Newest cheap 5w40 oil...motomaster

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
You don't get an "MB-Approval" on an oil bottle unless Mercedes Benz has approved the oil, it says it clearly on their website. There is a difference if you see "MB 229.3" versus "MB-Approval 229.3"

While motomaster currently cannot be found on their lists, there may be a few reasons.

a) they haven't updated their list yet to include motomaster, as it's still a relatively new oil on the market (the rebranded version that is, which came out sometime last year)... It's true that the most recent update of the list is March 5, 2021, so I am curious why they haven't put it on the list yet.

This leads me to propose option b)

Motomaster isn't actually approved, which would then be false advertising on the bottle, as it's clearly labelled "MB-Approval 229.3", versus MB 229.3 like on the supertech 5W-40 sold at walmart

I'm sure Mercedes would like to know if an oil company is stamping "MB-Approval" on their bottles without being allowed to... If it's true that this oil isn't Mercedes approved, there would likely be massive complications involved

So if it is approved by MB, which I comfortably believe it is, then it's good enough for a VW with 502/505 spec

Also, please show us your virgin oil analysis on how this oil didn't meet the specs... I have been running it in an old ALH and my engine hasn't blown up yet... I plan on doing an oil analysis eventually to see how this oil holds up, but i'm not concerned one bit. It's frustrating when vendors claim something is crap without actually providing any evidence

Just because it isn't brand name, doesn't mean it's crap... so please back up your claims
Reminds me of the 5w-40 oil Frisco was selling a couple of years ago. You really think that was an actual synthetic 5w-40 blend? Probably wouldn't cause much damage to an ALH or AHU, but I wouldn't have been using it in a BEW and newer engine line-up.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Oil companies use 2 terms "Approved" and "Meets". One is approved by the OEM manufacturer, the latter is merely a claim by the oil company that it meets the spec. Oil companies have to pay OEMs significant amounts of money every few years to maintain the letter of approval. However without the official letter, you are at their mercy for quality....

If you are under warranty ensure your oil is "Approved" for the spec of your vehicle.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Did you people read anything I just said? Oil companies won't stamp "MB-Approval" on the back of an oil bottle UNLESS IT'S APPROVED BY MERCEDES... If they claim it meets Mercedes spec, it was will say "MB xxx.xx, not "MB-Approval xxx.xx"... So unless motomaster is blatantly lying, it's Mercedes approved

Here's a comparison

supertech 5w40

Motomaster

Precision, please stop making claims you have no evidence off... without any actual proof, your claims are just that, your own personal claims, which are baseless... 5w40 was a 5w30???? Where did you come up with that? Do you have a machine that measures viscosity??? I'd love to see these claims, i'm sure you could start massive class actions for companies selling false advertised items

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
It's all in the first line of the claim "Meets or exceeds". That does not mean it has actual approval. If it has an approval the oil manufacturer will have a letter on file from the OEM stating it is. You can request them from an reputable oil company.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
CDi I dont want to argue with you. It is kind of pointless. I am not claiming any thing. I just want to see a VOA or UOA and yes there are labs that have equipment to test oil. I use them on regular bases. Keystone in USA is the one I use. They can tell the grade, TBN , boiling point and all the other information... and last saying meets MB XXXX dones not mean it is approved. I am done here.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I wont be naming any oil company but the last one I tested which was a 5W40 ended up to be a 5W30. It was not even the right Viscosity. Another brand that I tested 3 years ago ended up being a 15W50 with TBN of 4 on a virgin oil.
This is one thing that drives me nuts: why on earth would you not name names in a situation like this?
"I know for a fact that Company X did this nefarious thing, but...I won't name them." WHY? To protect their "good" name, so that they can continue to swindle the unknowing masses?

The only reasonable conclusions are:
1. You're worried you'd be exposed to potential legal action for defamation (which shouldn't be a concern because you have incontrovertible proof, right?)
or
2. You have some kind of business relationship with them that you don't want to sour by publicly outing them.

Either way, you're doing nothing for the community here when you cast doubt with zero evidence for one company's product (Canadian Tire oil) by citing disreputable activity - again, for which you have proof! - by another company...which you refuse to name (for no stated reason). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Uberhare

I just said twice that if it says "MB-Approval xxx.xx" instead of "MB xxx.xx" then it's approved. No oil bottle says it's approved in Canada, they all say meets or exceeds... Don't believe me, go look at Quaker or pennzoil euro 5w40, it says the EXACT same thing, AND, those two oils can be found at Canadian Tire also, AND they are on Mercedes Bevo website... I won't bother posting them here because people clearly like to only skim and point out what interests them.

Precision

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you... I used your services once a long time ago and I sourced my own parts and you refused to use a part with a brand name on it because you said it's crap... When I asked around, people said what on earth is that guy talking about, they are a reputable company... After doing some digging back then, indeed they were, and still are, a reputable German supplier of parts for all German makes and others. We are all entitled to our own opinion, but throwing out baseless claims is just dumb... Nuje couldn't have said it better

Last edited:

Remnant Ministries

TDI
2004 JETTA

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I know there aren't many vw's kicking around that meet this oil spec, but hey figured i'd bring it up, might be useful. I just did an oil change with castrol 5w40, but i'll gladly give this a try next time
My ALH is still kicking. Will try this. Thanks.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 vw jetta 1.9 alh 5 spd
Thats what I'm running right now, works great, great price when it's on sale at candian tire.

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon