DSG Fluid change questions

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Not a total newbie, I've done a DSG fluid change on a MK6 JSW and it made it at least another 12,000 miles and back to VW. Do I need to provide a backup 12 volt power source while I've got the battery out? And is anything different from the MK6?

thanks in advance, Diana

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You don't need to provide a power source while the battery is out. Maybe the radio will lose the preset stations or something, but nothing bad will happen to the car.

There's nothing really difficult about changing the DSG fluid. It's the same as a Mk6 in the sense that you drain fluid out the bottom by removing the plug and the plastic tube, then put the tube back and refill with new fluid.

Are you going to fill from the bottom, or will you try the gravity fill method through the filter housing after measuring the amount of fluid that came out?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
You're right, was pretty similar to the MK.6. I did the measure and weight top fill method, took about 4.5 liters. Got it filled and closed up today, tomorrow I'll put the battery and other stuff back in and see if I screwed up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Radio will keep presets, clock and trip counter will be reset though.

Also tons of ABS based errors will pop up on the dash but disappear in 2-3 min of driving.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Instead of measuring what came out is there any reason why you couldn't just drain, then put the stand pipe back in and top fill till it starts to dribble out over the stand pipe, then put plug in, warm to proper temp, pull plug and let excess dribble out?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Top fill is reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyyyy slow. Like at least 5-7minutes for just 1L.

But if you are doing the top-fill method, certainly nothing wrong with dumping in 5L or whatever first from the top, then running the engine to heat it up. That's how I did mine the first time before I got the connector for doing the bottom/pressure fill.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
My main interest is doing it the least messy way

By far filling from underneath, with the appropriate screw in adapter. You put “all of the fluid in,” leaving the filler hose connected. Run the car to temp. When you’re at temp remove the hose and plug with your thumb. Then put the drain plug back in. Done. Put the hose back into the fluid bottle and reuse next time.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
It's a little pricey for what it is, but will pay for itself after 1 use. Just watch the excellent video on the idparts web site on how to change the DSG fluid. The job is very straight forward and easy to do, even without a lift - I used ramps. The hardest part is putting the battery back in (mine had a battery blanket which made it a tight fit).

I did it in December when it was cold, but I put the new fluid containers in some hot water to warm them up, so that the fluid will flow quicker.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
While I haven't made use of it yet, I bought a 2-gallon garden sprayer, replacing the hose with that clear ¼" (?) tubing, and then the DSG drain adapter on the end.
$30 total ($10 for drain adapter, $20 for garden sprayer).

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
It's a little pricey for what it is, but will pay for itself after 1 use. Just watch the excellent video on the idparts web site on how to change the DSG fluid. The job is very straight forward and easy to do, even without a lift - I used ramps. The hardest part is putting the battery back in (mine had a battery blanket which made it a tight fit).

I did it in December when it was cold, but I put the new fluid containers in some hot water to warm them up, so that the fluid will flow quicker.

wouldn't you have to get it off the ramps and level so that the right amount of oil drips out?

also, how important is the engine's temperature at the time of draining the excess oil? I have heard it both ways, but mostly is not critical...

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
My driveway slopes downward just enough so that when on ramps the car is level.
The temperature should just be at 100F or so or warmer for the extra fluid to flow freely. 100F is pretty much body temperature. I don't think it matters if it is a little higher.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
The temperature should just be at 100F or so or warmer for the extra fluid to flow freely. 100F is pretty much body temperature. I don't think it matters if it is a little higher.

so basically front wheels on the downward of slope?

smart!!!!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pretty much ambient temp here. 104 or so for several weeks now. Perfect DSG fluid/filter change weather!

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I tore everything apart to find I had the wrong adaptor for the bottom fill, ordered the above funnel and adaptor and am waiting for it to arrive.
Car will be torn apart for a week plus, any problems here? Others then dash lights at first start up?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Going to do mine in the morning. Watched the videos but did not specifically see one with a MK7 TDI. On the MK7 TDI what all has to be removed on the top side in order to get the battery and battery tray out?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Since nobody answered I'll fill in the blank for anyone reading this in the future, yes the air box and a couple pieces if the intake air ducting have to come out in order to remove the battery tray.
In other news I did my 40K service today but couldn't quite finish because of a problem with my air box that I'll start another thread on.
I was able to get my car a foot off the ground (and perfectly level) which made it real nice.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i know the adaptation procedure needs to be performed after the fluid change, but there isnt any clear instruction for this particular dsg transmission model ( 0D9 i believe) on mk7 tdis, but there is for the older one

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I hadn't heard about it, I used OBDeleven to get my temp for fluid level but I did not perform the DSG reset, is that what you are referring to? It shifted soft and lazy at first but within less than a mile it was back to normal. From what I understand you can do a reset anytime, it just wipes out the "learned" data in the control module and starts from scratch to adapt to your driving patterns.