door freezing

Dragokatzov

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't have one anymore! :(
Its been a LONG time since i've been here.

I have a 1997 jetta A3. Sometimes the door will freeze, what happens, is when i try to pull the lever, it does not catch. i noticed when i open it form inside, when it works properly, it will catch once i pull it about 45 dagrees. when its not working, i can pull it all the way back, and it will not catch on anything! it happens with both front doors,t he drivers more than the passengers. i really need this issue fixed. i am 6'6 and not the thinest guy around so getting in through the drivers side is not an option for me!

thanks guys

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm not sure I understand the question but here's something I'm familiar with, which may or may not be your actual problem.

The rubber door gaskets on just about every car in N.America will have a tendency to freeze to the metal on the door opening when they get wet, especially during/after a wash.

When I lived in Canada I took to the habit of, after washing the car, to dry the rubbers, lube the gaskets with sillicone spray, then leave the car outside for 15-20 mins with the doors open (if possible, of course).

It's just the part of the "stuff you gotta deal with" when you live up north.

JP

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
I've had to climb in through the back doors a few times in the A3. Same problem...something in the door latch mechanism freezes up. You pull on the handle but nothing catches. I have a habit of spray washing the car fairly regularly to get the salt and crud off. The door freeze-up usually happens after I've spray washed and the temps drop off sharply overnight.

Sorry, but no solution to suggest. I don't know what component is freezing that "frees up" once it thaws.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
was also going to suggest to lube the rubber sometimes they stick in the winter. But if it were not sticking could be the lockes themselves

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Is the rubber sticking Thats not what i am reading above. It could be the door locking lever is not fully coming up fully. My Pass. side does the same thing it takes a few times of pulling on the lever to open the door. If i reach through from the back and pull up on the knob that final 1/8 of an inch it opens right. Lubing the rubber and the other things listed above are good for the winter but I would check that the door latch is working right from the outside too. Mine always work fine fron the inside like yours it is only when doing it from the outside that I have any problems.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
ALCO said:
I've had to climb in through the back doors a few times in the A3. Same problem...something in the door latch mechanism freezes up. You pull on the handle but nothing catches. I have a habit of spray washing the car fairly regularly to get the salt and crud off. The door freeze-up usually happens after I've spray washed and the temps drop off sharply overnight.

Sorry, but no solution to suggest. I don't know what component is freezing that "frees up" once it thaws.
Next time you do the spraying, try to treat the lock mechanism with WD40. WD=water displacement. Do this before you park it overnight. No guarantees - but since you have some anyways - give it a try.

kev14

my solution in scotland is pour hot water over the handle
area to thaw the frozen lock, ;) works every time