A3 clockspring

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
So, I waited 1.5 weeks for my Bentley to arrive, only to find it has nothing about the clockspring. The only thing it says is to take it to the dealer and not mess with it.

While messing with the airbag module may be a little dangerous, the clockspring unplugged on both ends seems pretty safe.
Anyway, I don't have end to end continuity through the clockspring. I assume this isn't good, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. No continuity = broken, right?
Also, one of the few mentions in the Bentley of the clockspring is that is has a red airbag connector. I've also seen a picture of one elsewhere that had a red connector. Mine is yellow. Does the color matter? Will a red one work in place of the yellow? I read in another post all B4/A3 clocksprings are interchangeable, just want to be sure before I lay out the cash.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
The clockspring connectors I've seen are all yellow. I recall the clockspring continuity check to not be effective with these for some reason. They fail fairly commonly. Just replace it, they're cheap if I remember correctly. I do believe that the A3 and B4 parts are the same FWIW.

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Dweebus said:
So, I waited 1.5 weeks for my Bentley to arrive, only to find it has nothing about the clockspring. The only thing it says is to take it to the dealer and not mess with it.

While messing with the airbag module may be a little dangerous, the clockspring unplugged on both ends seems pretty safe.
Anyway, I don't have end to end continuity through the clockspring. I assume this isn't good, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. No continuity = broken, right?
Also, one of the few mentions in the Bentley of the clockspring is that is has a red airbag connector. I've also seen a picture of one elsewhere that had a red connector. Mine is yellow. Does the color matter? Will a red one work in place of the yellow? I read in another post all B4/A3 clocksprings are interchangeable, just want to be sure before I lay out the cash.
Clocksprings are for the faint of heart. I opened one before and guess what, I bought a new one after trying to wind it back up correctly. No they aren't cheap. I found a used one from a B4 for my A3 for $40. New they are around $200.

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the responses guys.
After playing with it for a bit, I actually found a broken connection inside the yellow connector which was easy to solder back together. I reinstalled it and cleared the code and it looks good.
Yes, they are expensive. Over $200 for a new one. I think the cheapest used one I found was around $55, plus shipping (and who knows how long it will last).

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Keir_Asher said:
Clocksprings are for the faint of heart. I opened one before and guess what, I bought a new one after trying to wind it back up correctly. No they aren't cheap. I found a used one from a B4 for my A3 for $40. New they are around $200.
I typoed this. I meant to say AREN'T for the faint of heart.

I can almost hear the cartoonish BOING as I popped mine open! :eek:
:D

NautMC

TDI
1998 TDI
I recently pulled my airbag and steering wheel. After reassembling according to Bentley my airbag light came on. After driving around with it for a couple of weeks a friend of mine reset the light with vag com now the light is off. Is everything presumably ok ? Is a self test completed everytime car is started ? If I didnt mess up the clockspring and the light is off am I good to go ? I had the dealer look into the airbag and they immediately recommended a new clockspring but I didnt get one. i dont know if they even tried to clear the code or if the just read it. Anyone have any thoughts ? thanks