Filter interchangeability?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Wrecked my 2013 JSW TDI Thursday, bought a 2015 A3 TDI yesterday. I had a bit of a stock built of of oil/fuel/air filters for the 2013. Can I use those on the Audi, or do I need new filters?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Did the 2015 come with a owners manual? The part numbers should be listed in there. Or then theres Google :)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
It did come with an owner's manual, but if it lists the part numbers I didn't see it. I'll check again.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
just took delivery of an '11 A3 sportback - manual only says 507 spec oil, nuthin about filters.
i'm perplexed that my '10 Golf came standard with Bluetooth (no nav), but my newer, fancier Audi doesn't... or an mdi cable. totally lame.
oh wait, didn't see the system supplement behind the manual... or the button on the steering wheel. one too many glasses of red last night ��

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Wrecked my 2013 JSW TDI Thursday, bought a 2015 A3 TDI yesterday. I had a bit of a stock built of of oil/fuel/air filters for the 2013. Can I use those on the Audi, or do I need new filters?
The oil needed and the oil filter will be exactly the same. The fuel filter might be the same. VW has used 2 different types of fuel filters in these TDIs and I am not sure which filter is used every car. The good news is that you can tell which filter you need by looking at the top cover of the fuel filter canister. This link shows you how to tell which filter you have/need. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/fuel-filter-replacement-2009-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-and-audi-a3-tdi/

Have Fun!

Don

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
That link doesn't cover the 2015 A3 (only up to 2014), but heading over to idparts.com shows a different (and considerably more expensive) filter for the A3 than for the 2013 JSW. Bother, but good to know. They also indicate a different oil filter. At least the 20L jug of oil I have will still work!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Oh yeah, I forgot about the new (2015) engines and their more difficult to replace oil filters (no more easy top side oil filter changes). For a 2015 model year you can probably ignore everything I said above. I don't know much about this new engine.

Have Fun!

Don

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
just took delivery of an '11 A3 sportback - manual only says 507 spec oil, nuthin about filters.
i'm perplexed that my '10 Golf came standard with Bluetooth (no nav), but my newer, fancier Audi doesn't... or an mdi cable. totally lame.
oh wait, didn't see the system supplement behind the manual... or the button on the steering wheel. one too many glasses of red last night ��
You'll likely notice quite a few small convenience features are absent on your A3 compared to even base model VW's. The steering wheel controls and driver information center are also a big step down in my opinion. As far as filters go, the only filter that should be different between your Golf and A3 is the fuel filter. The CBEA in the A3 uses a different fuel filter that the CBEA in the 2009 VW's.

The 2015 A3 is a different animal, so I have no clue.

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
You'll likely notice quite a few small convenience features are absent on your A3 compared to even base model VW's. The steering wheel controls and driver information center are also a big step down in my opinion. As far as filters go, the only filter that should be different between your Golf and A3 is the fuel filter. The CBEA in the A3 uses a different fuel filter that the CBEA in the 2009 VW's.

The 2015 A3 is a different animal, so I have no clue.
agreed on the controls overall, although maybe the upside is that i won't be tempted to fiddle with them as much!
paddle shifters are all i really had to have, so i'm content. also noticing right away that the hesitation off the line is not present on the A3 - transmission must be tuned better/differently? feels like a more efficient, performance tune anyway.
thanks for the heads up on the FF

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New platform, new engine. Fuel, oil, air, and cabin filters are all different.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
You will be cursing VW/Audi for where they decided to put the oil filter on the 2015 A3, I curse it just thinking about it...

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know of a video or photo walkthrough on the oil change? A quick Google search didn't find one. I expect it will be fairly self-evident once I get into it, but it'd be nice to have an idea of where things are first if possible.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Answering my own question, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSFG6ko3oc is for a 2015 Jetta TDI, and I'd guess it'd be relevant for an A3 as well. Yuck. At least there's a drain plug on the filter cover, if I can fit something under it to catch the oil...

I guess the oil could be removed from the top side anyway, but I'd still need to get under the car for the filter. Now, about that lift...

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Answering my own question, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSFG6ko3oc is for a 2015 Jetta TDI, and I'd guess it'd be relevant for an A3 as well. Yuck. At least there's a drain plug on the filter cover, if I can fit something under it to catch the oil...
I guess the oil could be removed from the top side anyway, but I'd still need to get under the car for the filter. Now, about that lift...
I bought a pair of plastic ramps at Harbor Freight and use the heck out of them!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought a pair of plastic ramps at Harbor Freight and use the heck out of them!
Sure, but a lift would be so much more convenient! Have to do a lot of oil changes to pay for it, though...

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3

Geez! What the hell were they smoking when they did that!? The only thing I hate more than these canister filters is an upside down one! 2micron needs to make a kit to either flip this around or convert it to a spin on!