www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old June 21st, 2020, 08:50   #1051
capt_slow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
Look for a download link, I had a friend send me one but no longer have it. Then get a cable, I got one from either eBay or Amazon. It's a pain to set it up first time but there are plenty of videos and articles on how to do it. It is a great tool to have, saves time and money as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

+1

You shouldnt need to pay for ISTA, but you will need to pay for the optional ICOM module.

The other nice part I like about BMW is that all their ECU firmware is integrated into a single release, 3 every year. You can flash the car up to get bug fixes or some performance enhancements. My F31 shipped with 2016 firmware and it's running the July 2019 release to fix a EPS issue. On my last F30, it shipped with 2013 firmware and was upgraded to 2016. That fixed a lot of performance issues with iDrive.

BMW isnt going to upgrade your firmware just for the hell of it, like Tesla does. You can DIY it or have a legitimate warranty issue that is fixed by a firmware update.
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:37   #1052
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

This thread is an enabler for me since I have been wanting a 335D for quite sometime. What is keeping me from getting one is that they are not available in a wagon. I wonder how much labor it takes to swap a 335D engine into a 328D Wagon.
Prices on the 335d are coming down nicely ...
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:19   #1053
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
This thread is an enabler for me since I have been wanting a 335D for quite sometime. What is keeping me from getting one is that they are not available in a wagon. I wonder how much labor it takes to swap a 335D engine into a 328D Wagon.
Few years ago I swapped everything from e46 M3 into 4-door e46. It took about a month. I took a month off from work to do this project. Keep in mind that I only kept body and glass on the four door, everything else is from M3. It took me about three or four days just to swap all the electrical harness, connectors etc. Like I said, everything in that car is from a donor car. If you don't need to swap everything I would imagine a week to 10 days would be plenty of time. I would imagine electronics would be your only headache. Engine out, engine in, shouldn't take more than two days. Just my two cents.

Old June 26th, 2020, 07:26   #1054
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Few years ago I swapped everything from e46 M3 into 4-door e46. It took about a month. I took a month off from work to do this project. Keep in mind that I only kept body and glass on the four door, everything else is from M3. It took me about three or four days just to swap all the electrical harness, connectors etc. Like I said, everything in that car is from a donor car. If you don't need to swap everything I would imagine a week to 10 days would be plenty of time. I would imagine electronics would be your only headache. Engine out, engine in, shouldn't take more than two days. Just my two cents.

I was just over on the e90 forums and read a whole thread on this guy from NC who did the whole swap in addition to a 6 speed conversion as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1662596&page=6

The ed result is just how the cars should arrive here from Europe. Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined (but willing to learn) to undergo a swap like that.
Muezzin, If I ever get to a project this size I will pm you with questions.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:38   #1055
mjez
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was just over on the e90 forums and read a whole thread on this guy from NC who did the whole swap in addition to a 6 speed conversion as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1662596&page=6

The ed result is just how the cars should arrive here from Europe. Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined (but willing to learn) to undergo a swap like that.

Muezzin, If I ever get to a project this size I will pm you with questions.
We all wish we had better selection of diesels here in America, but because of EV cult that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if at all.
Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions

Old June 26th, 2020, 07:47   #1056
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
We all wish we had better selection of diesels here in America, but because of EV cult that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if at all.
Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions

I would happy with the European Passat R Tdi Wagon; it would save me from wanting to do a BMW swap ...
Old June 30th, 2020, 21:11   #1057
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

Three cheers for the 335D. The drivetrain in that car is first class.
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2020, 00:28   #1058
Lat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Somebody on the FB group did a 335d engine swap into a 328xi e91 donor:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-335d-2/

Looked amazing.
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 11:27   #1059
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat View Post
Somebody on the FB group did a 335d engine swap into a 328xi e91 donor:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-335d-2/

Looked amazing.

Yep, that was Brad Tourt. He's very active on the NABDOG FB group and also does wrenching on them in Grand Rapids, MI. Very good guy.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb-ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2020, 06:31   #1060
swetbak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
For those that like to wrench on their own cars, ISTA and newTIS are essential.
Well, those are a nice tool and resource, but not essential. I've been wrenching on my 335d for 3yrs now and never used either. A good forum and Google/YouTube are your friends, and there are other scanner options that are easier to use, albeit not free.
swetbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2020, 11:56   #1061
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetbak View Post
Well, those are a nice tool and resource, but not essential. I've been wrenching on my 335d for 3yrs now and never used either. A good forum and Google/YouTube are your friends, and there are other scanner options that are easier to use, albeit not free.
I first bought a Foxwell scanner and later BimmerGeeks ProTool app on my Android phone with their bluetooth OBD adapter. I really like ProTool.

Anything those two tools can't accomplish typically is a procedure I wouldn't attempt myself anyway.

The BMW community doesn't really have anything with the combination of functionality and user-friendliness as VAG COM though. VW folks are a bit spoiled in that regard.

Last edited by Blue_Hen_TDI; July 9th, 2020 at 12:00.
Old July 9th, 2020, 12:03   #1062
mjez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post

The BMW community doesn't really have anything with the combination of functionality and user-friendliness as VAG COM though. VW folks are a bit spoiled in that regard.
ISTA. Compared to vcds I believe it's much better tool. It actually guides you through the diagnostic and repair steps, something I've never had in vcds

Old July 9th, 2020, 12:05   #1063
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
ISTA. Compared to vcds I believe it's much better tool. It actually guides you through the diagnostic and repair steps, something I've never had in vcds

Fair enough. I couldn't figure out how to get ISTA installed. I guess if you can get over that hurdle, perhaps it becomes user friendly.

Old July 11th, 2020, 10:35   #1064
capt_slow
Veteran Member

Quote:

+1

I've used both tools and I like ISTA because:
  • Guided troubleshooting and diagnostics
  • Tool will command certain functions within the car so you dont need to do it manually (e.g. sending test tones to the speakers or forcing the i3's REX engine to run)
  • ECU programming and upgrading I-Step

That said, VCDS and ISTA are for two different audiences. Former is a 3rd party tool for enthusiasts while the latter is a OEM tool.
Old July 11th, 2020, 13:47   #1065
mjez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
+1

I've used both tools and I like ISTA because:
  • Guided troubleshooting and diagnostics
  • Tool will command certain functions within the car so you dont need to do it manually (e.g. sending test tones to the speakers or forcing the i3's REX engine to run)
  • ECU programming and upgrading I-Step

That said, VCDS and ISTA are for two different audiences. Former is a 3rd party tool for enthusiasts while the latter is a OEM tool.
Don't forget something as simple as bleeding diesel lines after fuel filter replacement so one does not have to crank it for extended time period causing high pressure pump to run without any lubrication.