Flashing Glow Plug + Check Engine Light +Loss of Power on the highway

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
= a crappy day.

Was just heading out on leg two of a three day trip across Canada from BC to Winnipeg when as we were leaving Calgary the Glow plug light started flashing, the engine lost power and the Check Engine! message came on, just after filling up with Diesel.

Called roadside assistance, waited for two hours in the freezing cold, with small children in the car, thank goodness we'd packed blankets and all their winter gear.

Got towed to a dealership and waited 5 hours for a diagnosis.

At first they thought the diesel I filled up with had gas in it, after some testing it turns out to have had water in it. The water trap did it's job, but at highway speeds at -20c the water in the intercooler froze and the turbo was starved for air. They thawed and drained the intercooler & water trap, cleaned the intercooler with break cleaner and reassembled everything. Got the rest of the water out of the gas tank, called the gas station and complained to them. Their diesel tank was low after the holidays and the pump must've sucked up the water.

I'm not convinced that the water in the intercooler came from the diesel, I thought the intercooler was where air form outside got further cooled before going in to the engine. the day before the problem we drove ~700km through the mountains and had a lot of slushy wet snow splashed all over the front of the car from big pick up truck drivers going too fast. I know they were going too fast because I saw one in the ditch and another with his truck smashed, he slid into oncoming traffic.

We got on the road at about 5:30pm and still made nearly 600km that night and made another 900 today, it's great to be home.

I'm so glad that the car is happy and that we drove 4,500km round trip in the dead of winter with only the one minor (in retrospect) incident.

On a happy note, the car is a LOT of fun in the mountains with the 6 speed manual.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
Their diagnosis is correct , but they probably were feeding you some BS along the way about water in your diesel. The intercooler is an air-to-air heat exchanger. There should be no water in it at any time, and any water that does accumulate by definition must come from the intake airflow. Fuel supply has nothing to do with it.

However, these engines have been having trouble with intercooler condensation and icing in humid below freezing temperatures. Lots of people having the same problem as you.

Read here for starters...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Well, if the low pressure egr which is active, which feeds exhaust back to the intake side of the turbo, and you're exhaust is extreamly wet (bad fuel) then i guess that'd lead you to mist up the IC.

I also the iced IC wouldn't starve the turbo of air, it'd bound it up, not enough air would be able to leave the trubo then to the intake manifold.

The only kicker would be I'd imagine if the fuel had enough water in it to really mist up the IC it'd also be running like crap.

Either way did you're dealer mention any redisgned intercooler similar to what my dealer told me?

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
No one mentioned another about a new or redesigned intercooler. Mind you this dealer knew that I was in a hurry and just wanted to get back on the road. Next time I'm at my local dealer I'll ask them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The dealer probably doesn't know about it unless they contact the VW tech line, usually the dealers don't know about it until there's a TSB or new parts in hand.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.