Blend Door Repair Secret '96 Passat B4V

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Ha, it took me forever to learn that it takes less effort to work cleanly, than the time and effort it takes to clean up.

See the blue under the box? That's a moving blanket; there's a blanket on both floor pans and the freshly pressure washed carpet isn't even in the car. I need to blow the rotted foam off the vent dampers, then turn the blower on full blast ( then vacuum) prior to installing the carpet.

-Todd

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
One added option whilst you have access to the airbag mounts for the passenger side.... Remove the airbag completely. Buy a B3 glove box and install in its place - the glove box is unchanged for the B4. Plug a 1.8 ohm resistor into the airbag connector and the airbag warning light will not come on. You get: (1) A proper glove box. (2) Rid of an explosive device in your passenger's face. Similar can be done for the driver: unplug airbag & insert another 1.8 ohm there, remount the now inert airbag. Remember: those airbags were the Ralph Nader full-explosive-force ones that can snap your neck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Also remember that the seat belt system and tensioners are designed to work in conjunction with the airbags. Deleting the airbag without modifying the seat belts may make the car significantly less safe in a collision.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I had a B3 glovebox, I'd have installed it. I actually pulled the upper bracket bolts, incase I wanted to add one later.

I'm running the glovebox and an early, leather Corrado wheel in my B4V and the resistor trick didn't work for me. I tested several values and couldn't get the light to shut off. Pulled the airbag module and still the same. I ended up cutting the bulb out of the warning light.

-Todd

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
IndigoBlueWagon, ANY "safety" device than needs a warning sticker that says the device may cause serious injury....means something is amuck.
Now I read that the feds are considering making it a requirement that new cars "talk" to each other to make them "safer"...But how will this save the DEER???

"Operating this automobile may result in your demise"
OR
"You text, you drive, You die"

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that most warning stickers are mostly about reducing liability, and have nothing to do with weather or not something is dangerous. I don't think you'll find much data that shows airbags harm more people than they save. But you can misuse them. Your car has a safety system that includes crumple zones, seat belts and tensioners, and airbags. Tampering with one part of the system can make it less safe. But of course that's your choice. I'd love a glove box in my B4, too, and would also like one in my Mercedes, so I understand the motivation.

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996
Hi, what kind of adhesive will withstand the heat without getting soft and have the same issue in a year of hot and cold cycles? I'm unsure of what the foam that Walmart sells is intended? The newer clear duct tape probably isn't rated for the hot / cold that the HVAC experiences in a typical year . Thoughts, input? Artie

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
I have tested several types of duct tape and a quality cloth tape will distort and come loose at 170*. I will need to go and get some foil fiberglass reinforced tomorrow. The temperature range is -20 to 260* F. I would hope this works. DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN . I can appreciate the patients required for those who has done this, Artie

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey ToddA1, where is that tape available? Looks to be used in construction for dryer vents. Available at a Lowes or a similar place? About the time I get it fixed, summer will be here... I hope,thanks Artie

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Home Depot, Lowes, etc. HVAC guys use the stuff.

-Todd

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I can't remember what I used last year(I think it was the sticky felt from Walmart-tape kept getting stuck together),but it's holding up so far,with the winter we've had and using the heater non-stop when driving.Of course,I haven't torn the dash apart to physically see;).....

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what I used. The aluminum is thin, as I didn't think we has a lot of static pressure to tear it. I liked the -30 to 350* I tested to 450* and it didn't shrink and stayed on. Menards, Be kind this is my first photo to this site, Artie

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
This is what I used. The aluminum is thin, as I didn't think we has a lot of static pressure to tear it. I liked the -30 to 350* I tested to 450* and it didn't shrink and stayed on. Menards, Be kind this is my first photo to this site, Artie
I got the exact same thing and am planning on doing it this week. I asked the guy at the store if he knew how long it should last and he said "probably 30 years or better". I don't know whether he's right about that but it's better than hearing something worse. :rolleyes:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I also used HVAC rated aluminum tape, but wish I would've done it differently now. Don't get me wrong, the tape works great and stays stuck. The issue is that you still need some type of foam or rubber to get a tight seal when you change the vent settings on the knob.

Heat blows out of all the openings now to some degree even when the knob is turned to the floor / feet setting or vice versa. This can be overridden by shutting the upper vents manually, but is still a little annoying.

If I had to do it again, I would start with the aluminum tape and then put a coat of thin felt, rubber, or gasket material to get an air tight seal on everything.

Not a fun job at all.

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
One added option whilst you have access to the airbag mounts for the passenger side.... Remove the airbag completely. Buy a B3 glove box and install in its place - the glove box is unchanged for the B4. Plug a 1.8 ohm resistor into the airbag connector and the airbag warning light will not come on. You get: (1) A proper glove box. (2) Rid of an explosive device in your passenger's face. Similar can be done for the driver: unplug airbag & insert another 1.8 ohm there, remount the now inert airbag. Remember: those airbags were the Ralph Nader full-explosive-force ones that can snap your neck.

Did the 1.8 ohm resistor work for you?

Rustytdi

TDI
98 Jetta
Just a newbie question. I have a 1998 jetta tdi and I have the foam in the vents. My ac is not cold which could e a few things but the clutch engages (it makes a slight noise which could be the bearing) and the system actually read high on the high side (smaller port?) pressure using a junky gauge you get with an ac recharge kit.
Ac on fan on high turned to cold it blows warm air turn it to hot and it's hot air. Never cool or cold.

I am assuming I need to do this fix on my car. Which I guess is considered and a3?

This is my first vw so I'm scouring for info. I'm loving it though! These cars are great.
Thanks for any help.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Rusty,
Yes, you have an A3.

You really need a set of gauges to properly diagnose what's going on...or what's not going on.

AutoZone has loaner sets. I don't trust them, though. You never know what contaminants you migh pick up.

Almost any auto parts store has a set for~$75. Or you could buy a set at harbor freight. Any auto magazine has a 20% off coupon.

You'll also want to start your own troubleshooting thread. Pm me the thread and I'll see what I can do to help.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I get the HVAC tape, but tell me about the foamy stuff you guys are using.
I believe the foil covered foam tape is really pipe insulating tape. I was tempted to buy some at the farm and home but remembered I had some sticky backed felt that wasn't doing anything.

For those who do the door repair but still have air coming out where it shouldn't, it may be because there are actually two doors with the foam covering inside the housing and both of those metal doors are perforated. The second one (that you can't see when doing the repair from the front) is actually a dual action door with two flaps instead of one.

Here's a pic of both covered in felt. Since I had the housing out to replace it (old one was infected with mouse stink) I opted to separate the heater housing side and take care of both doors.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Roth

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 B3 Syncro 1Z, 1992 B3 Syncro AAZ, 1992 B3 Syncro AAA
I ended up just covering the doors with foil tape. I've got hands like a well hung lesbian, so it was hard to get my fingers in there.

Foam is key for a complete seal.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the B4V, I split the box and used the tape and felt. I created a good seal.

The issue is the foam is also missing on the dash vent dampers. Closing the vents, now creates an irritating whistle on speeds 2 and higher. I need to redirect top the windshield to stop it.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
On the B4V, I split the box and used the tape and felt. I created a good seal.

The issue is the foam is also missing on the dash vent dampers. Closing the vents, now creates an irritating whistle on speeds 2 and higher. I need to redirect top the windshield to stop it.

-Todd
Yes, that's a problem too, I agree. Not really sure what a person can do about it. IIRC the original foam is a thin piece either applied to the edge of the flap or fitted into a U channel that's plastic. Been a while since I looked at it.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The damper is actually 2 pieces that sandwiches the foam. I tried to recreate it with felt, but I couldn't get the 2 pieces to snap back together. I need to revisit.

-Todd

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Would using a large O-Ring in the groove help with sealing the vent grilles doors?
Should help with the annoying whistle.
I have a couple of heater boxes and dashes out and will look at this possible solution.
I can't remember how much gap their was? Artie

Last edited: