MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Not sure how many ways/times I can say that I’m an outlier. My commute is perfect for mileage (long, flat, rural, few lights/stops, few other drivers, in a 50-55 mph speed limit in a heavily-enforced area). I also use another car (my GTI) to satisfy my short trips and need for enthusiast driving. The TDI is my 55-mile leg commutermobile. It does 110 miles four days a week and a few long road trips in the summer and ad hoc. This is also my fourth TDI and I have the experience coax a couple of extra mpgs out of them by resisting the urge to drive like the angry city-slickers I begin to encounter on the western edge of my commute. There’s no magic to it.
Was just pulling your leg...:)

I know city driving kills mpg big time and driving habit like how to control your foot on the pedal makes a big difference.

If you remove your emissions stuff ,you can pass 60 MPG mark!!Enjoy your TDI!!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Was just pulling your leg...:)
I know city driving kills mpg big time and driving habit like how to control your foot on the pedal makes a big difference.
If you remove your emissions stuff ,you can pass 60 MPG mark!!Enjoy your TDI!!
Hah. Internet never conveys sarcasm/jokes well. I am convinced some people think I am BS’ing on my mpg posts.

Yes, very interested to see what a delete would do. Gonna wait and get that phase 2 sticker under my hood first, since I live in a pretty oppressive OBD plug-in DMV state that is only a half step behind CA.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hah. Internet never conveys sarcasm/jokes well. I am convinced some people think I am BS’ing on my mpg posts.
Yes, very interested to see what a delete would do. Gonna wait and get that phase 2 sticker under my hood first, since I live in a pretty oppressive OBD plug-in DMV state that is only a half step behind CA.
Meh, as a ex-deleted guy from my MK5, it's not worth it when we are doing as well as we are WITH all this stuff hanging off the turbo. It's a real tragedy that VW stepped into that pile of poo with the emissions cheat. This motor really does shine. Now, tune after phase 2 that you can remove if needed is a great next step and I'll probably go that route but I just see no practical reason "at this point" to dump the system. ?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My impressions (admittedly limited to a sample of 2 vehicles, My MKVII and 335d), is that tuning for emissions controlled cars has improved a lot. Given the power and FE gains I've experienced I don't see any urgent need to remove emissions hardware.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Meh, as a ex-deleted guy from my MK5, it's not worth it when we are doing as well as we are WITH all this stuff hanging off the turbo. It's a real tragedy that VW stepped into that pile of poo with the emissions cheat. This motor really does shine. Now, tune after phase 2 that you can remove if needed is a great next step and I'll probably go that route but I just see no practical reason "at this point" to dump the system. ?
If VW can void your 11 year, 162,000 mile warranty -- they will -- :eek:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My impressions (admittedly limited to a sample of 2 vehicles, My MKVII and 335d), is that tuning for emissions controlled cars has improved a lot. Given the power and FE gains I've experienced I don't see any urgent need to remove emissions hardware.
I don't care about additional power, only additional fuel economy. I cringe every time my car goes into a regen, as I watch my FE drop 5 mpg on that leg of my commute. That is the only reason I'd consider deleting: to get rid of that huge waste of fuel. I may even add a cat into a deleted system. I don't want to roll coal. I just don't want to continue wasting fuel on the on-board ash incinerator.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Given your FE I'm not sure why you'd worry about it. I doubt you'd recover the expense of the hardware delete and tune during the life of the car.

