This is all very confusing.....

Spanish Key

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
....but fun nonetheless.

I picked up my new 2013 Jetta the other day and nobody at the dealership said nothing about breaking it in. Of course, I got on the Internet and suddenly it's all about breaking it in. Unfortunately (and predictibly, I guess), nobody seems to agree about how best to do it.

So I came here seeking clarity. Couldn't find any, but I learned a lot.

Here's what I think I know now:

1.) Don't be afraid to move that tack needle, especially when it's warm.
2.) Vary driving patterns and acceleration as much as possible.
3.) Keep it above 2K rpms when driving.
4.) Stay away from the cruise control.
5.) Avoid idling, except:
6.) Let it idle for a minute or two before turning off to let the turbo spin down.

This all applies to the first 5K miles. After that, drive any way you like, but always get the revs up when shifting up, and try to keep the tach at 2K rpm or above for max efficiency.

Considering how and where I drive, I don't see that I'll have any use for 6th gear during break in. I could probably get by without 5th gear when you get right down to it.

Sound about right?

One more question: Should I plan to use a fuel additive year around, or just in the winter?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Break-in is not a factor. Drive normally unless your normal is to avoid using the accelerator. That'll be enough to seat the rings.

PurpleGrimace

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
I agree Spanish Key - this is a great site for learning different things - but there are as many people on here saying exactly the opposite of what you stated above. The owners manual states taking it easy on the engine, leaving it below 4k revs for the first 600 miles, then you can wind it up once and awhile if you want to. The rest of the other items seem to be people who "know best".

The one that makes me smile is the one that tells you to keep the reeves above 2k while driving - which would essentially mean that at 70 mph, you need to leave it in 4th gear for the first five hundred miles - which seems a little excessive to me...

As far as efficiency, I get the best fuel economy at around 1700 to 1800 rpm.

Either way, the car is fun as hell, and enjoy it greatly. Welcome to TDi!

Best Regards!
PG

Spanish Key

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
Drive normally unless your normal is to avoid using the accelerator.
My normal is to avoid using the accelerator....but I'm trying to change my ways.

Vicious cycle: I avoid the accelerator to save fuel. I bought a TDI to save fuel. Now I have to change my driving habits, somewhat. I guess if having a bit more fun driving is the sacrifice I have to make for the sake of fuel efficiency, it's probably worth it.

What about additives?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
....but fun nonetheless.

I picked up my new 2013 Jetta the other day and nobody at the dealership said nothing about breaking it in. Of course, I got on the Internet and suddenly it's all about breaking it in. Unfortunately (and predictibly, I guess), nobody seems to agree about how best to do it.

So I came here seeking clarity. Couldn't find any, but I learned a lot.

Here's what I think I know now:

1.) Don't be afraid to move that tack needle, especially when it's warm.
2.) Vary driving patterns and acceleration as much as possible.
3.) Keep it above 2K rpms when driving.
4.) Stay away from the cruise control.
5.) Avoid idling, except:
6.) Let it idle for a minute or two before turning off to let the turbo spin down.

This all applies to the first 5K miles. After that, drive any way you like, but always get the revs up when shifting up, and try to keep the tach at 2K rpm or above for max efficiency.

Considering how and where I drive, I don't see that I'll have any use for 6th gear during break in. I could probably get by without 5th gear when you get right down to it.

Sound about right?

One more question: Should I plan to use a fuel additive year around, or just in the winter?
You pretty much summed it up. Get ready for the "do a search" line a few times, but it sounds like you have. So I'll just add my personal opinion:

Max torque is under 2k rpm. To max the FE I say you don't always rev high, and can go as low as 1100 on a flat surface/decline. I go by feel and make sure I don't feel I'm straining the motor or the DMF (clutch) I'll run cruise at 50-52 mph in 6th (in a 45 or 50mph) and the display runs 55,70 mpg. I'll use cruise for only a mile or two at times. The effort is to allow the computer to give the car just enough fuel to keep speed, and it is more precise than my foot. Other times if I don't need precise speed, I can manipulate the mpg better myself rather than have that computer plump whatever fuel it has to have to keep that mph pegged.

