Newbie - Cold Start Normal?

tdidmax

Hi all,

I wanted to know how much smoke and engine 'bucking' is normal on a cold start. We have a 2000 TDI with about 46000 miles on it (Had it since new). When it is started when it is cold outside (Say below 40), we get some smoke (Not overwhelming) that stops after about 10 to 15 seconds, and the engine seems to buck (If it was a gas, I'd say it was missing) for about 10 to 15 seconds. Is this considered normal? I always thought it was, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I think you need to check your glow plugs to see if they are all functioning. Sounds like one or more might be on the way south.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
When i start my car in the COLD, i can hear the engine chatter a little louder for 10-20 sec, but it goes away. The tach will wobble a little immeaditely after starting. As far as i know, this is normal. A less mechanically inclined peron probably wouldn't even notice. When i started it in the school lot b4 going home i would always rev the engeine up and make a massive cloud of smoke, great fun. The smoke would go away very quickly.

-Jason

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
"sorta" normal. Your car may have retarded injection timing, which exacerbates the problem.

Some cetane-improving fuel additives would also help the hard start. If you don't have a CEL your glow plugs are probably fine.