The only reason I'd consider a delete in the BMW is because of that car's tendency for carbon accumulation in the head, requiring a cleaning that's not cheap. However, it seems it's one of those things that some people have trouble with, others don't. I haven't looked at my intake yet but I don't really have enough miles (55K) on it to have a problem yet.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have to go back to the dealership for them to do that. ;) I was more saying that for the emissions check he would encounter locally.
Delaware doesn't do an emissions (ie. visual or sniffer) test on diesel emissions, but they do plug in to the OBD II port to check readiness and codes. I was told by a Malone dealer that their Stg 2 tune will not pass our DMV plug-in without some finagling.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Delaware doesn't do an emissions (ie. visual or sniffer) test on diesel emissions, but they do plug in to the OBD II port to check readiness and codes. I was told by a Malone dealer that their Stg 2 tune will not pass our DMV plug-in without some finagling.
Right, so with Malone you'd opt to buy/use a Flashzilla to remove the tune and replace the factory tune "just" for your checks. Then you swap the tune back on as soon as you get home from the check. Super easy and convenient to do.

I'm sooooo confused.:confused:

If-When you want to claim any work needed under the 162,000 mile - 11 years warranty.

...... where (???) :p
In the same place I work on a dozen other TDI's..... the garage. :D

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
I get the same mileage with my bone stock MK7 as I did with my tuned and emissions delete mk6, 42mpg average with 17K/year. I want to tune this car as well but it would be for the power and not to get the extra 2-3mpg. I dont think the regen uses nearly as much fuel as it seems like.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I get the same mileage with my bone stock MK7 as I did with my tuned and emissions delete mk6, 42mpg average with 17K/year. I want to tune this car as well but it would be for the power and not to get the extra 2-3mpg. I dont think the regen uses nearly as much fuel as it seems like.
I didn't mention it but I'm actually getting BETTER economy with my stock MK7 than I was with my tunes and deleted car over 80k miles tracked tank to tank. The real kicker is, the MK7 only has 16k on it, not even CLOSE to being broken in. After the buy back, I really feel like I'M cheating. Ha ha :D

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I didn't mention it but I'm actually getting BETTER economy with my stock MK7 than I was with my tunes and deleted car over 80k miles tracked tank to tank. The real kicker is, the MK7 only has 16k on it, not even CLOSE to being broken in. After the buy back, I really feel like I'M cheating. Ha ha :D
I noticed much better MPGs from the mk7 over a tuned mk6 (both on fuelly and on the display). It gets even better once you put a tune on the mk7!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I'd love to see what Blue Hen could achieve if their exhaust "fell off" haha. I've been able to maintain ~50mpg with the turbo upgrade thus far. I'm still impressed by the car!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am amazed by how much the wind affects MPGs on these cars. Yesterday I had a 10 mph direct tailwind and achieved ~67 mpg on my 55 mile commute as indicated by the MFD. This morning I took the reverse route, same wind (so this time a 10 mph direct headwind), and only about 5F degrees cooler temps and achieved ~57 mpg.

So, anecdotally, it looks like a direct 10 mph wind is a 5 mpg hit either way on the GSW. I don’t remember any of my three previous TDIs being so affected by the wind, but maybe I wasn’t paying attention as closely.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Your FE numbers are impressive. What would your average speed on the highway be to achieve these good FE figures?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
We just made a trip to RI from VA and back over the weekend, cruise control set at 69-70 on the highway, some local roads, (overall average speed I'd guess above 50 mph).

51.6 MPG on the way up and 50.7 on the way home with two people both ways and couple hundred extra lb headed home. Both calculated not indicated.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your FE numbers are impressive. What would your average speed on the highway be to achieve these good FE figures?
Typically 55-65 cruising. I drive five over. The majority of the route is posted 50 mph. They hand out tickets like candy on my commute (Slower Delaware to Chesapeake Bay).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I am amazed by how much the wind affects MPGs on these cars. Yesterday I had a 10 mph direct tailwind and achieved ~67 mpg on my 55 mile commute as indicated by the MFD. This morning I took the reverse route, same wind (so this time a 10 mph direct headwind), and only about 5F degrees cooler temps and achieved ~57 mpg.

So, anecdotally, it looks like a direct 10 mph wind is a 5 mpg hit either way on the GSW. I don’t remember any of my three previous TDIs being so affected by the wind, but maybe I wasn’t paying attention as closely.

Hand calculations please ;) a regen her or there can easily skew a tank average, but that is a great example of wind affecting FE. Its tough for us not to go under 70MPH on our longer commutes, and our FE show that.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hand calculations please ;) a regen her or there can easily skew a tank average, but that is a great example of wind affecting FE. Its tough for us not to go under 70MPH on our longer commutes, and our FE show that.
Both legs were sea-level to sea-level and simply an exact reverse route with no regen. I monitor all regents w/ SG2. I feel it’s a very accurate representation of the wind effect on these cars. My entire hand-calculated history is available right there in my Fuelly sig. As far as people always saying they have to go a certain speed to keep up with the rat race, I always get a chuckle out of that. No, you don’t have to break the law to appease others. :D

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
B As far as people always saying they have to go a certain speed to keep up with the rat race, I always get a chuckle out of that. No, you don’t have to break the law to appease others. :D
Screw appeasing others. Knowing your route, staying within 5 MPH of the speed limit is a matter of keeping points off your DL & money in your pocket vice the State's or local jurisdictions. Speeding tickets appear to be one of DE's primary income sources!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Screw appeasing others. Knowing your route, staying within 5 MPH of the speed limit is a matter of keeping points off your DL & money in your pocket vice the State's or local jurisdictions. Speeding tickets appear to be one of DE's primary income sources!
It’s the primary budget source for many of the small towns in Kent and Sussex Counties. It’s the land of speed traps. These are towns of 1,000 to 5,000 people with inordinate numbers of cops and cruisers and high dollar laser guns and I/O radar. They’re really good (or bad depending on the point of view).

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
It’s the primary budget source for many of the small towns in Kent and Sussex Counties. It’s the land of speed traps. These are towns of 1,000 to 5,000 people with inordinate numbers of cops and cruisers and high dollar laser guns and I/O radar. They’re really good (or bad depending on the point of view).
Your tax $$$ hard at work.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Both legs were sea-level to sea-level and simply an exact reverse route with no regen. I monitor all regents w/ SG2. I feel it’s a very accurate representation of the wind effect on these cars. My entire hand-calculated history is available right there in my Fuelly sig. As far as people always saying they have to go a certain speed to keep up with the rat race, I always get a chuckle out of that. No, you don’t have to break the law to appease others. :D
Going 70 isn't breaking the law in the land of the free ;) sure we could take back roads to go 180 mile travels but sadly our time is worth sticking to the highways.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Going 70 isn't breaking the law in the land of the free ;) sure we could take back roads to go 180 mile travels but sadly our time is worth sticking to the highways.
70 in a 50 in Virginia is a weekend in jail. Just FYI.

In Delaware, it’s just reckless driving. We just want your money.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
In Massachusetts 70 in a 50 isn't quite fast enough. The road I commute on has a 60 MPH speed limit: Traffic in the morning when not jammed runs at 80-85. State cops are around, but don't pull people over because it would cause too big a backup.

When people don't drive at the 85 percentile speed, which I would estimate at 70+, it causes a lot of congestion. I don't think the drivers have any idea of the impact of their behavior. Additionally, the road I commute on allows travel in the breakdown lane during peak times, which makes getting around the slow drivers more exciting. It's like water flowing around a stone in a stream.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In Massachusetts 70 in a 50 isn't quite fast enough. The road I commute on has a 60 MPH speed limit: Traffic in the morning when not jammed runs at 80-85. State cops are around, but don't pull people over because it would cause too big a backup.

When people don't drive at the 85 percentile speed, which I would estimate at 70+, it causes a lot of congestion. I don't think the drivers have any idea of the impact of their behavior. Additionally, the road I commute on allows travel in the breakdown lane during peak times, which makes getting around the slow drivers more exciting. It's like water flowing around a stone in a stream.
I’m glad I don’t live in a congested sh*thole like that! Here it’s two lane country roads and we wave at each other (with all of our fingers :D).