight piping the muffler and resonator will make it sound nice but not too loud. Any diameter increase will not make any difference until you go bigger on the turbo.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I ve got a 06 jetta tdi. I am looking to do an exhaust this spring. Do you guys recommed doing a 3" downpipe or 2.5". I was thinking of doing 3" downpipe and the rest of the exhaust, but i read somewhere that with the stock turbo and 3" downpipe i can get turbo over spooling issues? is this true? what do you recommend?
For now i have a psi power box, but I am looking to do stage 1.5 malone tuning flash-Possibly stage 2.
thanks for help
I don't think with the stock tune you'll get boost creep, however I do think you are more prone to creep if you have done some exhaust work, my advice would be cut the muffler of, enjoy the nice tone and get a custom tune of Malone, so the can make sure you won't have overspooling.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
The reason why i want to do turbo back is because i am looking for that full turbo spool sound..Also i figured with the stage 1.5 or possibly 2 tune it will breath better. I heard a tdi with just the muffler cut off and the resonator, and i think catless tdi sounds so much better.
Do you think with stage 1.5 and straight pipe i can really have problems with the boost creep?
is it really that common on 06 tdi's?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
It is often said that bigger exhaust can exasperate boost creep on stock turbo cars, mostly by the MkIV ALH/BEW crowd. Our BRMs are completely different though. IIRC their exhaust is a little larger diameter than the MkIVs. BRMs are prone to boost creep with nothing more than a tune when pushing the envelope of stock hardware. The turbine side of the BRM turbo does not flow very well when pushed much and it makes little sense to me why a freer flowing exhaust would make it any worse.

Either way, I see no actual gain possible with an exhaust and stock turbo, but it probably would sound nicer. Since the BRM cat is pretty much the whole downpipe, it would be most efficient to "window" the cat and gut it (but only for off road use;)) The system diameter is already plenty big.

If the exhaust were done prior to the tune, a few VCDS logs of group 11 should tell any one of the talented TDI tuners what they would need to know to tune out excessive creep.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
I am thinking Malone tuning stage 1.5 just to stay on the safe side with (the boost creep) with 2.5" turbo back exhaust.
Right now I have psi power box but I was told flash is much better. Car is 5speed man if makes difference.
Car in discussion:

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I would say, if you are planning to go bigger on the turbo, then yes, no point in holding back with the exhaust. If you not changing out the turbo, I would either cut the cat and muffler out and put a high flow muffler or resonator in or use a 2.5 with just a high flow muffler or resonator.

I have the KermaTDI 3" Turbo Back on my mine and it sounds really good...but I'm also getting ready to put a larger turbo on the car as well.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
If you are going with Malone why not get the custom one? They will make logs with your car and make a tune that will not have boost creep.

Are you running bags? Looks nice

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
If you are going with Malone why not get the custom one? They will make logs with your car and make a tune that will not have boost creep.

Are you running bags? Looks nice
Hmm... I never thought about a custom tune..I was going to ship my computer to them as they are in B.C canada, and I am in Toronto.
Can they still read my log even though my car is not there....(off the computer)
Yes the car is bagged.

ItsTricky

TDI
2006 jetta
similar plans on my end, looking at a 3" downpipe back, but will agree that the factory downpipe on these is plenty big enough for whatever you want to do to it, right now i just want to really hear mine when i drive it

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
similar plans on my end, looking at a 3" downpipe back, but will agree that the factory downpipe on these is plenty big enough for whatever you want to do to it, right now i just want to really hear mine when i drive it
From what i saw under my car, these cars dont have a downpipe, the downpipe is pretty much the cat"