That computer gauge will tell you what to do. I use a combination of gentle, low rpm, cruise, nuetral, timing (on conditions and geography) and agression to max my FE. Another trick on a 40mph road (with engine fully warm of course) is: 1st to 3k rpm, 2nd to 4k rpm, slide into 5th. This I believe is good balance between exercise and mpg, which go hand in hand.

I kept the revs a little high early on, but also would let them drop down pretty low at times as part of "break-in"

I don't consider a diesel "broke in" for 50k miles or more. They are cool like that.

Salespeople won't tell you ANYTHING so as not to turn people off from their purchase. Break in sounds complicated, and the Japanese gassers blanketly brag zero break in is needed, I'm sure VW doesn't want to be bested in that department.

Your fuel additive question is a huge can o worms. From "one shot at the year's first freeze to dry the condensation" to religious use for HPFP insurance. (Search HPFP before you dare ask about it here!)

I use a strong high-quality additive on a regular, but not constant basis.

Moderation in all things.

Avoid high revs when the motor is cold, give it exercise when warm. As you add the miles, start out keeping it under 3600 rpm, go there infrequently. Slowly push it higher and with more frequency for the first several thousand miles.

Again, this is all my opinion and the practice I did with mine. It's happy at 89k miles. :)

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Admittedly, I do not know anything about the CR engines. However, one would have to assume the break-in period primarily involves the head and block components of the engine.......... basically the same as the previous TDI engines.

So, it would seem just basic common sense operation would do during the miles leading up to the first oil change.

I agree with both jcrews and PurpleGrimace.

So, drive more and worry less.

Other than the cool down thing (which I've never really let it concern me), the "don't idle your TDI" is pretty much bunk, in my opinion. If the "idling" thing destroys engines, mine should have been dead long ago. Here is one example: due to a an accident, I sit on the Interstate over 6 hours idling my engine (that was the winter of 2002-03). Today, at over 314k miles, my engine seems fine.

One thing I don't do is take the revs above 4000.......maybe two or three times since I've owned the vehicle (March 2002 until now). I've never had to clean my Turbo or have it go into limp mode. Full turbo actuator exercise can be obtained without extreme high RPMs......full boost is the determining factor, which can be achieved by doing almost WOT from about 2200 RPMs up to 3200 in a couple of the lower gears while acceleratoring onto the expressway, etc. Watching boost with ScanGauge or custom installed gauge will reflect what I am saying.

Welcome to the club!

Hope this helps!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Other than the cool down thing (which I've never really let it concern me), the "don't idle your TDI" is pretty much bunk, in my opinion. If the "idling" thing destroys engines, mine should have been dead long ago. Here is one example: due to a an accident, I sit on the Interstate over 6 hours idling my engine (that was the winter of 2002-03). Today, at over 314k miles, my engine seems fine.

One thing I don't do is take the revs above 4000.......maybe two or three times since I've owned the vehicle (March 2002 until now). I've never had to clean my Turbo or have it go into limp mode. Full turbo actuator exercise can be obtained without extreme high RPMs......full boost is the determining factor, which can be achieved by doing almost WOT from about 2200 RPMs up to 3200 in a couple of the lower gears while acceleratoring onto the expressway, etc. Watching boost with ScanGauge or custom installed gauge will reflect what I am saying.

Welcome to the club!
I agree. I doubt VW would be pushing the new TDIs so hard into taxi fleets in some parts of the world if idleing was a deathnail. I admit I exceed 4k rpm on occasion, maybe 0.091% of the time. My avatar sums it up I think. ;)

rmacia

TDI
2013 Golf,2 door,grey,6 spd.man.
Good luck with your 2013 ..... I know the feeling of being alone. My dealer knew nothing either ..
so what else is new ?

this might be of interest

I am breaking mine in just now ... up to 800 miles.

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.
-Keep rpms as close to 2000 rpm as possible when driving at a steady speed. This promotes optimum temperatures for the DPF and keeps the engine in the middle of its most efficient rpm range (1800-2200 rpm).
-Allow the DSG or automatic transmission to determine the optimal gear and engine rpm. It knows better than you... Provided you have it trained to be biased to the sport mode the engines shift points will occur at the ideal ranges.

Redline is defined as the maximum rpm allowed by the engine, in the case of all TDI's it is 5,100 rpm. The maximum physical limit of a TDI engine due in part to it's short stroke is approximately 8,800 rpm (this is when you will throw a rod or damage a piston, this rpm is not possible unless you force a downshift into 1st gear while driving 80mph)

The instrument cluster shows a red BAND starting at or around 4600 rpm, most owners will find that very little power resides beyond this point due mostly to the ECU reducing fueling to respect the smoke map.

Adaptive Transmissions, these transmissions learn based on how you apply the power with your foot. Over time they will modify shift patterns with a bias to a "Sport" mode. Train the transmission to shift as close to the recomended rpm ranges below.

When your engine was first produced the motor was placed in a test cell and "Run-in" by a computer run dyno. The motor after the run-in was DRAINED OF ALL ITS FLUIDS (Oil, Coolant etc), the filters were replaced and a unique break-in oil was installed to promote a proper break-in once installed in the car as well as to protect the engine from corrosion during shipping to final assembly.

The "Break-in oil", YES VW does use a specially formulated "Break-In" oil formulated under an internal "TL" specification and produced by Fuchs. The oil is a group IV synthetic 5w30 formulated to comply with the LowSAPS VW507.00 requirements as well as the TL specifications for break-in. The oil is intended to allow a controlled rate of wear while protecting the engine and allowing the internal parts to seat proplerly during the engines first 10,000 road miles.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm (75%) application of power is strongly recomended up to a maximum engine rpm of 3,800. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.
DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. THIS DOES NOT MEAN DRIVE AROUND AT 5100 RPM! This DOES mean to find the rpm range where your cars best power resides. Most owners will find that the best engine operating range to be between 2000rpm and 4200 rpm for the purpose of acceleration. At all costs avoid using full throttle below 2000 rpm the ECU will attempt to prevent you from applying full power in this range, work with it and don't request it with your foot.
Continue to avoid steady rpms and avoid the use of cruise control. occasional application of full throttle (100%) is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

Your first oil change is due at 10,000 miles DO NOT change it early! Oil analysis supports 10,000 miles as being realistic for a first change interval. Wear metals will remain at safe levels during this entire first interval thanks to the initial run-in and flush at the factory before the engine was installed in your car.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 510 psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 490 psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

60,000-the life of the motor
The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output. I am still of the opinion that if possible use a LowSAPS 5w40 instead of the 5w30 oils ie Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 formula M (MB229.51, .6 Sulfated Ash)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My normal is to avoid using the accelerator....but I'm trying to change my ways.

Vicious cycle: I avoid the accelerator to save fuel. I bought a TDI to save fuel. Now I have to change my driving habits, somewhat. I guess if having a bit more fun driving is the sacrifice I have to make for the sake of fuel efficiency, it's probably worth it.

What about additives?
Rather than avoiding the accelerator, you should avoid the *brakes* - preserve momentum and plan ahead. Accelerating rapidly and then coasting will use less fuel than accelerating slowly and maintaining a set speed.

Congrats in the new ride! Don't worry too much about break-in... It'll be fine.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Rather than avoiding the accelerator, you should avoid the *brakes* - preserve momentum and plan ahead. Accelerating rapidly and then coasting will use less fuel than accelerating slowly and maintaining a set speed.
Absolutely! :D Plus you save brake pad, make the guy behind you less impatient, and the guy in front of you less nervous.

I try to use my brakes as gently as necessary. When completely stopped, I'll press them firmly sometimes to keep the calipers healthy. :)

Spanish Key

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I've always driven with fuel economy in mind (and tried to avoid running up my maintenance costs), so I'm down with the less-is-better brakes approach. I was just worried that it was the wrong way to break the thing in. The one concession I do make now is to try to vary engine speed, including big run-ups on straight stretches and yes, I have noticed that the mpg meter likes the coast-down.

I'm down to half a tank (or whatever) with 400 miles on the clock, so I certainly am getting decent mileage. Looking forward to filling up for the first time and getting a real number to work with.