Cooling Fans Running full speed with ignition off.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Wife got home today . About 2 hrs later I noticed a loud noise comeing from the garage . Car's Cooling fan was ripping at 100 percent . It will run for 1 minute then shut off for 15 seconds then repeat . If I open or shut a door it shuts off for 30 seconds or so then ramps up again . It will continue this for hours intill the battery dies. As soon as I turn on ignition fans shut off and do not restart intill ignition is turned off again. I have scanned with vcds ..sensor temp values look reasonable..no fault codes. Somewhat limited because vcds only works with ignition on and fans only run when it is off. Any Advice greatly appreciated.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I haven't looked at the schematic but it is possible that the fans are actuated by both the thermal switch and the AC. One of the switches may be faulty and closing when it shouldn't be. Additionally if the switches activate by completing the ground half of the circuit there may be something completing the ground intermittently. If you can locate the switches try unplugging them one at a time to see if it's one of them.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Thanks for the input. This car doesnt appear to use temp switches but instead temperature thermistors and varies fan speed based on temp. The fan actual value seems to track perfectly with specified value when car is running . No DTC's showing for hvac module . Pressure seems good around 8-10 bar . I also noticed that water is being circulated through water to air intercooler as well when car is off. Sounds like an electric water pump. Somewhere. Anyone now if this is controlled by charge air temp?