Glow Plug Problems

bob13

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have an 06 Jetta that is having constant glow plug issues. In the last 22 months I have 8 engine light / workshop emissions indicators, which turned out to be bad glow plugs. In fact, in the last 2 months I've have 4 glow plugs fail. It's always a different one, but eventually all 4 will fail, one after the other.

I've replaced the glow plug harness incluuding the controller unit and bridge and recently put in a new battery hoping this would solve the problem. But things are getting worse.

The VW dealer dosen't have any idea why this is happening. Every few weeks or a month, I come in and they put a new glow plug in and tell me everything is OK. They fail so often, at least I don't have to pay for them.

It happened againt today and I'm off to the dealer on Monday.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I should tell the service people to look for?

Thanks;
Bob

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
Have you manually checked the resistance with an ohm meter across all glow plugs when it says one has failed. The dealer may simply just be doing what the computer says, when the real problem is elsewhere.

Hurst

demhaizar

TDI
Jetta TDI 2006, 328d X-Drive, 2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I just replaced glow plugs in my 2006, the following is what I went through...

1. When I scanned with VCDS the engine reads as a BEW NOT a BRM
2. So I call up the 1st VW parts # and talked extensively with Zeb, who was also under the impression that I should have a BRM motor according to my VIN.
3. I ordered 4 plugs #N10591609, even though he said the BRM should take N10591608. I told him I would check the voltage and physical length of the glow plugs before I even attempt installing.
4. N10591609 work fine with the BEW motor. check the pics...

anyway install went without a problem, notice the overall length, it is the same. Old plugs (N10591604) compared to the new (N10591609), and both are 7V, the position of the threads is different on the body but the seat which tightens against the block is at the same distance from the tip. The distance from the taper to the tip is shorter with the new plugs, so I did not worry about the pistons disintegrating the tips, If the seat had been a different distance from the tip, I probably would NOT have installed them.
I started the engine and the check engine light disappeared, I also cleared the stored DTCs, I hope this helps in some way, GL.:)

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Yes, VCDS incorrectly calls a BRM "BEW". Just ignore it and go by the the stickers in your door jam and in the trunk (or window sticker if you have it).

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Engine type

On top of timing belt cover it will say BEW or BRM go with what it states.

demhaizar

TDI
Just updating for anyone considering this particular GP change....,
I have been running these in my 06 BRM without issues through last two Michigan winters, I have not had any issues with starting in the mornings at all, car is always parked outside.
There have been a few times when the car has been sitting outside for about two weeks without being started and I had no issues starting it. I just make sure to cycle the glow plugs twice before turning over.

Hope this update helps.....:)

Last edited:

Dustwilh

TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi
N10591609 glow plug update in BRM engine.

Are you still using the N10591609 glow plugs in your Brm? I know this is an old thread but I decided to order them since I got a good price on them, just waiting for them to come.I know they recommend N10591608 for Brm engine. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks guys.

demhaizar

TDI
Yes Sir,
still have them in my engine, no issues at all, I replaced the harness 4 months ago, when I crank it it is almost like it is waiting to start, half a crank and it starts, smooth as silk [as smooth as a diesel can be]:)

Last edited: