P204F00 fault, VW has no fix!

viperius

TDI
13 Passat SEL
I have had this happen multiple times, every time it clears it self. It seems to happen when you drive over a certain speed consistently for a period of time. I believe the AdBlue injector cannot keep up with the demand causing a 20553 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1 and 15733 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
In my experience, clearing the code and letting the car recalibrate turns off the no start warning.

DCoartney

TDI
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
As expected, the "XXX miles to no start" message has started appearing again now that it is winter. This happened repeatedly last winter, which was the first since buying our 2013 Passat TDI SEL in July of 2020. It was taken to the dealership in Milwaukee twice, but no fix.

Our daughter has been driving the wheels off it, putting 33,000 miles on it in a year and a half. It went all summer without giving the AdBlue warning, but that changed once the weather started turning colder. As someone else reported, short trips in cold weather do not trigger the warning, just long trips. Also, as others have reported, the warning generally starts at 200 miles (not at the 1,200 or 1,500 miles it is supposed to) (or less), and the trip from Eureka to Milwaukee is longer than that -- and, yes, it will brick the car if it goes to zero. (We've experienced that twice.) In all instances, there was plenty of AdBlue in the tank.

It threw a legitimate AdBlue warning at the designed starting mileage before the weather turned cold, and the level was indeed low, so it appears that the injection system has been working and using AdBlue. But all of the other times, it has thrown codes P204F, "Reductant System Performance Bank 1," and P20EE, "SCR Nox Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1."

Based on a YouTube video showing the cleaning of a caked-up injector and port, I pulled the DEF injector on ours only to find both injector and port very clean.

I'm about to call Volkswagen Customer Care to see if they have a fix for this yet. I can't have our daughter risking being stranded alone at a rest stop or fuel station with a car that won't start at night in the middle of the winter, so I sent my BlueDriver with her so that she can at least clear the codes. Any updates on this from the group will be appreciated. Thank you.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
As expected, the "XXX miles to no start" message has started appearing again now that it is winter. This happened repeatedly last winter, which was the first since buying our 2013 Passat TDI SEL in July of 2020. It was taken to the dealership in Milwaukee twice, but no fix.

Our daughter has been driving the wheels off it, putting 33,000 miles on it in a year and a half. It went all summer without giving the AdBlue warning, but that changed once the weather started turning colder. As someone else reported, short trips in cold weather do not trigger the warning, just long trips. Also, as others have reported, the warning generally starts at 200 miles (not at the 1,200 or 1,500 miles it is supposed to) (or less), and the trip from Eureka to Milwaukee is longer than that -- and, yes, it will brick the car if it goes to zero. (We've experienced that twice.) In all instances, there was plenty of AdBlue in the tank.

It threw a legitimate AdBlue warning at the designed starting mileage before the weather turned cold, and the level was indeed low, so it appears that the injection system has been working and using AdBlue. But all of the other times, it has thrown codes P204F, "Reductant System Performance Bank 1," and P20EE, "SCR Nox Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1."

Based on a YouTube video showing the cleaning of a caked-up injector and port, I pulled the DEF injector on ours only to find both injector and port very clean.

I'm about to call Volkswagen Customer Care to see if they have a fix for this yet. I can't have our daughter risking being stranded alone at a rest stop or fuel station with a car that won't start at night in the middle of the winter, so I sent my BlueDriver with her so that she can at least clear the codes. Any updates on this from the group will be appreciated. Thank you.
I had the same problem with the no engine start. Would come on randomly at first then it would start the count down down to 25 miles. This normally happened on road trips. Had it to the dealership for about 3 weeks while they diagnosed it last year. The dealership ended up replacing the rear nox sensor and the nox catalyst. Have not had a problem with it since then.

DCoartney

TDI
watatrp, thanks for the NOx sensor and catalyst info. VW customer care logged my claim today telling me that they cannot get involved unless it is within 30 days of a dealership diagnosis in which the problem is not resolved. After that, I spoke with the dealership service rep, who asked that we bring the car in when the AdBlue warning is displaying. Well, our daughter just called to say that the AdBlue warning just came on and is showing 50 miles until no start.

NDAK89

TDI
Passat
What diagnostic scanners are you guys using? When your AdBlue warning display comes up, can't you clear the code out and keep operating the vehicle? I live in the upper Midwest and have been looking at a diesel Passat for awhile. The climate up here get's cold, -20 isn't uncommon for several days at a time if not weeks. Couldn't a person buy a inexpensive scanner, and if the code comes up, just clear it?

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
What diagnostic scanners are you guys using? When your AdBlue warning display comes up, can't you clear the code out and keep operating the vehicle? I live in the upper Midwest and have been looking at a diesel Passat for awhile. The climate up here get's cold, -20 isn't uncommon for several days at a time if not weeks. Couldn't a person buy a inexpensive scanner, and if the code comes up, just clear it?
I have a ScanGauge2. You can clear codes but my experience with this particular problem is that it comes right back after a few minutes. Mine usually starts with a no start in 200 miles but it has gone all the way down to 25 miles. Kind of jumps around. I had this problem last year and several parts were replaced by the dealer. This last weekend the problem came back again. For me, it always starts on a road trip with sustained speeds above 70mph for over 45 mins. It will go off randomly but the check engine light stays on. Dealer needs the CEL on so they can diagnose.

NDAK89

TDI
Passat
So it will come on and go off, randomly? If a person was to go on a "road trip" and the light comes on, can you simply clear the code with a scanner to avoid the "no start" issue??

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
So it will come on and go off, randomly? If a person was to go on a "road trip" and the light comes on, can you simply clear the code with a scanner to avoid the "no start" issue??
You can clear the code but while I was still driving it would come back on. I never reached the no start event. There is some glitch in the system that VW cannot solve. I will do a delete once I am out of warranty. I still have 35k miles or until 2024 whichever comes first until the warranty is up. Still doesn't give you a good feeling going on a road trip not knowing if you will actually get to the "no start" event. Even my no start mileage countdown was somewhat random. Went from 200 miles down but sometimes it would stop then start up again and sometimes randomly start at 25 miles.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
Does a delete get rid of the problem?
From what I understand, YES. You will also need a tune to get rid of all the random codes that will show up. Costs some $$ but will make it more reliable, more power, better fuel mileage and less wear on some parts.

NDAK89

TDI
Passat
Anyone on here confirm if the delete cures the problem? What kind of mileage/performance gains do you see with a delete & tune?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I can guarantee a tune from kermatdi will take care of the problem. Recalibrates the system the way the factory would. Save yourself the expense of deletes

DCoartney

TDI
I have a ScanGauge2. You can clear codes but my experience with this particular problem is that it comes right back after a few minutes. Mine usually starts with a no start in 200 miles but it has gone all the way down to 25 miles. Kind of jumps around. I had this problem last year and several parts were replaced by the dealer. This last weekend the problem came back again. For me, it always starts on a road trip with sustained speeds above 70mph for over 45 mins. It will go off randomly but the check engine light stays on. Dealer needs the CEL on so they can diagnose.
Sounds exactly like ours. Our BlueDriver resets the codes, but they come right back in cold weather on long trips.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
I can guarantee a tune from kermatdi will take care of the problem. Recalibrates the system the way the factory would. Save yourself the expense of deletes
Does the KermaTDI tune require a DSG tune? What happens if the DSG is not tuned at the same time?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Does the KermaTDI tune require a DSG tune? What happens if the DSG is not tuned at the same time?
Optional but synergistic. Can be done later if you want, they work very well together.
give the guys a call and they will be happy to explain 877-537-6283

LMM_HP

TDI
2012 2.0L SEL Passat
Well, I got the P204F Code and 200 Mile N/S Warning yesterday morning. No Start disappeared on the drive home & I cleared the code when I got home. Ironically, this occurred the day after I changed the oil filter housing.. Related? Id like to think so, but who the hell knows. 128k on the car. I was watching my mpg this a.m. and it was not anywhere near where it should be, I was running between 30-35mpg while going 77mph, all interstate. MPG increased slightly if I slowed down. I drive 145miles round trip & with the current fuel prices steadily increasing, I cant afford to be losing MPG.

So If I'm reading the above correctly, both the DSG Tune and Passat TDI tune from KermaTDI will fix this problem? DSG Tune not completely necessary, but recommended. This is a complete DIY tuning system done via mailing equipment & emailing downloads... Also, there is no need to do any type of delete to the DPF system...?

Thanks All!

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
So If I'm reading the above correctly, both the DSG Tune and Passat TDI tune from KermaTDI will fix this problem? DSG Tune not completely necessary, but recommended. This is a complete DIY tuning system done via mailing equipment & emailing downloads... Also, there is no need to do any type of delete to the DPF system...?

Thanks All!
yes.

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
watatrp, thanks for the NOx sensor and catalyst info. VW customer care logged my claim today telling me that they cannot get involved unless it is within 30 days of a dealership diagnosis in which the problem is not resolved. After that, I spoke with the dealership service rep, who asked that we bring the car in when the AdBlue warning is displaying. Well, our daughter just called to say that the AdBlue warning just came on and is showing 50 miles until no start.
^^^
What happened to her with that 50 mile warning? Did you take it in? Was the warning still showing when if you took it in?

Did they confirm the issue?

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know that the warning is actually letting you know about something that will really happen. At my lowest countdown it said 25 miles to no start. I had just finished a 200 mile road trip and decided I was going to fuel up and then drive straight to the dealer. When I started it back up the countdown was gone. I did take it to the dealer the next day and they kept it for 3 weeks diagnosing and fixing it. I really don't think VW knows what to fix or how so they just throw parts at it hoping we will go away.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I agree with @KERMA about getting the tune. I had a chance to experience both, just the engine tune in the period I was waiting for equipment, and the joint engine and transmission tune after the loaner equipment arrived. The DSG tune is a little more involved with connecting and disconnecting the DSG connector, but engine tune can be done by a 6 year old, it is so simple. And it recalibrates everything beautifully, car actually becomes more enjoyable to drive, and the best part is that all the emissions components remain in place and operational, so the car continues to clean the exhaust and remain nature friendly. It just recalibrates some things to provide better power curve. The cost is well worth it, at a minimum engine tune. And you will have your car back! Dual tune makes the car perfect. Imagine if VW "fix" put the car at 50% enjoyment, the engine tune gets it to 95% and dual tune bring it to 99%. The engine tune is bare minimum a must, DSG is you your enjoyment if you decide later.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Also, for what we know, does this problem (P204F00 fault) impact the 2015 Passat TDI cars?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with @KERMA about getting the tune. I had a chance to experience both, just the engine tune in the period I was waiting for equipment, and the joint engine and transmission tune after the loaner equipment arrived. The DSG tune is a little more involved with connecting and disconnecting the DSG connector, but engine tune can be done by a 6 year old, it is so simple. And it recalibrates everything beautifully, car actually becomes more enjoyable to drive, and the best part is that all the emissions components remain in place and operational, so the car continues to clean the exhaust and remain nature friendly. It just recalibrates some things to provide better power curve. The cost is well worth it, at a minimum engine tune. And you will have your car back! Dual tune makes the car perfect. Imagine if VW "fix" put the car at 50% enjoyment, the engine tune gets it to 95% and dual tune bring it to 99%. The engine tune is bare minimum a must, DSG is you your enjoyment if you decide later.
So basically the KERMA tune undoes the "fix" on a 2014 Passat TDI (as an example) to make it as it was purchased new in 2014?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Also, for what we know, does this problem (P204F00 fault) impact the 2015 Passat TDI cars?
No it does not affect the 2015 passats

So basically the KERMA tune undoes the "fix" on a 2014 Passat TDI (as an example) to make it as it was purchased new in 2014?
No, adjust some cold weather operating parameters so that the affected system(s) acts properly in cold weather. (recalibration) The "fix" remains in place.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
@KERMA , thanks for the quick responses.

Does the tune(s) do anything to the way the emission system works in a 2015 Passat to optimize it for reliability and longevity?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
@KERMA , thanks for the quick responses.

Does the tune(s) do anything to the way the emission system works in a 2015 Passat to optimize it for reliability and longevity?
[/QUOTE]

2015 cars CRUA/CVCA are very clean, DPF regen frequency reduced to approx every 500 miles for highway driving or once a tank of fuel, or 400-500 miles for mixed or city use. Zero reports of failed dpf for thousands of cars. Eliminates any reason to "delete" anything, your stock emissions equipment will last a long time and remain trouble free. Many are reporting less adblue use too, but YMMV.

Scaramoor

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
No it does not affect the 2015 passats

No, adjust some cold weather operating parameters so that the affected system(s) acts properly in cold weather. (recalibration) The "fix" remains in place.
Yes, it does affect 2015 TDI SEL's. I have one that is currently stuck in VW Dealership jail (throwing P204F and P20EE with the shutdown warning). They claim the NOx sensor is bad and can't find the parts anywhere. I found a local independent shop that are supposed to be experts in VW TDI's. I'm a bit new to this, so I apologize if this is a basic question. But if I talk to the independent shop I found, will they understand what the "Kerma" and "DSG" tune are? My daughter drives the Passat and I have to get it running reliably.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so we have one case. Anyone else with a 2015 Passat who has/had the P204F00 fault, please chime in.

lowlife

TDI
03 jetta 13 passat
I live in a non emissions check state and was forced into a delete to get rid of this issue. It was not an easy decision as I had warranty for another 14 months. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Hopefully no more heater cores heater core. Easier on the turbo. No countdown of death. This car is only driven from Minnesota to kc at no less than 80 mph so I couldn't afford this nonsense. Sad that vw forced me into this situation.

Last edited: