How do you test a used Injection Pump???

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
I recently bought a TDI engine that had died and I'm trying to part it out. The engine died because the #2 Main Cap came loose and went for a couple second long ride in the bottom end before the engine quit/the owner shut it off. I would assume the IP is in working order, but I was asked by someone interested in the IP to double check that it works. How would I do so without actually putting it on a car?

Thanks in advance! :eek:
-Fred-

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You would need a pretty fancy set of devices to check it on the bench. A place like DFIS in Oregon might test it for you. Or you could guarantee it to work on point of sale with return of the item.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, you would need a Bosch test bench. I'd either sell it "as-is" and tell the buyer the circumstances by which you came across it, or cal DFIS and ask them if they are buying cores.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Unfortunately, the quickest way to test it is to put it on an engine and run it..

I'm currently building an engine test stand for an ALH that will allow me to do things like check the condition of IP's and turbos and whatnot, and allow me to build and test an ALH without it being in a car. It's a WHOLE lot easier swapping a pump or turbo without that annoying car in the way haha