Oil pan heater? Nope, a coolant heater!

glxke

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Ibiza TDI 130, 2002, flash red
I think a coolant heater is a much better choice then a oil pan heater. It uses only 0.25 liter per hour on fuel (of the car itself) en you can program this heater. Consequence: your cabin en coolant will be nicely heated when you drive away.
http://www.webasto.be/Fr/CE_TTop.htm

This site is only in the French or Dutch language.

------------------

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
and an idling running engine burns .3 liter's per hour.

But if it saves wear and no electrical sources are available and you don't want your engine on what the heck.

DB

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
glxke,, the fellows over there dont spell very well.. ;-)

Drivbiwire,, I dont think you have to idle the engine.. this appears to be a separtate unit mounted under the hood that you program to "fire up" at a preset time and warm up the coolant for the engine.. it runs off of 12volts and diesel from the tank..

back the the 50's vw had a aux gasoline heater that did pretty much the same thing except it only heated the passenger compartment. and was installed the the trunk next to the spare tire on the old beatle.

glxke

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Ibiza TDI 130, 2002, flash red
glxke ,, the fellows over there

"dont"

spell very well.. ;-)
Drivbiwire,, I dont think you have to idle the engine.. this appears to be a

"separtate"

Texasbill: read your own words, they are not perfect either!
pppp

------------------

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
THis sounds like the units we use on Charter buses. we progam the heater to come on an hour before we want to leave work and it runs just like a home oil furnace does only this just heats up the water in the block and rad. Never heard of on a car but don't see why it would'nt work

Gevaert

Veteran Member
Just look in all threaths for startup and heating when cold. On MPV's of Sharan,Galaxy and Alhambra are equipped with eberspaecher heaters, in US www.espar.com It's not hte D4W, standing for diesel 4KW Water but the stripped D3W, with an external diesel dosing pump and no water pump. So standard the motor must run, but there is an extention that can upgrade to work without the idling of the motor, manual start, programmeble start even remote controlled start. Just check there site. I think, this discussion is going on for more than three years now I'll take some pick of my new vehicle. The D3W is using 0.4l/h and in idle the motor is using between 1.2 and 0.8l/h

------------------
Seat Alhambra Luxe TDI 115hp

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
glxke,, was making fun of the french or what language that was on the web site.. couldnt read very much... meant no offense,, sorry..

but i agree that the coolant heaters make much more sense than an oil pan heater,,

especially with the new snythetic oils flowing easier.

a coolant heater provides less wear and tear on the engine,,

easier starting, better fuel economy

And a much happier driver and passengers..

not only do i not spell very well,, i type even worse... ;-)

the old beatles were way before ringo's time...

the old vw also used the air out of spare tire to "power" the windshield washer bottle..

clean windshield,, flat spare??

that was back when the 109 relay never overloaded...

on our farm equipment we always used block or coolant heaters but they were power by electricity..

which means you alway parked in the barn and never could leave equipment out in the field in cold weather..

[This message has been edited by TexasBill (edited February 06, 2001).]