Debating between an Automatic or Manual 2011 Jetta TDI

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So, I am still waiting to hear from my insurance company, but I think I may just fork out the extra cash/take a small 6k loan to get a new vehicle rather than used since I cannot find any used TDI for a good price.

I am in Houston Texas BTW.

Do the automatic DSG have alot of issues that should make me consider buying manual? I have driven manual all my life, and I am ready for automatic now since I do alot of driving, and Houston can be stop and go ALOT. Plus, I just WANT automatic. But, I don't want the DSG if there are alot of issues with it like I read up. So, is manual the way to go? Does gas mileage change significantly if I get manual vs automatic?

116 ads in the Houston Craigslist today for TDI. Bunch of repeats in there but also some decent sounding cars. Sounds like you have 20k to spend and a lot there under that amount.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2154907604.html 5 speed

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2155359756.html 5 speed

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2155734496.html 5 speed

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2153859543.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2153262207.html DSG

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2151342000.html DSG

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2148470612.html DSG

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2147875352.html DSG Beetle

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I did not post in this thread claiming to a VW master mechanic, nor do I even feel that I am well enough educated about VW to give expert advice, but what I am a seasoned veteran of is all things automotive related. That said I feel comfortable saying that unless someone with a MKVI post in this thread that their DSG transmission has failed due to normal use, then every post in this thread is hearsay.
Sigh ...... please do not use legal terms in the real world. Hearsay is an out of court statement offered into evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted. WTH does that have to do with someone's opinion of the dsg on a car forum :rolleyes: ........ BTW, Oilhammer's opinion, unlike your own on this subject matter, would carry weight in Court --- him being a certified master mechanic and all .......

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
I love my DSG. 2006 160,000 miles and going strong with regular maintenace. I keep hearing all the bad and high cost. Even if mine goes at 200,000 I'll do a DSG again. Id pay twice that to not have to drive a manual in the city everyday. I love my diesel and automatic. If someone is so scared of cost-maintenace, buy a bottom line suzuki and drive it into the ground for half the cost of vw. Im tired of hearing someones neighbors babysitters second cousins mailman had a pos dsg. Of the 10 DSG's I know of not one has had a problem and all well over 100,000. just my $ .02 LOVE MY DSG

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Sigh ...... please do not use legal terms in the real world. Hearsay is an out of court statement offered into evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted. WTH does that have to do with someone's opinion of the dsg on a car forum :rolleyes: ........ BTW, Oilhammer's opinion, unlike your own on this subject matter, would carry weight in Court --- him being a certified master mechanic and all .......
And just when I thought I was done? Last time I checked the definition, hearsay is information gathered by one person from another concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience. Now we have a total of one first person account of the DSG in this thread and over twenty hearsay accounts of the problems DSG have. Im not here to discredit Oilhammer, I am saying that the OP was asking owners of DSG and Manuals to come forward and debate about the pros and cons of the transmission choice offered by VW. Not talk about what they heard or saw on youtube.

THIS!

I love my DSG. 2006 160,000 miles and going strong with regular maintenace. I keep hearing all the bad and high cost. Even if mine goes at 200,000 I'll do a DSG again. Id pay twice that to not have to drive a manual in the city everyday. I love my diesel and automatic. If someone is so scared of cost-maintenace, buy a bottom line suzuki and drive it into the ground for half the cost of vw. Im tired of hearing someones neighbors babysitters second cousins mailman had a pos dsg. Of the 10 DSG's I know of not one has had a problem and all well over 100,000. just my $ .02 LOVE MY DSG

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
my 2001 still has the original 01M auto tranny, with the car having 360000kms on it. yes, there are issues when the car runs cold, but it still shifts ok.

the dsg should be fine for a daily commuter who doesn't regularly go up and down the gears in city traffic all that often. i suspect that is the reason why my old car still runs on its original auto tranny. i also didn't go WOT with the old car.

that being said, i chose the 6MT for several reasons:
- like to try something new.
- a theft deterent to some would-be thieves who can't drive stick.
- lower rpm in 6th than the dsg.
- more control over the car for when i want it to shift down or up.
- no complete tranny swap to think about when i hit 360000kms again.
- a need to learn stick for the times i will vacation in europe.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
~JB says no hearsay and then quotes CARTMATT's hearsay about ten other people he knows.

Some like autos and some prefer manuals. Let it go at that. The DSG's aren't dropping like flys, so it's a personal choice. Pick the one you like and move on. No one is going to change their mind here.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
While we are on the subject of hearsay, from what I understand, anything said or written by even a certified VW mechanic :)eek:) would be considered hearsay in court if that mechanic is not present to testify and be cross examined.

Hearsay does not infer that the source of the information is wrong or it originator has no qualifications, it just means that person's opinion cannot be questioned, scrutinized, and put to the test. Anyone who hears what that person and repeats (says) in court is obviously not able to speak to it. The original person who said it hasn't stood in front of a judge and taken an oath. That is why hearsay is not considered evidence. At least not in this province.

Anne Boyln, King Henry VIII's second wife had her head chopped off due to hearsay evidence obtained through the threat and use of torture.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Count me in the group of folks who love the DSG and haven't had any troubles! It takes some time to get used to the shifting behavior, but otherwise I quickly grew to love it. In fact, the transmission now seems to perform better than it did when brand new. I'll report back if something causes me to change my opinion.

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
Auto versus Manual

Doesn't it come back to the question of whether all drivers are committed to the manual? If not, the manual choice is out of the question, regardless of the merits. A few years ago I injured my shoulder and would have never been able to drive had I owned a manual. I am glad there are choices for each side to enjoy. By the way, I love my DSG!

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
I am considering those cars. The only problem I have really is, they have high miles on it. I drive 100 miles a day at MINIMUM five days a week. It is usually close to 140 miles a day. Many times, I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Anyways... I am still on the fence for DSG/Manual. A plus to DSG is re-sale value... selling it to people who doesn't know how to drive manual, but as someone said earlier, many TDI owners like manual. It's 1k cheaper for a manual too...

BTW: I can get a new DSG 2011 TDI Jetta Sedan for 25,900 out the door, or a manual for 1k cheaper. These good prices, or do you think I can get them lower?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Search for the guy here from Langhorne (sp?). He has sold many here cars at great deals from the comments. If I had a choice I would buy new so I wouldn't have to worry about previous owners choices.

This guy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=27618

Most used cars will all have high miles as that is the type driver that usually buys them. Don't let my few links lead you astray either. Search Craigslist yourself, something good might be closer to you than across the continent. At least Texas doesn't see snow often and rust isn't much of an issue here. Good luck and which ever trans you pick will probably do well if serviced correctly.

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
Lightflyer1, I am looking... I am finding OLDER cars... 2006 with high miles. I need 30kish miles... so we will see. I may just buy new, who knows! Thanks though!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
2006 with that low miles will be few and far between. When you do find one it will be at a premium unless you just luck out. I just looked at a 2003 Beetle in Houston they wanted 11k for it. No way. 40k miles though. Good luck!

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
Haha, you're in Round Rock, Tx? I drive through there alot (on my way to Brownswood, or San Angelo... Or Lubbock...) haha!

I think I may go new. Who knows.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
BTW: I can get a new DSG 2011 TDI Jetta Sedan for 25,900 out the door, or a manual for 1k cheaper. These good prices, or do you think I can get them lower?

Out the door for $25,900? If thats what you can really get it for, what are you waiting on?

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
Out the door for $25,900? If thats what you can really get it for, what are you waiting on?
The car to come in. hehe...

I am actually also thinking... if I can get a navi for 1,200 extra... so 27,100 out the door (Jetta TDI, 2011, DSG with navi) then maybe. But I like the 25.9 better.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
The car to come in. hehe...

I am actually also thinking... if I can get a navi for 1,200 extra... so 27,100 out the door (Jetta TDI, 2011, DSG with navi) then maybe. But I like the 25.9 better.
I dont know about Texas, but her in the AZ (phx metro) there are only four major VW dealers, so my options here were very limited. I walked out the door with mine for 28k. My TDI is completely loaded has DSG, navi, options, and tint. So I would say that your right in the ballpark for a good deal.

Many dealers know that the TDI's will sell given enough time, so they wont let them go to low. I lucked out, mine had just been unloaded off the truck the night before I bought it, still wrapped in plastic and had not made it to the dealers website yet.

The easiest way to compare here on the forums will probably be vehicle sales price, because taxes and fees vary from state to state, and country.

Goodluck, either way you will be happy.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Factory Navigation in my opinion is a rip off. Over priced, usually out of date, expensive to update and from my reading problematic at times. My phone, laptop, tablet and a $75 used Garmin all seem to do very well. I can update the DeLorme software for $40. Last OEM update I saw for my brothers car was $300 for a set of discs.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
And just when I thought I was done? Last time I checked the definition, hearsay is information gathered by one person from another concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience. Now we have a total of one first person account of the DSG in this thread and over twenty hearsay accounts of the problems DSG have. Im not here to discredit Oilhammer, I am saying that the OP was asking owners of DSG and Manuals to come forward and debate about the pros and cons of the transmission choice offered by VW. Not talk about what they heard or saw on youtube.

THIS!
Hearsay is a legal term. You can also quote Star Trek Federation Regulations if you like. Neither has any place on a car forum. Live long and prosper ..........

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I think one of the reasons why you're not hearing about bad DSG experiences on this thread is because of where the thread is posted and a lot of owners that have complained about it are not checking in here. Well, you can add me to the list that don't like it. Just to let you know, there's a campaign going on to replace the MU's in ones built from mid '07 to mid '09 due to bad shifting.

My first DSG was in the '06. It clunked when shifting and had a shutter now and then, but it was great when compared to the way the one in the '09 drives. I've never heard so many noises come out of a trans, and it's bucked in the low gears from day one. I've had a VW QTM and a VW engineer in the car and had the trans practically snap their necks, but they just towed the VW line and pronounce the shifting "normal".

Even though it was "normal", VW had the dealer change the fluid a couple of times and replace the MU, but to no avail. To top it off, the techs that have driven the car told VW that it doesn't shift right, but to no avail. Well, hopefully, my car will be one of the ones that receives the updated MU, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe VW has learned from the mistakes they deny and have actually made the DSG a better transmission, but I doubt I'll ever buy another new VW muchless a DSG equipped one.

If you want more opinions on the DSG, browse thru the following link. It's used in more VW's than just the TDIs.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?988-DSG-and-S-tronic-Transmission-Forum

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
OK, I am reading so many horror stories about the DSG... makes me want to know more about it. It seems to be a hit or miss about the DSG... either works great or not. Is there a way when test driving the vehicle to see if the DSG is bad or not?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A long test drive in the city and on the highway, using D, S and Tip, may help to see if there are any demons hiding in there.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
ok so couple of things i noticed driving wife's car tonight.

1- idle but in drive the DSG is at .9l/hr, manual is .7l/r
2- Doing 120kms the DSG is at 2200 rpm, manual is 1900rpm.

So having said that, it could explain why i'm getting better mileage then the wife, but its still weird, bc VW says they both have the exact same consumption!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
The DSG is your only choice

I think so, I really want to take wife's car out for a long drive but she can't drive standard so
she needs her car. I think if I get on the highway, the numbers should be the same since
the 6th gear ratios are very close to each other.
:)

That's not so. They are indeed not close!

The later 6 MTs have much higher overall ratios than the 2009 and later DSGs.

i e The 6 MTs turn approximately 1663 rpms at 60 MPH.

The DSGs turn considerably more at approximately 1934 rpms at 60 MPH.

The faster you go, the wider the spread becomes of course.

That's the main reason that the 6 MTs are capable and getting better MPG.

BTW, I love my DSG and would not have a manual. I can tell you that no one can beat
me with my DSG because it shifts faster than even the best race car driver!

Many 6 MT drivers are reporting having to stay in fifth speed at speeds up to 60 MPH
before being able to upshift to sixth gear as that's how high the 6 MTs are geared.

:D

D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But what am I looking for???
If it shifts like someone just learning to drive a clutch. If it does, you'll have to decide if it's something you want to live with.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Ok so couple of things I noticed driving wife's car tonight.

1- Idle but in drive the DSG is at .9l/hr, manual is .7l/r
2- Doing 120kms the DSG is at 2200 rpm, manual is 1900rpm.

So having said that, it could explain why I'm getting better mileage then the wife,
but its still weird, bc VW says they both have the exact same consumption!
:)

Here in Estados Unitos, VW does not say what the mileage is.
The EPA says and their guesstimates state the mileages which are indeed slightly different for the two transmissions. The one for the DSG is pretty close, but the other one, the one for the 6 MT is light years low and unchanged from their estimate for the MY 2009, and the ratios are now much taller for the later manual transmissions as the engine is turning 11 percent slower per mile at 60 mph than before.

The key word here is estimate.
Seems that they could have gotten it more realistic don't you think?

Many, including yours truly, can and do beat those estimates all the time. :p

:D

D

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I have owned several manuals and love them, but I would say that the DSG is a great for an auto. I switched jobs shortly after buying my last car, and getting stuck in stop and go traffic everyday with a big v8 and a 6spd got real old.
My mileage has been about the same, if you service the DSG yourself it will cost you $150 every 40k.
Btw when traveling I always request a stick for my rental, to feed my need.