Pulling a Trailer with a TDI

Strack

Veteran Member
Has anyone pulled a boat trailer with their TDI. I'm thinking of picking up my first boat, but was wondering how the TDI holds up in these situations. The boat is about 2300lbs, don't know if it exceeds VW max limits??

Tazzman

Veteran Member
Your not going to believe this
but
I tow a bass boat
trailer and motor
1800bls
no problems but millage goes down fast
and I tow a double skidoo trailer with a skidoo and a pup. not problemo.

especial now with it being Upsoluted and T.B.

Tazz

JS SMKN

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've done my share of trailer towing (LOTS), but the most I've towed is 1500 lbs, and I wouldn't want to tow much more than that. Check your owners manual and see what the towing rating is for engines other than the TDI - this gives an indication of what they feel the chassis is good for.

In addition, I don't think you can get anything other than a Class 1 hitch for these cars in North America, and those are only rated up to 2000 lbs towed weight / 200 lbs tongue weight.

Furthermore, if you ever have to pull that boat out of the water on a slippery inclined boat ramp, what's going to happen? The thing you're trying to drag out weighs more than what you're pulling it out with (remember, 2-wheel-drive car, so what's on the rear wheels counts as what you're dragging not what you're pulling with). I've never tried it, but I can imagine the results.

I normally wouldn't be concerned about towing small trailers, but I dunno about this particular application...

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

JeffT

Veteran Member
I have a similar boat. I have a hitch on my Jetta.

Would I consider towing it around town in order to move the boat? Yes.

Would I take it on the occasional trip? Maybe.

Would I use my TDI to launch the boat on a boat ramp? Not on your life!!

The Jetta is too small a car to try that. Pulling it around town, jockeying a boat into your yard, filling a utility trailer with trash to go to the dump are all fine. Much beyond that is too much to ask.

Strack

Veteran Member
Looks like I'm going to need a tow vehicle for this application.. I never thought about the fact that the boat is heavier than the vehicle itself...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, it isn't quite heavier, but it is pretty close. And on that incline of the boat ramp....

Another forum member tried exactly that - he drove to the coast from inland and tried to tow a boat home. An hour after leaving the dealership, he was back and unwound the sale. The car just couldn't tow it.

You are wise to get another tow vehicle.

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

Essayon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Auto, Silver
That may be a bit heavy for a TDI to get out of the water, it depends on the ramp. I towed thousands of miles and launched hunderds of times with my Rabbits, only had problems 1~2 times. When I was a kid I tried retrieving our boat with a Dasher on a steep ramp, had to have a bystander sit on the hood for the extra weight and traction. From then on the 411 was the launch vehicle of choice.

Go buy an SUV for towing.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
In the UK the experts tell us not to tow a trailer that is more than 85% the weight of the car.

This is for towing stability, so as not to get into a snake.

Another issue is weight distribution. Heavy items should be over the trailer axle and definetely not behind the axle, which can be a problem with boats if they have an engine at the back...

Lastly diesels do seem to have more traction than petrol engines.

Also my dad has a hand winch with a tow ball on the end of it. He can park the car at the top of the ramp and put blocks under the front wheels, parking brake on hard, and attach the winch to the car, then winch the trailer up.

I've also seen old LandRovers with a towball on the front of the vehicle for manouvring trailers around. Now there's a thought...

------------------
SuperChipped 96 Passat TDI wagon
See my Peugeot / Passat site

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Towing with a TDI on the open road is no problem let's say up to 2500 pounds. But if you are trying to pull something in this case a boat up a steep slick boat ramp, forget it. I agree if the mission is to pull a boat on a regular basis you may want to put an order in for VW's Colorado V10 TDI SUV
!

It can't be stressed enough how important it is to load your trailer properly. Heavy item over or just forward of the trailer axle, light stuff behind the axle and slightly heavy item on the front of the trailer. You want the center of gravity forward of the axle, the farther forward you go the more stable your trailer will be under tow. As that center of gravity approaches the axle the trailer losses it's stability rapidly and may take off on you when you hit a bump at highway speeds. Take your time and load it right. Figure if your car is rated at a 200 pound tongue weight keep that tongue weight as close to 200 pounds as you can.

DB

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks for the solid info.. I may have the boat delivered to the marina instead of towing it myself, since I plan to leave it in the water all season anyway.. I really don't want to sell the TDI and buy a SUV, not now anyway...

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
The view here in the UK is to aim for a noseweight (tongue weight) of about 7% of the trailer weight, with the proviso that the maximum acceptable weight on the ball / hitch as stated by the VEHICLE manufacturer is not exceeded. In the UK brochures for the Golf etc a maximum of 75 kg noseweight is stated. If we take 85% of the vehicle's unladen weight of 1239kg approx. (see Christi's post above) we arrive at a max safe trailer weight of 1053kg approx.

7% of that gives 74 kg as a max noseweight, which ties in almost exactly with VW's stated limit of 75 kg.

The problem across the pond is that a hitch rated to more than 2000lb (909kg) does not appear to exist. Also, I'd ignore the 200lb noseweight stated for the US hitches - it exceeds VW's UK brochure figure by a margin of 21%! I'm afraid the hitch manufacturers over there have a great deal to learn about technical matters and good design - frankly, they are clueless as far as VWs are concerned; their "holes drilled in the trunk floor" nonsense is a technical disgrace when VW provides superb, solid mounting points which do not require a single hole to be drilled.

[This message has been edited by Richard P (edited February 02, 2001).]

TDiIbiza

I quite often tow trailers that weigh just under 1000kg and 35ft long with my Ibiza TDi. I find the engine has no problems with the weight and as long as you keep the speed down (<60mph) and have approx 30kg nose weight then stability isn't a problem either. The wheels on the Ibiza are right at the back which also helps prevent any snaking.

Marissa

Guys I towed a 2600 lb boat and trailer to the lake 3miles away for the last eight years with a 1.6liter SOHC toyota corolla FX16. You should have seen em look at me pulleing that boat down the road and at the ramp. Let me explain some of my experiences. I dropped the boat from two different ramps. One's alot more inclinded which so I had to always set the tires on the dry pavement between the tires of the previous cars or else the tire would just spin and slid sidways. STOP if it starts sliding or the whole car will end up in the lake. So then one day while sitting among some schooling fish pulling em up left and right. My thumb was bleeding from all the bass I'd held by their mouth. I cast 13 times and pulled fish in each one with a Baby Torpedo. The fricking hook were bent sideways by the end of the day. Well it started to drizzle and I realized sh&* how am I gonna get the boat out??? I flew back to the ramp at about 60mph in the bass boat. Keep in mind while towing I could only get up to 50mph on the short stretch of Interstate 635 here in Dallas. Well needless to say by the time got tied off and backed I was screwed. It was coming down like cats and dogs. I backed up and loaded the boat on the trailer and obviously couldn't find any dry conrete to lay the front tires on. They just spun moving up a little. Two guys had to help me get it up by pushing my car to help a little. I don't use that ramp anymore. The less inclined one is my favorite. However less slope means I have to back up farther and then the rear floor boards end up lower than the water so you gotta launch and get out in a short time. My big problem after the second head gasket and 150kmiles I couldn't get it over 45MPH with the A/C and 50MPH w/o on that 2mile stretch of interstate. SO i just used my flashers and got off ASAP to use the service road. JUST REMEMBER ONE THING B R A K E E A R L Y !!!
ANOTHER THING DON"T TRY THIS WITH WORN TIRES OR YOU"LL END UP IN THE LAKE.

ALso, yOu will not stop that fast with twice the weight in the back. I havn't pulled the boat with my new golf yet but I have the hitch on and ready. You will need a 4 inch raised hitch and a 2 inch raise ball on top if putting it on and off with the trailer wheel jack. That hitch is mounted under the back so low ~12inches from the gound. DRIVE CAREFULLY especially if it's wet outside!

PS. My Corolla handled the boat better than the Explorer we have. Except for accelleratiion and top speed.

[This message has been edited by Marissa (edited February 05, 2001).]

Gammon

TDI
2001, Silver Jetta
This is an interesting topic.

I have the intentions of towing a boat and trailer combined weight of a little over 1,000 pounds. The trailer can tow up to 2100 pounds. The trailer has thirteen inch wheels and my new Jetta (if it ever shows up)
after listenign to all this I am now wondering if this is a good idea. i have to travel about two hours with the boat one way to water.

JeffT

Veteran Member
Strack, we have a 2500 lb boat and I don't have a trailer. They store it for me, launch it for me and take it out for me. Otherwise when its not in storage it at the slip. Waiting to be used!!!

Strack

Veteran Member
The boat dealer is about an hour or so from the marina where I will tie down for the season. I'll probably dry dock it there as well for winter, so I'll only really need to tow it once a year at best. Perhaps the dealer will throw in delivery if I cut the deal in the middle of winter and I can avoid the whole towing process.

VW does not specify towing weights or guidelines in our owners manual, not in mine anyway.. I can only imagine the misinformation the dealer will provide me with, but I'll call a few just to satisfy my curiosity...

Gevaert

Veteran Member
Last year there was a huge discussion on towing with a TDI, all without any problem, only when you want to drive in a hurry you've to check the temp gauge or buy the car with an extended cooling system (this is way the towing hook is so expensive at VW). Just search teh archive on name and towing.

------------------
Seat Alhambra Luxe TDI 115hp

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Gammon - 1000 lb boat and trailer - should be no problem, this weighs considerably less than the tow vehicle.

2300 lb boat that the others were talking about - expect big trouble.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

Strack

Veteran Member
I called my local dealer to request VW towing specifications for my A4 Jetta. My local dealer referred me to VWOA's toll free customer assistance since VW does not recommend towing with any of their vehicles.. After calling VWOA for the correct specs and weights, I was put on hold for 10 minutes while they tried to figure out how to respond. The rep came back on the line, read me the owners manual stating that VW does not recommend towing a trailer with any of their vehicles. To add insult to injury, VWOA stated that I should consult a trailer hitch shop for specs and technical information since they do not provide any for their owners...

These guys at VWOA are useless in many respects.. I requested that I would like to talk with one of their engineers about towing with my TDI and was told that was not company policy...

Gammon

TDI
2001, Silver Jetta
At Agincourt VW in Toronto.
The saleman mentioned that he has a water scooter on a trailer which he tows all over with his tdi and has no problems. I wondered if he is just trying to sell the car or is it true.
Another dealer Cederbrae in Scarborough installls towing equipment with the wiring harness for about can$350 for the tdi jetta. But the VW books do not have any information about towing?

I Think in about two years I'll put one on.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
The following info is from a VW Golf4 manual for Croatia. It is from 1998.

AUTO means automatic transmission,

MAN means manual transmission.

It also says that maximal weight on the head of the hook must not be more than
75 kg / 165 lbs, and that minimal load on the hook's head MUST be 4% of the
real connected load (trailer), but doesn't have to be more than 25 kg / 55 lbs.

It says that it is advisable to use the maximal pressure on the head's hook.

"Notes:

These values are for German market and the values for your country may vary.
The priority is always on the side of the official vehicle documentation.</p>

According to the 92/21 EWG guideline (edition 95/48/EZ) maximum total weight
of the tow vehicle can be greater for only 50 kg / 110 lbs while towing, but
then the maximal speed must be 100 km/h / 62 mph</p>

Because of safety the one shouldn't drive faster than 80 km/h / 50 mph. That
is for countrys with bigger top speeds allowed too.</p>

The unloaded vehicle weight enlarges because of accessories(clima, towing device,
etc.) so one should have that in mind too when thinking about the max total
weight."</p>

"Attention:

Maximum allowed loads of the axles MUST NOT be exceeded in ANY case.

..."</p>

I hope you will find this info helpful. The original values were in km/h and
kg, so all calculations were made assuming that 1 km/h is 0,6213711922 mph,
and 1 kg is equal to 2,204622622 pounds, and a pound is lbs. I hope you'll excuse
my bad English. In my country VW offers the original VW hook as additional equipment.
I really don't know if these values are the same for your version of vehicles.</p>

<table border="1" width="74%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> <p align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">Trailer without brakes</font></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> <p align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">Trailer with brakes for climb up to 12%</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">Allowed value in:</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">kg</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">lbs</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">kg</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">lbs</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">Gasoline engines</font></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">55-kW</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">550</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1212</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1000</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2205</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"> </td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">550</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1212</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1000</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2205</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">74-kW</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">580</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1279</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1200</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2646</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"> </td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">580</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1279</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1200</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2646</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">92-kW</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1200</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2646</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="25"> </td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center" height="25"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="25"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="25"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="25"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1300</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="25"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2866</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">110-kW</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1300</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2866</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">- 1.8 L</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1500</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">3307</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">110-kW</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">650</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1433</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1500</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">3307</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">- 2.3 L V5</font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">650</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1433</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1500</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><font face="Verdana" size="2">3307</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"><font face="Verdana" size="2">Diesel engines</font></td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#F4F4FF"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">50-kW <font color="#C0C0C0">SDI</font></font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" ize="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">500</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1102</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">850</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1874</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">66-kW <font color="#C0C0C0">TDI</font></font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#999999" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1300</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2866</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#999999"> </td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#999999" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">AUTO</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1300</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#999999"><font face="Verdana" size="2">2866</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">81-kW <font color="#C0C0C0">TD</font><font color="#FF0000">I</font></font></td> <td width="7%" bgcolor="#808080" align="center"><font face="Verdana" size="2">MAN</font></td> <td width="5%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">600</font></td> <td width="24%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1323</font></td> <td width="27%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">1400</font></td> <td width="22%" align="center" bgcolor="#808080"><font face="Verdana" size="2">3086</font></td> </tr></table>

Golf4 TDI 90hp Stock

[This message has been edited by PTC (edited February 08, 2001).]

mainetdi

I am planning to tow a boat WT 1500-1800LBS including trailer wt. Any suggestions on the best trailer hitch US or Euro appreciated. Thanks! Ted

mainetdi

I am planning to tow a boat WT 1500-1800LBS including trailer wt. Any suggestions on the best trailer hitch US or Euro appreciated. Thanks! Ted (Golf 2001 TDI)

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
As Gevaert says there was much discussion about towing last year. If anybody can remember the name of any of the theads it will help Strack and others as searching is getting to be a long process these days with the popularity of Fred's site.

I think the "Towing with a TDI" thread got some good posts.

Towing always seems to provoke a good response, perhaps it would make good archive material?

I tow a trailer weighing about a ton (2240 pounds) with my Eurovan Transporter 2.5 5 cyl.

The hitch (or towbar as it's known in the UK) seems to be an important issue here. The Euro standard is quite high, perhaps because of the heavy boats and also caravans (Trailers in the US) we love to tow through our narrow roads. I know Richard has been less than impressed with the construction of some US hitches.

I must admit I'm a guilty party in towing large objects on crowded roads, and you can see mine in the "Other TDI/Diesels" section.

Of course, having all that tourque and 106hp under my foot I leave 'em all standing and never hold anyone up

There's quite a bit more knowledge and experience still to be aired on the towing subject, particularly stabilizers and electrical issues so here's to a non-controversial topic for once

Brodie

[This message has been edited by Brodie (edited February 08, 2001).]

Marissa

You can buy a hitch online and pay more than if you just have it installed at a Uhaul. Yes this is for real. I priced them between 145$ and 180 on the internet than had one put on my 2000 Golf GLS in Dec for $135 including tax.

If you have to drive great distances (>10miles) I don't reccommend pulling over the rated 1000lbs and 200lbx tonque weight. ***Don't do it in over drive you'l surely waste the transmission. Drive it in 3rd gear!

For short distances if you accelerating and braking gently you should be fine at 55-60mph upto 2000lbs AGAIN NOT IN OVERDRIVE! Use 3rd gear. If you stay off the hwy and keep it under 45mph short distance driving you should be able to pull the car weight 2800lbs.

Try to not to go over the rated 200lb tongue weight very much. These hitches from Uhaul mount on the new (2000&2001) Golf, jett, and bugs under the rear on the tow loop of one side and the two bolts of exhauset bracket on the other. I Wouldn't go over 250lbs.

The side mounted by the muffer is what I would be worried about breaking first. I don't think it will come off the tow loop so you woun't loose the trailer for sure.

[This message has been edited by Marissa (edited February 08, 2001).]

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Marissa - As I said above, you should NOT exceed the 75kg noseweight figure stated by VW (in their UK brochures). IGNORE the 200lb figure quoted by the hitch manufacturer, this is related to the CLASS of hitch & has nothing to do with the actual vehicle on which it is to be used. This is what makes the absurd N American classifications so confusing for the user.

The 250lb figure you mention represents 50% more than VW recommends. The car is simply not designed for this sort of overload.

KlakQuak

About a month ago I was looking for a source for good trailer hitches for my Beetle TDI since I want to pull my Sea-doo and make a rack for my bikes that would use a receiver hitch style hookup. What is on the market now is pretty sorry. The Draw-tite system is weak. The holes through the spare tire well are really lame but would work if you don't carry much of a load or don't mind a little wobble when you have bikes on it. What I really objected to, though, was the ugly square receiver hitch tube hanging down on an already very low car. I'd hate to always look at that thing AND/OR have it catch on something I was driving over. After consulting my NB shop manual, I decided I was going to develop a TOTALLY HIDDEN Receiver hitch system for my Beetle. From the illustrations it looked like it would be challenging but do-able. Under the plastic rear fenders, it appeared there was a big flat sheet metal area with what I hoped were ample attachment points for a hitch system. Once I had the plastic finders and bumpers off, it was apparent other attachment points must be used. So two weekends ago, I started the project. Believe me it was WAY more work than I anticipated but now it is done. The hitch is VERY strong (read overkill) and ties in directly to the frame rails of the car. It is stiff and sturdy and TOTALLY HIDDEN. I used the space under the rear bumper hat channel to connect the two shock towers for the bumpers. It allows the 5 mph bumper to still work but will only travel about 1 1/4 inch instead of the approximate 2 inch travel as stock. The receiver is vertical rather than the normal horizontal setup you usually see so the tongues you build will slide up rather than in. There is a remote hitch release to withdraw the pin from the hitch tube since you cannot reach the pin under the plastic bumper. This project is a huge task and took me two weekends and 3 evenings during the week between them. Some of that time was exploring ideas that ultimately did not work. You will need good metal working skill or the cooperation of someone who can do this for you and is not afraid of liability issues. There is minimal compromising of the original safety equipment on the car but this system is very stout and invisible.

First, here is how the hitch looks with the (almost finished) tongue installed on my very dirty red NB TDI. The top of the tongue is 12 1/2 inches from the ground, which is correct for my Sea-Doo trailer. I still need to add the safety chain attachment points on the tongue and some black paint.

This photo shows the full length of the square tongue tube that goes into the receiver part of the hitch. Note the size and position of the hole in the plastic bumper fascia. This hole is all that shows when the tongue is not inserted. Unless you get down on your knees, you do not even know it is there. I very carefully cut out this hole and have the piece of red painted plastic that came from it so I can make a plug to cover the hole completely when not in use. I may not even use it since it is almost un-noticeable the way it is now.
The hole in the square tube is where the retainer pin goes. It would be very easy to make this hitch up-and-down adjustable by drilling more holes in the tube. This hole is the correct height I need for my application.

Here is a shot of the tongue in operating position. It is actually 1/2 inch above the factory pull hook so it does not create any additional ground clearance problems when in use or not in use.

This is the pull ring for the spring loaded tongue retainer pin. It is located above the spare tire, behind the fold down portion of the spare tire cover, inside the car. When you install the tongue, you pull this ring out about 5 inches, push the tongue in part way and let go of the ring. When the holes in the tongue line up with the pin, the spring pops the pin in and the hitch is locked in. Pull the ring all the way out and the tongue drops out, leaving only the hole in the bottom of the bumper.

Here are a couple construction pictures so you understand how the system is attached to the car. The main modification is to the bumper shock towers, which are the foundation for the hitch. The plates that hold them in place are made from 1/4 inch steel and provide a sturdy place to weld to. I wanted to make the hitch system detachable so I welded brackets to the bumper shocks that the cross tube bolts to. The shock towers slide into square tubes formed by the inside of the frame of the car. I figured this would be the strongest place to mount the hitch. The problem is, the two bolts that hold the shock tower in place are NOT strong enough to pull from without some sort of re-inforcement. That is what the brackets are in the last photo. These brackets tie the bumper shock towers into the frame rail and are probably the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS SYSTEM. Without these brackets, the hitch would only be attached by the sheet metal on the back of the car, which is not nearly strong enough.

I also wanted to point out the pin chamber located on the right side of the down tube. This is where the spring loaded retainer pin retracts into when inserting or removing the tongue. The pin is actuated by an old snowmobile throttle cable attached to the ring, seen in an earlier photo. The cross tube is very close to the back of the car and some modification to the two rear plastic vents is needed for clearance. The cross tube is designed to allow the steel factory 5 mph bumper to work MOSTLY without interference. The bumper shocks look like they were designed to move about 2 inches and my system will allow for about 1 1/2 inches of travel. The bottom part of the steel bumper has to be notched to keep the down tube from interfering with the bumper movement in the event of an accident. Please keep in mind, NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN CRASH TESTED SO IF YOU WISH TO RE-CREATE THIS DESIGN, YOU DOSO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

There are some refinements I would make to this system if I were building it again. It is VERY STRONG and stiff so there is no flexing or movement when you jump on the hitch. I still have to install the wiring for trailer lights. This project was MUCH bigger than I anticipated when starting it so be ready for a big project and make sure you have good metal working skills or know someone who does. After getting the fenders off, I was pretty much committed. In retrospect, think it is overbuilt for the capacity of the car and could be done using the same basic design but with lighter materials. The entire thing weighs around 13 pounds minus the tongue. If you want more information or more construction photos, you can contact me at lafeb@aol.com. I am interested in any feedback.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
A really professional looking job KlakQuak. That is a very clever design, and hidden too!

Perhaps you should consider selling your design to a hitch manufactuer. If you do though remember to count your fingers after you've shaken hands with them

The time and trouble taken by some folks to post great stuff like this never ceases to amaze me