ALH in mk3 - CV joints

Raphvw

TDI
ALH Corrado
I have an 2001 mk4 ALH in my 90 corrado but i'll be using a mk3 subframe.

which cv-joints am I suppose to use?

mk3 tdis ?

Thanks!

Edit: it's a standard tranny!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It depends on what transmission you're using, not on the engine or carrier. If you're using the 02A CTN trans then that's standard 100mm inner cups for 100mm inner CV's. The outer CV's from the Corrado should be fine unless you're doing something different with bearing carriers.

Actually, I think the Corrado is already running the 02A transmission so really everything on that car from the factory should bolt up. There's no magic difference between a CV joint on a TDI and one from a Corrado etc. There might be differences in the actual axle shaft itself between models but not CV's.

If it's the axle you're concerned about I would check and compare what you have with those from a Mk3. I would certainly look at the right side axle shaft from the Mk3 if the one on the Corrado is not hollow.

Steve

Raphvw

TDI
ALH Corrado
I don't have any mk3/corrado axle shafts at the moment!
I use the mk4, 02J? transmission.
Corrado a-frames were narrower than the mk3 I use.
So if I want to buy a brand new set of axles, what are my options?

Thank you

Raphvw

TDI
ALH Corrado
I think I didnt not uae the right title for the thread!
Sorry bout that. I think I misuse the axle/cv-joint words in english

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The Mk3 and Mk4 transmissions should have the same mounting flanges if they're MT.

You're suggesting that because the carrier is from the Mk3 that there's going to be a problem with the axles? I would probably say that's not going to be an issue.

You should look for complete axle shafts from Mk3, B3 or B4 vehicles, 4 cylinder with MT. That's a very broad scope but that will get you what you need.

It might also depend on what model the control arms you're using came from but I would tend believe they will work.

Yes, the CV joints are at either end of the axle shaft. When talking about the complete shaft I say axle assembly.

Brand new axles - those can be mixed bag if they aren't patterned after the originals. I would tend to hunt down OE axle shafts and then see about finding good CV joints I can repack and reboot so I can make complete assemblies. Like I said the passenger axle assembly on the Mk3 is hollow on TDI cars, and possibly even on the 2.0 ABA 4cyl cars too.

Steve

Raphvw

TDI
ALH Corrado
So since I have the mk4s axles, I should use them but only change the outer cv-joints?
Thougth the mk4 axles was wider than the mk3...
Arms are from a 96 1.8 golf.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mk4 axles will not work for this, you need to find axle assemblies from the models I listed above. Yes, and AT CV joints are different too from MT.

All Mk3 4 cylinder control arms are the same, only VR6 are different. That goes for B3 and B4 too, 4 cylinder cars (in US and Canada) are different from VR6 cars.

Good luck

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Steve, which mk3/b4 axle shafts were not hollow? Non-TDI?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Steve, which mk3/b4 axle shafts were not hollow? Non-TDI?
Not sure about those from VW factory, I have seen Mk3 cars with the gas 4 cylinder (ABA) engine that have hollow passenger axles. These should be very similar to those for TDI.

Really the only ones I've seen that aren't hollow are the aftermarket suppliers. Some of the Napa replacement axle assemblies have solid shafts, but I do know that other aftermarket are hollow like the factory fitted units.

I think it's luck of the draw honestly.

Steve

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If you are doing a TDI swap into a corrado using a Mk3 K-frame for the ALH you will need to determine which control arms you are using. In general use the axles/cv joints that match the control arms.
  • If you are using SLC corrado or Mk3 VR6 control arms use SLC/Mk3 VR6 axles.
  • If you are using Mk3 2L/TDI control arms use the Mk3 2L/TDI axles.
  • If you are using Mk2 or Corrado G60 control arms use the mk2/G60 axles.